Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fertiliser prices - Forward buying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Anyone any prices over the w/e.

Is there much fert stirring yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Urea 360 can 290 18 6 12 385,pasture sward 400,sul can 295.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Urea 360, can 280, s-can 290, granlime 140

Full load, cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

I'm postponing delivery till Feb, I think we've missed the boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Father tried urea here once 10 yr ago and it didn't work. Would low p and k affect the uptake of urea compared to can?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Urea 15 to 20 a tonne too dear at those prices.can be still got at 355 here 350 at a push.
    Urea 360 can 290 18 6 12 385,pasture sward 400,sul can 295.

3 or 4 days ago you said it could be bought at 350 at a push, I asked you where? Now you are saying 360. Have you actually bought anything?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    3 or 4 days ago you said it could be bought at 350 at a push, I asked you where? Now you are saying 360. Have you actually bought anything?

Sorry thought I pm you.yes I bought,urea at 340 before year end and since some more at 350 and 18 6 12 at 380.yalking to my rep yesterday and urea now 360 on account which means a pay for it now price of 350 to 355 applies if u get a full load.bought from Arrabawn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Didn't mean to be so harsh, but prices are being talked up by at least 10 and possibly 20 a ton, I got no pm from you anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

no need to be narky, I bought urea on account at €335/ton but I ain't saying where I got it!

blue5000 wrote: »
    Didn't mean to be so harsh, but prices are being talked up by at least 10 and possibly 20 a ton, I got no pm from you anyway.

No bother chief,Arrabawn talking up prices too saying that they bought a lot of stock early at low prices and now they're going back for new product at current prices..was told prices in mid feb could be edging back towards 400.could be salesman talk.i just bought enough to see me through to end of April.no panic to buy any more till I see how market pans out.with energy costs predicted to drop fert will drop so I'd be slow to forward buy too much

• Advertisement

funny man wrote: »
    no need to be narky, I bought urea on account at €335/ton but I ain't saying where I got it!

Aghhhh go on tell us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Aghhhh go on tell us!!

Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on goon goon go on

Go on go on go on go on! Go on!!! Go on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aghhhh go on tell us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

and it was to be bought cheaper than that if one was very smart in Nov/Dec. I was hoping to buy prilled a bit cheaper but there is none about. Buy it and get on with it, its only fertiliser a few quid one way or another isnt going to make or brake anyone. Anyone I see constantly ringing/asking/annoying reps/people for prices don't get on in business, as too much of there taught process is taking up penny pinching. they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I see nothing wrong with trying to get the best deal possible for yourself. Reps are doing their jobs and I'm doing mine. €15-20/t on a load of meal or fertilizer is worth more to me than maintaining some image to these reps and co-ops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Gillespy wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with trying to get the best deal possible for yourself. Reps are doing their jobs and I'm doing mine. €15-20/t on a load of meal or fertilizer is worth more to me than maintaining some image to these reps and co-ops.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Ya loyalty can be a one way street. Amazing how prices magically drop when you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Bob made a mistake with MOP bought my fertilizer on Friday mixed load MOP was put in at 385 I think minus 5 for paying up front not cash, cheque hope it cashes OK. Urea was 370, Can was around 270. 18.6.12 and 0.7.30 were all around the 380 mark. Granlime was 145. Will not get official reciept until delivery but store manager was telling me that CAN and Urea were going up this week. I think CAN was going up by over 30/ton. Not sure if I believed him.

Buy nearly all my fertilizer at this time of year between early bonus and discount for buying all togeather I find that it is as cheap in the long run as well it is in the yard and you if I got caught having to buy 1-2 ton at local co-op it ruins any savings made elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

mf240 wrote: »
    Ya loyalty can be a one way street. Amazing how prices magically drop when you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

If your merchants know your terms then I find you usually get on the money prices. I havnt time to be ringing the country with every transaction. I have no interest in dealing with guys who magically drop there prices when challenged. I have much more respect when a rep says thats the price and he cant do it for less. Merchants are the same as farmers and they often have product bought at bad prices. If pushed they might take a loss on product just to cut a deal but remember the money will have to be made up on you some other day.

• Advertisement

Bob I've tried loyalty and it works for a while, then they forget to return it. So now I'm loyal to another supplier and will till they try it on again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

There is a lot to be said for loyalty, but you have to pick your clients. There have been reps I have been loyal to and they have tried it on with me, so good luck to them, never again. Then again there are reps I have dealt with for 12+ yrs and we all know where we stand and everyone is happy.
    I haven't asked my fert rep his prices for years, but I do keep a keen eye on what he is charging me. He doesn't come near me for money till Dec, all interest get written off, I'll get a loyalty bonus from the coop which works out at about €9/ton, and get bonus shares in the coop. And he's never kept me waiting for a delivery.
    Loyalty works both ways, I know the deal I'm getting and he knows that he'll be the first person I ring for fert and he'll be getting a full load of fert out when I ring.

maxxuumman wrote: »
    There is a lot to be said for loyalty, but you have to pick your clients. There have been reps I have been loyal to and they have tried it on with me, so good luck to them, never again. Then again there are reps I have dealt with for 12+ yrs and we all know where we stand and everyone is happy.
    I haven't asked my fert rep his prices for years, but I do keep a keen eye on what he is charging me. He doesn't come near me for money till Dec, all interest get written off, I'll get a loyalty bonus from the coop which works out at about €9/ton, and get bonus shares in the coop. And he's never kept me waiting for a delivery.
    Loyalty works both ways, I know the deal I'm getting and he knows that he'll be the first person I ring for fert and he'll be getting a full load of fert out when I ring.

I work some thing similar with the guy I deal with,buy a virtuall full load gets discounts for cash etc always ring around but his price is always a little better than the rest. Most co-op's not have fixed price lists and all the salesman/rep can do is put you on the next rate aboue if you are within 1-2 ton of it. If you are buying a few loads maybe you will get better deals however neither do I want to be waiting until March for my fertilizer'

Also some co-op do loyalty bonus or give a rebate at yera end and you have to factor that in as well.

Thank god I've no fert spread, unreal rain since Sat and more to come

delaval wrote: »

+1 on that only got minimal slurry out too .looks like there won't be much chances this week either..thank god for my overground store

+1 on that only got minimal slurry out too .looks like there won't be much chances this week either..thank god for my overground store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Milk protein dropping off a cliff here, could really do with letting the cows out to grass but ain't going to happen yet with this weather.

Grass is growing though. The littlle .36 area we have grazed and come back all be it a small amount though

Grass is growing though. The littlle .36 area we have grazed and come back all be it a small amount though

I reckon growth has halved on what it was a month ago.virtually stopped here due to near waterlogged ground and soil temp is only a little over 5 degrees.afc is good though at 780 measured last week.hoping to get out next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

I reckon growth has halved on what it was a month ago.virtually stopped here due to near waterlogged ground and soil temp is only a little over 5 degrees.afc is good though at 780 measured last week.hoping to get out next week

Not buying Fert till 1 feb and as for rain coming I hope not to much- busy spreading slurry at the mo

Chatting to manager In co op when I was down getting filters.
    380,for urea. They normally say that's there price but they can knock it down another 2 times if they want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

Slurry tank going back on tractor tomorrow. Tanks were half spread last weeks. But I'm going to empty them this week if the land will hold. No urea going to be spread for at least 10 days. Next Friday is supposed to be another STINKER. So I'll concentrate on slurry for the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Any update on fertiliser prices??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Any update on fertiliser prices??

10-10-20 bulk collected

413 per ton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Cut Sward 50kg bags 425
    18-6-12 50Kg bags 420

Sami23 wrote: »
    Cut Sward 50kg bags 425
    18-6-12 50Kg bags 420

Bulk or 50kg bags have no influence in price. I think that fertlizer is 40euro/ton dera than when i bought it in February

Bulk or 50kg bags have no influence in price. I think that fertlizer is 40euro/ton dera than when i bought it in February

Yep agree bought urea for 340-350,18 6 12 for 370.now urea is north of 400 and 18 6 12 is 410.could of bought can for 285,I declined and now it's 320 and I'll need some soon.spreadibg a bag of 33% urea nitrogen with 6.5% sulphur at moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

So it's true it has gone up. Heard it in the creamery yard yesterday while loading a few gates, they said €50/t. That's quite a jump, what prompted that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

So it's true it has gone up. Heard it in the creamery yard yesterday while loading a few gates, they said €50/t. That's quite a jump, what prompted that?

They reckon they can get away with it. Any MEP candidate you meet bend their ear about Irish fert specs which are only available here and act as an impediment to imports by anyone other than the big three importers here. We should be on standard euro specs/mixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Yep agree bought urea for 340-350,18 6 12 for 370.now urea is north of 400 and 18 6 12 is 410.could of bought can for 285,I declined and now it's 320 and I'll need some soon.spreadibg a bag of 33% urea nitrogen with 6.5% sulphur at moment.

What's that product with S called?
    I want to go with 20 units of S with N in next round, what ye recommend?
    Spreading 2x18/6/12 ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Ammonia nitrate 34.5% + 28%sulphur is €330 today.
    It's prilled not granulated so max 24 metre spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

sheebadog wrote: »
    Ammonia nitrate 34.5% + 28%sulphur is €330 today.
    It's prilled not granulated so max 24 metre spread.

Probably not easily got here. I spread around 55kg/acre (just how it worked out on the settings) of ASN over the weekend. 27N and 14S.

What's that product with S called?
    I want to go with 20 units of S with N in next round, what ye recommend?
    Spreading 2x18/6/12 ATM

It's a gouldings product 33% n and 6.5 sulphur.id usually go with asn but I feel it's too much sulphur to be hitting cow grazing area with in one go at start of breeding season .my silage ground will get a bag of it next week though.will go with sulpha can next round plan is for about 15 units of sulphur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Straight nitrogen, big bags, Cassidays on the border, Ballyconnel/Derrylin, €315.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

300 euro a tonne for can. Local merchant. His stock is nearly out. Was afraid to ask how much His next batch is going to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Thinking of forward buying a bit of fert for 2015. Anyone have any opinion of how it will go? Some experts claim it's going to rise a bit more. With oil as low as it is, I thought fert might follow. What ye thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

was thinkin bout it but onto the merchant was talking to said he couldnt forward buy fert this year, he normally does, he said usually never goes up when milk is on the floor so he wouldnt take the chance, so in turn we decided not too, time will tell, wit oil dropping were hopin the Russians wouldnt chance flooring fert as ruble bad enough as is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Thinking of forward buying a bit of fert for 2015. Anyone have any opinion of how it will go? Some experts claim it's going to rise a bit more. With oil as low as it is, I thought fert might follow. What ye thinking?

Advice I've taken is buy enough to cover you till end of March, nitrogen will go up c.€20 in the new year and maybe start to come down from April. I didn't enquire about o's as I have all I need out since Sept.

I've bought a full load of a mix of urea and 18 6 12 every year for the last 5 years and always been a wise move price wise.will do same this year,big variation in prices beteween merchants though.shop around and call lads bluff amazing how easy it is to save a tenner a tonne by just opening your mouth and throwing out a few figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Brass Tag

Advice I've taken is buy enough to cover you till end of March, nitrogen will go up c.€20 in the new year and maybe start to come down from April. I didn't enquire about o's as I have all I need out since Sept.

Speaking of o's, would there be an advantage in getting 0:10:20 out as soon as possible, followed by nitrogen when ground temps pick up, as opposed to waiting for the temp pick up and spreading 10:10:20!
    Mainly old pasture.

• Advertisement

Brass Tag wrote: »
    Speaking of o's, would there be an advantage in getting 0:10:20 out as soon as possible, followed by nitrogen when ground temps pick up, as opposed to waiting for the temp pick up and spreading 10:10:20!
    Mainly old pasture.

Our advisor told us to wait till after first days if march to spread the Os. Otherwise it can get locked up by soil. We took his advice and spread in march and we did get a very good reaction

Advertisement