Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Rugby player looking for club to join in the Southside of Dublin

Options
  • 02-12-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

Basically I am a person with little to no experience in rugby that is looking to join some club in the vicinity of Stillorgan (10 to 15 min drive without traffic) in Dublin. The club I am looking for is one that must have the patience to deal with someone who has very little knowledge of the rules in the game.

I'm a fairly big lad (6 foot 3 with big legs and shoulders) and one of the reasons I want to start playing is simply because of all of the people who ask me what sports I play questioning me on why I never played Rugby as I have "the build of a rugby player".

I'm 23 and I'm not terribly unfit either so the training shouldn't be a problem.
    I was told Id be a 2nd row because of my size but I can give good bursts of pace if they are needed!

Also I wasnt quite sure when the season started, someone mentioned to me that it may be in feb or march so I want to get my mind made up before then.

Any help would be appreciated here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Tallaght always welcome new players and is a good fit for beginners. Of course your local club Stilorgan has a range of teams at various levels.

Season is halfway through now, so get joining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnnerz

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Season is halfway through now, so get joining :)

When does the season finish? Are you allow join half way through?
    I was wondering about registration fees too, I dont want to pay fees if I figure out 3 weeks down the line that I am terrible and its not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Stillorgan have a club too. They train in Clonskeagh if memory serves. What some do is start off in the lower leagues (J4/J5) and move up as and when they're ready to. Have a look for the Stillorgan RFC online. Teams are always keen to get new lads in the door. Just started in Clontarf myself this season. Best thing I've done in a while.

Johnnerz wrote: »
    I was wondering about registration fees too, I dont want to pay fees if I figure out 3 weeks down the line that I am terrible and its not for me!

Finishes March I think. Of course you can join in whenever.oat clubs will have registration fees but most won't make you pay right away. You'll be able to find your feet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Season will go on til April with cup competitions etc.

Stillorgan website is www.dublinrugby.com and you can tweet the @dublinrugby.com

They'd be very happy to have you. Last games of the year are this weekend and training wraps up on Thursday. If you drop them a line someone will get back with dates for resumption of training and beginners area always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm 23 and I'm not terribly unfit either so the training shouldn't be a problem.
    I was told Id be a 2nd row because of my size but I can give good bursts of pace if they are needed!

Pace, as well as hand and foot dexterity will largely determine where you'll play. Have you played soccer or GAA before?

If you're pretty mobile, most likely you'll be stuck on the wing initially, as you get a handle on things - there's the least amount of defensive duty and you can spend time in-game getting used to the defensive systems.

If you're a trundling lump who just like hitting things, then yes, you may end up in the tight five :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

St Marys J4/5 are doing some light training over Christmas if you want to come along and get a feel for it. Based in Templeogue. Google 'Maurice Davin St Marys' and you'll get his number or pm me and I'll arrange for him to contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If only to be fair, I want to add CYM to the mix. A small club and lots of good guys on board as well.

And the prettiest women's team in Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've often wondered where is the densist cluster of rugby clubs in the world? I would imagine Dublin 4 would be pretty high up the list: Old Belvedere, Monkstown RFC, Railway Union, Lansdowne, Wesley, Bective, Wanderers, Leinster Rugby pro team, UCD... that's 9 by my count, I'm sure I'm missing a few too!

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I've often wondered where is the densist cluster of rugby clubs in the world? I would imagine Dublin 4 would be pretty high up the list: Old Belvedere, Monkstown RFC, Railway Union, Lansdowne, Wesley, Bective, Wanderers, Leinster Rugby pro team, UCD... that's 9 by my count, I'm sure I'm missing a few too!

A lot of them have moved their grounds out towards Stepaside in recent years. A few are groundsharing together.

[Jackass] wrote: »

A lot of them have moved their grounds out towards Stepaside in recent years. A few are groundsharing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

flyton5 wrote: »
    Lansdowne, Bective, Wesley all have had grounds out Stepaside area for years. Wesley and Lansdowne used ground share in Kilgobbin and now ground share on Ballcorus road near Kiltiernan.
    Bective still use nearby Glenamuck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Join Marys.

cSMn9Aq.png

That's Mossy in the scrum cap on his way to winning more silverware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SexyCarebear90

What are the odds of seeing the third richest man in Ballinasloe here? Howiya getting on up in Dublin John? I'd say you'd do great work at your local club in Stillorgan. Can't see you at Mary's myself, big club, even too big for you. I don't remember many people asking do you play rugby back in your Galway days though, ya filthy animal.

Advertisement