Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which housing estates in Waterford don't have UPC cable ?

Options
  • 02-12-2013 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

Is there any estates in Waterford that don't have cable and therefore can't get UPC?

A friend is moving back here and has asked me to keep an eye out for possible houses to rent however she wants UPC.

I thought you could get it everywhere but now I have been told it may not be possible to get it in Carrig an Aird or Foxwood, does anyone know for definite if this is true?

Fairfield is also a possibility but again she wants UPC ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

See what area they are looking to move to and just check it on the UPC website when the address is put it you will know for sure then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

obezyana wrote: »
    See what area they are looking to move to and just check it on the UPC website when the address is put it you will know for sure then.

I'm looking to rule out, its not worth looking at a house if service is not available in the area !!

If anyone can tell me of areas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Lived in Fairfield last year and it is set up for UPC.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm looking to rule out, its not worth looking at a house if service is not available in the area !!

If anyone can tell me of areas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

For what its worth, eircom & Vodafone do fibre in Waterford up to 70mb. This is increasing to 100mb in the new year. eircom do tv but upc do MMDS tv where cable isn't available.

I assume UPC is available in most estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

just be aware that just because an estate says its enabled for UPC, doesn't mean its enhanced services are available IE The faster 120-200 meg BB or horizon services

Viewmount had UPC but could only get the bog standard 30 meg BB and TV services, its only in the 2 months that UPC have done the upgrade work for enhanced services here

Just something to contemplate when your looking

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Sully wrote: »
    For what its worth, eircom & Vodafone do fibre in Waterford up to 70mb. This is increasing to 100mb in the new year. eircom do tv but upc do MMDS tv where cable isn't available.

I assume UPC is available in most estates?

You can call me biased if you like as I work for UPC but Vodafone/Eircom in all fairness isnt worth s***. They are only tapping off their existing system and it just looks fancy on paper, in reality - nightmare!!!
    OP Here are a few areas to rule out in the Waterford area straight off for cable connections:
    Tramore
    Ferrybank (Anything from Abbey School up to Abbey Park)
    Parts of Six Cross Roads Area and Old Tramore Road (Dependant on exact house - not all get it)
    Dunmore Road area is still being upgraded in parts as is Ballygunner area.

You could just get the MMDS in these areas as Sully said but it isnt worth a crap to be honest.
    shinzon wrote: »
    just be aware that just because an estate says its enabled for UPC, doesn't mean its enhanced services are available IE The faster 120-200 meg BB or horizon services

Viewmount had UPC but could only get the bog standard 30 meg BB and TV services, its only in the 2 months that UPC have done the upgrade work for enhanced services here

Just something to contemplate when your looking

Shin

True unfortunately Shin - Looks like it should be complete pretty soon though.

OP if you want to check a particular address for service available and speeds etc just pm it to me :)
    Also if you are signing up for packs then there is a few different offers out there depending on what department you go through.

Carphone Warehouse: €50 voucher if you take phone and bb, €100 if you take tv with it.
    DID: €50 voucher if you take phone and bb, €100 if you take tv with it.
    PC World: €50 voucher if you take phone and bb, €100 if you take tv with it.
    UPC Website: 4 months half price.

Activation fees for them all is €45 once off for phone + bb or €90 for all 3.

Hope that helps :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can call me biased if you like as I work for UPC but Vodafone/Eircom in all fairness isnt worth s***. They are only tapping off their existing system and it just looks fancy on paper, in reality - nightmare!!!

It's not as good as UPC, but its a very good alternative! A lot of people find it very good from reading comments in the broadband forum. It does exactly what it says on the tin and UPC quickly reacted to secure customers by offering new packages.

The competition is savage!
    OP Here are a few areas to rule out in the Waterford area straight off for cable connections:
    Tramore
    Parts of Six Cross Roads Area and Old Tramore Road (Dependant on exact house - not all get it)

You could just get the MMDS in these areas as Sully said but it isnt worth a crap to be honest.

OP if you want to check a particular address for service available and speeds etc just pm it to me :)
    Also if you are signing up for packs then there is a few different offers out there depending on what department you go through.

Carphone Warehouse: €50 voucher if you take phone and bb, €100 if you take tv with it.

Will it ever come to Tramore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Sully wrote: »
    It's not as good as UPC, but its a very good alternative! A lot of people find it very good from reading comments in the broadband forum. It does exactly what it says on the tin and UPC quickly reacted to secure customers by offering new packages.

The competition is savage!

Will it ever come to Tramore?

Not in this lifetime im afraid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

Most of Ferrybank can get UPC, All Rockshire Road, 'old ferrybank' and the newer estates Bellfield, Clover Meadows, Oak Ridge, Aylesbury. Its just the estates on the abbey road that can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Tramore

Thanks very much PremierDeise this is brillant to know, I can just pass it on

Thanks to everyone ye've really helped me out here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

bilibob wrote: »
    Most of Ferrybank can get UPC, All Rockshire Road, 'old ferrybank' and the newer estates Bellfield, Clover Meadows, Oak Ridge, Aylesbury. Its just the estates on the abbey road that can't.

You can get it in Christendom estate on the Abbey Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

wobbles wrote: »
    Lived in Fairfield last year and it is set up for UPC.

There are two Fairfield's in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Dunno what UPC's contractors are upto, saw one of the sierra engineers at the whatever the things called on the front of my house this morning, grand says I thatll be them hooking the new cable up, they spent 3 quarters of an hour up there fiddling with it then buggered off. Went out and still none of the cables connected.

Sorry derailing the thread a bit

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PopRocks

Is it not in Tramore? I checked the website the other day and it gave me the go ahead for the Tramore address I tried.

PopRocks wrote: »
    Is it not in Tramore? I checked the website the other day and it gave me the go ahead for the Tramore address I tried.

That's their MMDS service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Sorry for bumping this. Is UPC available out the Carrickpherish Road, around Mount Suir?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bilibob wrote: »

Just be careful with Ferrybank though. I bought a house in a UPC enabled area, and only after moving in and looking to get the BB i found out that the row my house starts on (38 and up) was Phase 2 housing and doesn't have UPC. THe neighbours across the road (like, 15 feet) have it. I don't. Not happy. Stuck with sub-standard Eircom/Vodafone and even thought i was told by both that they would have fibre here last November, i'm still waiting.

Congestion sucks.

Advertisement