Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fertiliser prices - Forward buying

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

is it not too cold for any growth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

is it not too cold for any growth?

I would agree with this. Without growth there is not going to be any uptake of any fertiliser spread. Most likly it will sit until leached away by rainfall or cause burn. It is a waste imo to spread fertiliser before the grass starts growing and any active uptake of nutrients is likley.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

gozunda wrote: »
    I would agree with this. Without growth there is not going to be any uptake of any fertiliser spread. Most likly it will sit until leached away by rainfall or cause burn. It is a waste imo to spread fertiliser before the grass starts growing and any active uptake of nutrients is likley.

Spreading early can be such hit and miss, i dont bother spreading til first or second week of february. Slurry is a better job early, will be getting the lighter covers spread before end of Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Work on soil temp here don't spread untill temp is above 8 degress and usually don't spread anything on covers over 2400 untill they are grazed. No calendar farming here tho and can spread behind the cows untill dry off weather and soil temp depending. If the n is taken in by the plant before it gets to cold it stays locked in the plant acting as a antifreeze and ready to grow in spring when soil temp increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Mulumpy wrote: »
    Spreading early can be such hit and miss, i dont bother spreading til first or second week of february. Slurry is a better job early, will be getting the lighter covers spread before end of Jan.

Your on the money if soil temps aren't high. With high covers of grass you can't go in with slurry.

My plan temp permitting is to spread 30 units on 2/3 of farm and follow with slurry after grazing, with the other 1/3 3000k lagoon slurry followed by 50 units urea when next split is going out.

I made a big error last Jan when soil temps were high of only spreading slurry on lower covers and going with urea in Feb, well I'll never made that mistake again as I'd say I lost a tonne dm growth on the rest of the year

There was great covers on the ground early locked up and I didn't take the chance to increase it "grass grows grass"!!

Again I'll make the decision based on soil temp, now I have to go and get a thermometer as my old one is in the silage pit!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I work on soil temp when it is 6 and rising I spread 8 is too late. When Urea was nearly 450/ton I used to go out with 23 units/acre now that it is down I may put out more that 23 units in first cover. Use slurry as well on lower covers however would want there to be the right weather for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭jersey101

Where would I get a soil thermometer?

jersey101 wrote: »

You can use an Thermo that goes from 0-50 degree. Ideal one is an Alachol based or digital as they react very fast. Ask in a few pharmecys, or a shop that sells Home Brew kits eill definitely have same. Should ne real easy to get one that goes from -10 to 110 as they are the most common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Any garden centre will have them id say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

Where would I get a soil thermometer?[/

http://www.met.ie/latest/agricultural.asp

Best of the lot, and you can see what way the temp is going compared with the previous week

In your mothers kitchen I'd say, it's the one that was sticking out of the turkeys hole. Don't tell her and she'll think she's mislaid it.

I get a meat one in a homeware shop. If you want one that has "soil thermometer" printed on it grasstec website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

This is some handy thread. Was in co-op this morning. Asked about fertiliser prices and the manager started tapping away at the keyboard, I whipped out the smart phone. " I'm getting 390 for urea", are ya I says I'm getting 350 here. We'll see how it pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

ordered c.a.n and 27-2.5-5 yesterday. can E275 and 27-2.5-5 E380. how does that compare (that's on pallets E5 cheaper toplift)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

farmerjj wrote: »
    ordered c.a.n and 27-2.5-5 yesterday. can E275 and 27-2.5-5 E380. how does that compare (that's on pallets E5 cheaper toplift)

that's not bad imo. Got 285 for can. Told them I will give it a few weeks. Won't be many takers at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

Anybody know any fertiliser retailers other than Dairygold in the Cork munster region. Urea is 390 and 18-6-12 is 400 with Dairygold seems to be a nice bit dearer than other quotes on here but Im only buying a few pallets too I suppose.

• Advertisement

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    Anybody know any fertiliser retailers other than Dairygold in the Cork munster region. Urea is 390 and 18-6-12 is 400 with Dairygold seems to be a nice bit dearer than other quotes on here but Im only buying a few pallets too I suppose.

mcdonnells fermoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Midwest farm nutrition, charleville

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

bandon coop
    barretts coppeen
    mcdonnells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

anyone buy prilled Urea as im hearing there isn't any about ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

Didn't hear that but you may be right. We have some if you are after a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Im never again buying prilled urea .I buy a lorry load and that more less does me until the start of june but I reckon that allowing for narrower spreading and the fact that the bags can get damp due to being stored along time its not worth the saving

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

So if I buy fertilizer now and get it delivered would it still be ok to spread in march ? or am I asking for trouble

rushvalley wrote: »
    So if I buy fertilizer now and get it delivered would it still be ok to spread in march ? or am I asking for trouble

I have stuff from last year still sitting in 500kg bags and a couple of bags from 2 years ago of another compound, I will bate it off the ground and it will spread the finest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

are some brands cheaper than others?

rushvalley wrote: »

Buy ever year in Jan/February and it is Ok until September now and again carry a ton over the winter. Just make sure to keep an eye on them in case they get damaged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

375 for urea, 285 for can+s, how's this fairing rep I was talking to reckons price could increase but he would say that I spose

Milked out wrote: »
    375 for urea, 285 for can+s, how's this fairing rep I was talking to reckons price could increase but he would say that I spose

Quoted €350 urea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

280 for 27% n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

was quoted 310 can and 380 urea and prices going to rise

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

delaval wrote: »
    Quoted €350 urea

350 is a very good quote for Urea. Where can it be bought at that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

where can n be got for 280 or less, in the west?

havent priced anywhere yet

visatorro wrote: »
    was quoted 310 can and 380 urea and prices going to rise

that's dear CAN,i got it for 275

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

urea at 375/t
    Can +S at 295/t
    0-10-20 at 395

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

49801 wrote: »
    urea at 375/t
    Can +S at 295/t
    0-10-20 at 395

Urea 15 to 20 a tonne too dear at those prices.can be still got at 355 here 350 at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Urea 15 to 20 a tonne too dear at those prices.can be still got at 355 here 350 at a push.

where can it be got? shouldnt be too far away from me if your in north tipp

im in galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Quoted 380 a ton for urea in bulk bags and 450 a ton for straight phosphate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mahoney_j wrote: »

Where, and is that for a load?
    C4d78 wrote: »
    350 is a very good quote for Urea. Where can it be bought at that price?

+1?

€370 for small bags but talk of it going up 20/ton before 1st Feb.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

anyone with a price for muriate of potash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

not even allowed say that word here bob... fert accs done and with the double counting of the p in meal used ,and in the subsequent slurry produced, another year without the option ... bar a few sneaky bags of 27`s this farm has recieved no compounds under nitrates dir....

urea 360 can 280 in a mixed load... 3 diff merchants with those prices

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

not even allowed say that word here bob... fert accs done and with the double counting of the p in meal used ,and in the subsequent slurry produced, another year without the option ... bar a few sneaky bags of 27`s this farm has recieved no compounds under nitrates dir....

urea 360 can 280 in a mixed load... 3 diff merchants with those prices

There is no P in muritate of potash, it is just 50% k

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

blue5000 wrote: »

There is no P in muritate of potash, it is just 50% k

half asleep earlier he said muriate i saw superphos:D....

440/ton but only buying 2T included in total Fertlizer order of about 18T mixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Are lads buying urea or can for spreading during the summer, ? Urea seems great value compared to can.

That sounds the same as last years price, I taught it was back up to €100 a ton :confused:.

Regarding Urea and summer spreading, with the price difference so big between itself and CAN you would have to go with Urea

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

where can n be got for 280 or less, in the west?

havent priced anywhere yet

Connacht gold, E290 cash

• Advertisement

The margins merchants and more so Coops are taking in fertiliser is way OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

If you can pay on the day and make a few phone calls you'll buy near enough to cost. A lot of unpaid bills from last year and merchants hungry for cash.

That has to be some material carried over from last year. new material should be less than that - not €100 less but not far from it

This could be an interesting discussion as to what people think merchants are making on fertiliser....

As said, cash is king, but if its going on account credit costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

hammer73 wrote: »
    This could be an interesting discussion as to what people think merchants are making on fertiliser....

As said, cash is king, but if its going on account credit costs money.

Co-op here gives €5/tonne off for cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement