If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips TV Picture issue

Options
  • 02-12-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I bought a Philips 37PFL8404 TV off of you back in 2009 in the Dublin shop off of Ashley (I think) and I am experiencing a bit of a problem with it. This morning when I turned it on the picture was highly colourised, especially around peoples faces with blues tones showing and the image was a bit blocky. I did a factory reset on the tv hoping this would fix it but unfortunately it didn't. I didn't have time to do a firmware resintall on it this morning but I will attempt that tonight but I'm not too hopeful it will fix it. I was wondering if you had come across this before with this or other Philips models and if so is it fixable or am I better off taking the hit now and getting a new TV as unfortunately my 5 year warranty ran out 2 months ago (typical).

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

goose06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I bought a Philips 37PFL8404 TV off of you back in 2009 in the Dublin shop off of Ashley (I think) and I am experiencing a bit of a problem with it. This morning when I turned it on the picture was highly colourised, especially around peoples faces with blues tones showing and the image was a bit blocky. I did a factory reset on the tv hoping this would fix it but unfortunately it didn't. I didn't have time to do a firmware resintall on it this morning but I will attempt that tonight but I'm not too hopeful it will fix it. I was wondering if you had come across this before with this or other Philips models and if so is it fixable or am I better off taking the hit now and getting a new TV as unfortunately my 5 year warranty ran out 2 months ago (typical).

Thanks
    John
    Hi John,

Not one I've seen before to be honest and it soubds like a strange issue - unfortunately MF services who were real Philips TV service experts have now closed down in Dublin so it's difficult to even recommend where you should go but I'd probably give the guys in Plasmacare a shot: http://plasmacare.ie/ they are generally pretty good and one of our old engineers from The Philips Shop helps them out there so there is some 'in-house' knowledge, but I'd be sure to get an estimate before any service - the guys at Plasmacare will come and collect to be fair, so their Customer service is pretty good.

If you give them a shout, come back and tell us how you got on..

Keep us posted ( of course try the firmware 1st!!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Hi guys,

Thanks
    John
    Hi John,

Not one I've seen before to be honest and it soubds like a strange issue - unfortunately MF services who were real Philips TV service experts have now closed down in Dublin so it's difficult to even recommend where you should go but I'd probably give the guys in Plasmacare a shot: http://plasmacare.ie/ they are generally pretty good and one of our old engineers from The Philips Shop helps them out there so there is some 'in-house' knowledge, but I'd be sure to get an estimate before any service - the guys at Plasmacare will come and collect to be fair, so their Customer service is pretty good.

If you give them a shout, come back and tell us how you got on..

Keep us posted ( of course try the firmware 1st!!)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Thanks John, I'll give that a shot if the firmware doesn't fix it for me.

Hey guys TV has been officially written off so I'm in the market for a new one and seeing as I got a pretty deal off of you 5 years ago I'd like to give you the business. I'd like a 40" LED so what would you suggest with a budget of around €700-800?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hey guys TV has been officially written off so I'm in the market for a new one and seeing as I got a pretty deal off of you 5 years ago I'd like to give you the business. I'd like a 40" LED so what would you suggest with a budget of around €700-800?
    Its a no brainer - you have to go Panasonic at the moment - Coming right in on budget we can do the Pana TXL42et61 at £619.95 / €759.99 - stunning TV and great feature set as well - we will do sipping on these at just £14.95.

if you (slightly) bust the budget, and break the only other rule you gave us as well - ie go for a Plasma rather than an LED we have a great deal on the Pana TXP42ST60 and if I break the rules I could do it for you at €800 - it's the best TV you can possibly buy for that money: http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txp42st60b/pana-txp42st60b at €800 - it's really mega value - here it is reviewed at £800!
    http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/tvs/panasonic-tx-p42st60-review-50012204/

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John is there any reason why you'd go for Plasma over LED?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

The plasmas have a much more natural look to them and they handle motion much better than the LED counterparts.

They also offer better contrast levels and they look less processed. Granted LED's will give you a much brighter and more vivid and detailed image but plasma is much more natural. LED TV's are thinner although the new range of plasmas is not a million miles away.

Hope that helps but keep us posted if you have any further queries.

ATB

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks for that. Would you expect much of a drop off in price for the Pana TXP42ST60 or the TXL42ET60B in the January sales?
    As funding if fairly tight at the moment so I might have to wait until then to put an order in for one.

Thanks
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply.

TV margins are so tight that unless there is a cost price drop by the manufacturers, we would not be able to discount these screens.

We only find out the day before the sale and a lot of TV's are not discounted.

I hope this helps but the issue may be that availability of the ST60 over Christmas and after, may be short.

Hope that helps.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.