Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mouse caught fire..

Options
  • 02-12-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi . I know this might sound a bit crazy , but last week my mouse caught fire. in a moment of panic I plug out my pc . now the pc wont turn back on . all im getting is a flashing amber light on the back ..I was wondering was it me that did the damage by plugging it out or the mouse catching fire . cheers micheal..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Did the mouse set itself alight, or did it get set alight by something else?

Either way it could have shorted the USB port, not sure how resilient the board would be to that. The flashing amber light is likely the network port and is normal if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 michael12175

the usb lead itself melted and caught fire.have tried every thing to get the pc running but no joy . wont even even on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's possible the problem started at the PC end and the USB port shorting was what caused the mouse to go on fire?

I'm assuming this isn't a wireless mouse?

EDIT : just saw your reply.

Might be something simple like a fuse somewhere but it's not looking good to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For it to draw that much current it'd have to be shorting the port. Was it some cheap unbranded mouse?

Was it plugged in the back or the front of the case? If its the back open the case and get a torch and check the IO area(where all the connectors are) for any visible discolouration.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 michael12175

yes it was a cheap mouse that was got in a pc store. checked the connectors inside to see if any were lose and none were and no decolourization..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

yes it was a cheap mouse that was got in a pc store. checked the connectors inside to see if any were lose and none were and no decolourization..
    Some motherboards are very susceptible to usb short damage.
    Possible it needs replacement

Be glad it wasn't like this

Now does its look like this?
    FASHION_MICE_INTERLINK_IMSG12FIRE.jpg

Advertisement