Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget iPhone 5 Charging Cables?

• 02-12-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has come across any cheap iPhone 5 cables that are reliable. I've tried a few from eBay and have had mixed success with them being a bit temperamental.

Always found the €1 iPhone 4 cables to be perfect but have had some dodgy ones so far with the 5.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Because apple have put a micro chip in the new lightning connectors that makes it dangerous too use those cheap connections

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I never understand people who buy a €700+ phone and then look for cheap charging cables which have the potential to banjax the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

whiterebel wrote: »
    I never understand people who buy a €700+ phone and then look for cheap charging cables which have the potential to banjax the phone?

Because you know the official ones are so blatantly overpriced and most folk need three or four cables (I.e. living room, bedroom, work and travel). Could end up costing €100+ just to keep your device charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

whiterebel wrote: »
    Was waiting for some high horse to come along....

Apples cables are way overpriced. Same as HDMI cables. The €2 HDMI cables are the same as the more expensive ones. I suppose I shouldn't buy the perfect cheap €2 cables for that either because my TV cost €700?

I had a phone selling business up until last year. I must have bought 100's of various charging cables for phones in my time mainly iPhone 4 type and micro USB and never had a problem.

Where is your evidence that that these cables could banjax your phone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/18/chinese-woman-electrocuted-by-iphone-4-likely-used-unauthorized-charger/

For the sake of a couple of euro, i'd rather have my life. I don't care how many years ye may have gotten away with using dodgy cables I'm not going to risk it.

• Advertisement

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/18/chinese-woman-electrocuted-by-iphone-4-likely-used-unauthorized-charger/

For the sake of a couple of euro, i'd rather have my life. I don't care how many years ye may have gotten away with using dodgy cables I'm not going to risk it.
    One link is to someone getting electrocuted which could have been for any number of reasons and the other has nothing to do with cables........

I also know there are crap cables on sale which is why my post is looking for any reliable non-Apple cables anyone has found!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Just wondering if anyone has come across any cheap iPhone 5 cables that are reliable. I've tried a few from eBay and have had mixed success with them being a bit temperamental.

Always found the €1 iPhone 4 cables to be perfect but have had some dodgy ones so far with the 5.

I'll let ya know by the end of the week . Ordered charger / cable and 30pin to 8pin adaptor on eBay Saturday for iphone 5 . If it's passes the ios7 test I'll be happy :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I thought it was just the actual plug bit that is dodgy on the cheap chargers? I.e if you use a budget lightening cable with an apple plug it's safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Prior to the lightning connector I think the quality of third party cables was often just as good as Apple, at a fraction of the price. This new chip has changed that. There is so much old tat flooding the market, much of which either doesn't work or falls apart in a few weeks. I've always been a great believer that Apple cables are enormously overpriced for what you get, when you consider companies like Monoprice have traditionally been able to provide just as good a cable at a fraction of the price, but at the moment I don't think it's worth the risk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Was waiting for some high horse to come along....

Apples cables are way overpriced. Same as HDMI cables. The €2 HDMI cables are the same as the more expensive ones. I suppose I shouldn't buy the perfect cheap €2 cables for that either because my TV cost €700?

I had a phone selling business up until last year. I must have bought 100's of various charging cables for phones in my time mainly iPhone 4 type and micro USB and never had a problem.

Where is your evidence that that these cables could banjax your phone???

You do understand that a HDMI cable doesn't power the TV, don't you? If you think these cheap copy cables are ok, maybe you're better off out of the phone selling business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

As much as I love Apple I have to say the cables are way too overpriced. For me I'll only buy MFi certified cables and accessories. The problem is they cost €19 from Apple, and no matter how much you argue the price is too high for something that people can need a number of, and also get lost/damaged often.

They should be €10 max IMO. The imitations don't come close to the official cables, especially when it comes to fast charging your device. There are official MFi cables on the market which are cheaper than the Apple ones with the same great build quality. The likes of Griffin or Belkin might offer a cheaper version.

DubDJ wrote: »
    As much as I love Apple I have to say the cables are way too overpriced. For me I'll only buy MFi certified cables and accessories. The problem is they cost €19 from Apple, and no matter how much you argue the price is too high for something that people can need a number of, and also get lost/damaged often.

They should be €10 max IMO. The imitations don't come close to the official cables, especially when it comes to fast charging your device. There are official MFi cables on the market which are cheaper than the Apple ones with the same great build quality. The likes of Griffin or Belkin might offer a cheaper version.

My sentiments exactly. Griffin or Belkin would be my choices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

My biggest issue with third party cables & chargers is their unreliability. They can break-down so easily and when that happens at the wrong time you're screwed. I have one back up 'official' lightning cable & power adapter for each of my iPhone & iPad's just in case. It can be costly initially but it's great having spares.

As for the argument of "you paid €700 for a phone, why would you buy a cheap charger". I don't buy that. Just because you have an iPhone, it doesn't mean you have or want to spend the money on a €19 lightning cable when you can pick up one for €1.49 etc. My reason for not going down that road is reliability issues faced in the past & also the error message some cables cause with iOS 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Duff wrote: »
    I thought it was just the actual plug bit that is dodgy on the cheap chargers? I.e if you use a budget lightening cable with an apple plug it's safe?

This is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

This is true.

I think Apple IPhone users are fair game for being robbed, I was in my local Tesco last night looking at phone screen protectors. The Samsung S4 protector was €6 and the same brand manufacturer equivelant for iPhone 5 is €13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Advertisement