Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fertiliser prices - Forward buying

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Our advisor told us to wait till after first days if march to spread the Os. Otherwise it can get locked up by soil. We took his advice and spread in march and we did get a very good reaction

Would the same apply to slurry O's. I imagine that it si linked more to soil temp/rainfall rather than to date of year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Brass Tag wrote: »
    Speaking of o's, would there be an advantage in getting 0:10:20 out as soon as possible, followed by nitrogen when ground temps pick up, as opposed to waiting for the temp pick up and spreading 10:10:20!
    Mainly old pasture.

Price 0 10 20 and 10 10 20. The nitrogen is almost free in 10 10 20, last sept anyway. A unit of N as can was €2 and 25c in 10 10 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Got 6ton of urea at 390e/ton. Bit of an impulse buy ha, anyone else got a price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got 6ton of urea at 390e/ton. Bit of an impulse buy ha, anyone else got a price?
    Decent value at that ,prices a lot harder compared to this tome last year.bought all my urea last December and jan at 340 and 360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Would the same apply to slurry O's. I imagine that it si linked more to soil temp/rainfall rather than to date of year

Im not sure on that one now. I'm meeting him next week to go through fert options here for next yr. I will ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

A unit of N as can was €2.
    that equates to €1080 a tonne for CAN?:confused:

27% of 1000kgs is 270 kgs of N. Not sure on can price now but but couldn't be more than 320/t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

its the first year with a long time that I haven't forward bought. normally buy ahead for the tax before the next year but I already had enough expense for this year. anyway wasn't sure what the market will do with the price of diesel dropping etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Apologies,mixed up between kg and units. €1 kg as can and if memory serves 25c as 10 10 20.

27% of 1000kgs is 270 kgs of N. Not sure on can price now but but couldn't be more than 320/t

I was told Can would be hitting 350 a ton in the spring. This was by the salesman selling me the fertiliser today ha, but in general he doesn't bullsh1t me about.

• Advertisement

I was told Can would be hitting 350 a ton in the spring. This was by the salesman selling me the fertiliser today ha, but in general he doesn't bullsh1t me about.

Yeh dad said today fert supposed to go up 7% in spring. How can that be with oil price dropping?

Yeh dad said today fert supposed to go up 7% in spring. How can that be with oil price dropping?

Russia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Every year at this time its the same story people saying buy your fert now before prices go up,but half the time it comes down, I cant understand how its more expensive at the moment than it was last dec considering oil prices are down so much on same period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Russia?

The Russians are going to need hard currency soon. It'll be a bit like dairy products. The demand is there it'll just have to move around a bit. They have plenty of minerals and gas looking for a home. Fert will be available and prices will fall. The Russians will still be getting screwed but they'll be producing and selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

If economics are true then fertiliser prices will fall. The Russian currency has gone through the floor. Didn't it loose 20% in one day a week or two ago. However , middle men and importers will probably be slow to pass on the savings. Sort of like the diesal. When there's a bit of trouble they put the price up the next day, but when prices tumble they drip feed the reductions through slowly, and start spouting every excuse in the book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Prices below all for 50kg bags delivered.

0.7.30 = 420 euro
    CAN = 320 euro
    10.10.20 = 445 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Very few manufacturers of fert in the world now. belief is they are keeping prices up like opec does. world demand growing 8% every year. Europe demand has been dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Got some prices for fertiliser today, North East Galway.

10.10.20 €450 T
    18.6.12 €415 T
    Urea €409 T

Merchant said prices were going up. How do these compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

320 for CAN local merchant
    315 Glanbia.
    30 euro a tonne bulk spread, I thought that sounded dear

visatorro wrote: »
    320 for CAN local merchant
    315 Glanbia.
    30 euro a tonne bulk spread, I thought that sounded dear

50 euro an hour spread here

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »

How many tonne would you spread in a hour? 2/3 tonne if field was near?

farmerjj wrote: »
    How many tonne would you spread in a hour? 2/3 tonne if field was near?

Spread 10 tonne including me loading in 3 hours.all around yard and 20 acres 1.5 miles away.spreading at 24 meters and was excellent value I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

18.6.12 €400
    Can €320
    Pasture sward €415
    Cut sward €420

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

AP2014 wrote: »
    Prices below all for 50kg bags delivered.

0.7.30 = 420 euro
    CAN = 320 euro
    10.10.20 = 445 euro

whats the benefit of spreading 0.7.30 ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

limo_100 wrote: »
    whats the benefit of spreading 0.7.30 ??

Brings up your P&K then you can go with straight N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

That's the way I get my manure spread here.......60/hr from the time he arrives to when he leaves, they can't make a compliment of having to spread 50kg/acre at that.
    They usually spread 100 acres in two hrs, spreader carries near ten ton, so about a euro/acre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

rangler1 wrote: »
    That's the way I get my manure spread here.......60/hr from the time he arrives to when he leaves, they can't make a compliment of having to spread 50kg/acre at that.
    They usually spread 100 acres in two hrs, spreader carries near ten ton, so about a euro/acre

Got charged 319 euro last year by glanbia to get 9 ton spread on 70 acres of ground, was two hours work in total and am only 10 mins drive from co-op store with tractor first and last time I availed of that service really are robbing b###rds....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Got charged 319 euro last year by glanbia to get 9 ton spread on 70 acres of ground, was two hours work in total and am only 10 mins drive from co-op store with tractor first and last time I availed of that service really are robbing b###rds....
    You'd really want your own weighbridge for these lads. Heard of a few stories of 'blue' green grass on a farm between the co-op and the farm where it was supposed to be spread:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

blue5000 wrote: »
    You'd really want your own weighbridge for these lads. Heard of a few stories of 'blue' green grass on a farm between the co-op and the farm where it was supposed to be spread:o

The contractor that spreads it does all our lime spreading and we buy a lot of straw of him too so would be safe enough, getting charged nearly 40 euro a ton to spread left us fairly pissed of though, when their only paying hauliers 7 euro a ton to draw it from Waterford at the port ....
    Trying to pull another fast one on independent hauliers that draw milk tankers too, father was doing his cpc course and got chatting a lad contracted to them he got an extra 60 euro to draw his load to the plant down in Waterford instead of ballyragget it wouldn't of covered the diseal let alone the extra 3 hours it adds on to a trip, really are ruthless when it comes to business and trying to squeeze lads....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

blue5000 wrote: »
    Very nce to have a cert'd weigh bridge here, can be supprising which manufactureres weigh a few % short but all adds up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

3 1/2 tonne spread today for 50Euro. contractor collected fert from merchant. bout half hour round trip. iv a 1 1/2 tonne bogdalle but its fairly knackered at this stage. was quoted 5500 for a new one. think ill let contractor belt away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

I see where lads are coming from with a fella coming in with a ten tonne spreader and doing a hundred acres. But still can't beat going out and doing the odd paddock your self.
    Can't imagine there to pushed coming down for a few acres

I see where lads are coming from with a fella coming in with a ten tonne spreader and doing a hundred acres. But still can't beat going out and doing the odd paddock your self.
    Can't imagine there to pushed coming down for a few acres

Your right I doubt they would but when your busy in the spring it takes a lot of pressure off to get whole farm blanket spread where as I'd be two half days at it again I got major jobs done
    one of my favourite jobs though is spreading fert so I doubt I'd ever give it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Your right I doubt they would but when your busy in the spring it takes a lot of pressure off to get whole farm blanket spread where as I'd be two half days at it again I got major jobs done
    one of my favourite jobs though is spreading fert so I doubt I'd ever give it up

Yea Im with u on that GG tis 1 of my fav jobs alright even with the 135 and a 5 bag wagtail and thise bloddy 50kg bags i didnt mind but now with big bags and hyd opening on ton spreader tis a doddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

ellewood wrote: »
    Yea Im with u on that GG tis 1 of my fav jobs alright even with the 135 and a 5 bag wagtail and thise bloddy 50kg bags i didnt mind but now with big bags and hyd opening on ton spreader tis a doddle.

yeah I enjoy it myself. Mainly cause not much can go wrong ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ellewood wrote: »

They can be a pain alright, espically if your spreader is high(or the pile you're lifting from is nearly gone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

jaymla627 wrote: »

€420/ Ton spread for 18.6.12, supposed to be done today :mad:, so probably paying nearer to 2euro/acre in that price. or €20/ton, going by Sims price,
    only one tractor here, so have take off spreader to load it, if I don't get it spread by the merchant

€420/ Ton spread for 18.6.12, supposed to be done today :mad:, so probably paying nearer to 2euro/acre in that price. or €20/ton, going by Sims price,
    only one tractor here, so have take off spreader to load it, if I don't get it spread by the merchant

That's the way I'm spreading here. Lifts are broken on second tractor and it's dangerous to operate them.
    tbh I'm as quick loading and re attaching as usual

Big bags? guy i worked for back home in college was in same predicament. Buildlt an L shaped bracket from some heavy box steel and support with a piece to make a traingle, some havey bolts and 2 plates later could bolt onto h irons of shed. Load fert bag onto with loader then just back in under with spreader simples :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

yeah I enjoy it myself. Mainly cause not much can go wrong ha!

Until you come on a wet lumpy bag and it all goes down and cakes the outlets !! Arrrgggghhhhhh :(

Apart from that I love spreading fertiliser :D

• Advertisement

Any price on pasture sward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

You think your getting skinned, Had to pay the local dairygold branch €419 a tonne on Saturday for 18.6.12 , collected and paid for on the spot, spread myself. They wouldn't even give me €1 off it.There attitude to me was I was lucky to get in at that price as they were putting price up more.:eek:

Anyone know how much muriate of potash is at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

farmerjj wrote: »
    Anyone know how much muriate of potash is at the moment?

I paid about 405/ton in early February for it.

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Big bags? guy i worked for back home in college was in same predicament. Buildlt an L shaped bracket from some heavy box steel and support with a piece to make a traingle, some havey bolts and 2 plates later could bolt onto h irons of shed. Load fert bag onto with loader then just back in under with spreader simples :).

Something like that black grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

50 euro for 3 and a half tonne sounds very cheap to me what rate was that at. It's hard to put a price on it but I tink the fairest way to charge is per hour. Was thinking about doing a bit on hire with a GPS but not sure what price to charge all depends on how much per acre how many acres a lot to consider. Anyone have a opinion

50 euro for 3 and a half tonne sounds very cheap to me what rate was that at. It's hard to put a price on it but I tink the fairest way to charge is per hour. Was thinking about doing a bit on hire with a GPS but not sure what price to charge all depends on how much per acre how many acres a lot to consider. Anyone have a opinion
    50 euro per hour ,I bag per acre of urea and 2*18 6 12

Something like that black grass.

99% same his you could move as had 2 outfarms

Advertisement