Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying Motherboard/Network Adapter problems

Options
  • 02-12-2013 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,

Hi I currently dual boot to either openSUSE or Windows 7 on my laptop. The problem is, internet works on openSUSE and it doesn't work on Windows.

So what I've been doing is downloading the network drivers for windows from suse and trying to install them on windows. However, when I try install them, I get the message that goes something like this "No Intel(R) adapter present". Something similar to that.

Then I started to realise that I may be trying to install drivers which are not compatible with my motherboard. So now identifying my motherboard is a problem?

How will I go about to solve this internet issue I have on Windows 7 Ultimate???

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

In Device Manager on Windows, look for network adapter or unknown device, get the vendor and product ID (4 hex chars each) and google to find make/model. Or identify BIOS (look for a string of chars on boot)

http://www.pcidatabase.com/ may help too

Also Belarc Advisor should identify laptop mobo and give MAC address of NIC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

OR put in your pc model no,network driver,
    ie google hp pc 150tk network driver,
    download ,the file , from linux ,
    THEN install it from device manager,
    if its an exe file, click it, run,ok, install it
    Maybe put the file on a usb drive ,when in the linux os.
    post your laptop model here,
    ie sony vaio 750tg

Look on control panel, hardware device manager,
    if theres 2 yellow icons ,there
    that means, two device drivers are needed,
    MAYBE 1 network driver,
    plus a motherboard device driver.
    Install mobo driver first.
    ALL motherboard drivers are usually needed to be present installed,
    before you can install the network device driver.
    linux suse might identify the wifi unit, device, I presume theres a system info app for linux,
    similar to device manager.

http://www.tuxradar.com/answers/556 for linux ,

. There are various programs that will report on the status of your hardware, some generic and some specific to a distro. One of my favourites is lshw (http://ezix.org/project/wiki/HardwareLiSter), which is generally used in a console and gives a detailed listing of everything in the machine, from motherboard and CPU to USB devices.

i think console= linux terminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Axidium

Does this help? Here's a pic of my specs. Can someone please put some link where I can download drivers for these specs?

Here's another pic of my device manager in Windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Terrible pictures! Check out screen capures! (Alt-Prnt Scrn), or well, do I like I said in post#2

The PCI ID from DevMan sould look like this
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10F5&SUBSYS_02331028

The 4 characters after DEV and VEN are the codes to put into the website I linked earlier

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Terrible pictures! Check out screen capures! (Alt-Prnt Scrn), or well, do I like I said in post#2

The PCI ID from DevMan sould look like this
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10F5&SUBSYS_02331028

The 4 characters after DEV and VEN are the codes to put into the website I linked earlier
    Sorry about the pic quality I uploaded them using my nexus 7. The problem with Internet is solved, I got the drivers and it works. Now what's remaining is everything apart from network and ethernet controller.thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I find the best software to identify hardware is ASTRA32.

It can make your system freeze sometimes though, make sure you are not doing anything else at the time.

Once you have the model number of your laptop you should be able to look it up on their support site.

Whats the laptop,model,
    eg dell model dimension 670.?
    how many yellow icons is there in device manager.?
    google your model no drivers .
    eg dell model 670gh drivers

riclad wrote: »
    Whats the laptop,model,
    eg dell model dimension 670.?
    how many yellow icons is there in device manager.?
    google your model no drivers .
    eg dell model 670gh drivers

Problem is solved. Thanks for the help to all. The thread can be closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement