Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places To Eat Near Bord Gais Theatre.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Herb Street is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 22,772 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - You'll get better advice from the locals than just the foodies.

Moved from Food & Drink.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Closest to the theater you have Ely, Herb Street, The Marker, Cafe H, The Crystal Boat Chinese, and the Maldron on Cardiff Lane.
    Herb Street would be my pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ely is quite good but expensive. There's a Milanos a few doors up, can't go wrong in my opinion!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Herbstreet is the best of the closest IMO. Menu varies a fair bit.

Ely is over priced and the service is pretty poor. Not as slow as Milano though..which is painfully slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The new Marker Hotel at Grand Canal Square have a pre theatre early bird special. The food is fab. It is right beside the theatre.

http://www.themarkerhoteldublin.com/cmsFiles/pre-theatre-menu-october-2013.pdf

They also have a roof top bar that has amazing views over the city. It's a great place to go for a cocktail, but I don't know if it is open in winter. Wherever you decide to go, I would suggest making a reservation, as restaurants in the area can get very, very busy on the night of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Just tried to book Herbstreet but it is closed over Christmas until 2nd Jan - a bit weird at such a busy time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

Ely prob the best bet! Honourable mention to starry night the Chinese restaurant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Walk a little bit further and you have some good options in Juniors, Paulie's Pizza, The Chophouse and The Schoolhouse.

All about 10mins walk away from the theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Merkin wrote: »
    Ely is quite good but expensive.
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Herbstreet is the best of the closest IMO. Menu varies a fair bit.

Ely is over priced and the service is pretty poor.

Herbstreet is a good bit more expensive than Ely and the food not as good, IMO. I've also always found the service great in Ely.

Ely for me! :)

• Advertisement

keano2012 wrote: »
    Honourable mention to starry night the Chinese restaurant!

You're joking, right? That kip on Pearse Street? Are you sure you don't mean Crystal Boat?

brettmirl wrote: »
    Walk a little bit further and you have some good options in Juniors, Paulie's Pizza, The Chophouse and The Schoolhouse.

All about 10mins walk away from the theatre.

The Oarsman in Ringsend is also fantastic and very keenly priced.

I've also always found the service great in Ely.

I think the service in Ely at Grand Canal is probably the worst in Dublin. I used to work beside there and frequent it a lot out of convenience and (especially if you're sitting outside) it can take about 15 minutes to have drinks brought to you. Don't get me wrong, I like the staff and they are friendly but the speed at which they serve their customers (reverse gear) is shocking!

I think the service in Ely at Grand Canal is probably the worst in Dublin.
    I've honestly found the service great, for the most part. And I've been there a lot, as I live in the Grand Canal Dock area. Have Herbstreet worse in general, and the food isn't as good either, despite it being really expensive. €16.50 for a large portion of chewy, overcooked chicken wings! Elephant and Castle and the Canal Bank café don't even charge that much for them, and they probably could get away with it! Ely does the same size, way better, for €12.50. And that's just one example!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Just a warning - Ely always has several big tellies with sport or random crap on, even in the restaurant-y bit.
    So if (like me) you think that's not appropriate while eating a meal out, avoid.

IHave Herbstreet worse in general, and the food isn't as good either

Totally with you on Herbstreet. People rave about it and I'm genuinely not sure why as I think the food is just bordering on average really. I was there a couple of weeks ago and had the chicken burger and fries and it was mediocre at best.

Totally with you on Herbstreet. People rave about it and I'm genuinely not sure why as I think the food is just bordering on average really. I was there a couple of weeks ago and had the chicken burger and fries and it was mediocre at best.

Actually, did have one crap experience in Ely. Had chicken wings, bill came to 12.50, handed the server 15 euro and never got my change back! I hate when people just help themselves to a tip. :mad: I would have tipped but hate the presumptuousness of his actions! And he took about a 20% tip when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

The Oarsman in Ringsend is also fantastic and very keenly priced.

Another vote for the Oarsman. They have a restaurant adjoining the pub.
    Food is lovely and not too expensive. I find all the places in GCS overpriced. Style over substance. Nice for a drink though.

quaalude wrote: »
    Just a warning - Ely always has several big tellies with sport or random crap on, even in the restaurant-y bit.
    So if (like me) you think that's not appropriate while eating a meal out, avoid.

When was the last time you were in Ely? they now have a dedicated restaurant downstairs with no tv's. Yes the upstairs does have a tv with sport on it occasionally but at the end of the day it is a bar.
    Schoolhouse,oarsman etc are a bit of walk-my vote goes to Starry Night still. After Ely obviously!

You're joking, right? That kip on Pearse Street? Are you sure you don't mean Crystal Boat?

Yes it isnt the most attractive looking place- but were you never thought dont judge a book by its cover? Food is cheap and delicious and the staff are friendly too. Crystal Boat on the other hand looks good, charges you a high price for looking good but the food isnt in the same league as Starry Night. All style-no substance IMO...

• Advertisement

keano2012 wrote: »
    Yes it isnt the most attractive looking place- but were you never thought dont judge a book by its cover? Food is cheap and delicious

I've had the food, it's less than bog standard Chinese fare. And it's a weird suggestion anyway, as it's just a takeaway so there's no seating. And a door from the kitchen onto the street is held open with rubbish bags. Yuck.

AsianDub wrote: »
    Another vote for the Oarsman. They have a restaurant adjoining the pub.
    Food is lovely and not too expensive. I find all the places in GCS overpriced. Style over substance. Nice for a drink though.

They're definitely all overpriced!

I've had the food, it's less than bog standard Chinese fare. And it's a weird suggestion anyway, as it's just a takeaway so there's no seating. And a door from the kitchen onto the street is held open with rubbish bags. Yuck.

ah i was just throwing it in there! I like the place anyway :) Ely no.1....just wanted to throw in starry night just to show that not all the places are upmarket and expensive! Beef Curry washed down with a nice can of cider down next to the canal on a frezzing December night-not your scene then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

As someone mentioned, if you walk down 10 mins over the bridge towards Sandymount you come to Beggars bush crossroads.

At Beggars bush you have the chophouse, one of the best gastropubs in the city, Juniors and Paulies Pizza, both wood fired ovens and regarded as 2 of the best authentic pizza joints in Ireland. There is also farmer browns restaurant and food in the Bath pub.

Food game is good also, although I am unsure when it closes.

The bridge bar and grill used to be great but I believe it is closed now.

liffeylite wrote: »
    Food game is good also, although I am unsure when it closes.

Thanks for the tip, I live near here!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

AsianDub & April O'Neill Ii, have you been in rhe Oarsman recently? I was a big fan but after two not so good meals in the Summer and hearing that the Chef had changed I haven't been back. Should I try one more time?

Must mention Farmer Browns on Bath Avenue - another nice spot.

Twenty10 wrote: »
    AsianDub & April O'Neill Ii, have you been in rhe Oarsman recently? I was a big fan but after two not so good meals in the Summer and hearing that the Chef had changed I haven't been back. Should I try one more time?

Yes, I only went there for the first time in October. And many times since! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Twenty10 wrote: »

Must mention Farmer Browns on Bath Avenue - another nice spot.

I must admit I haven't been there recently.

Heard good things about Farmer Browns. Must give it a go soon.

Regarding Food Game, I found it overpriced for what you get.
    The morning I was in there the kitchen was chaotic and a bit of a mess.
    What really put me off was just before I walked in one of their employees
    was smoking at the side. He then came in stinking of smoke, didn't wash his hands and prepped the food. Put me right off. Good coffee though.

Thanks for the tip, I live near here!

Food Game's coffee is good, easily the best around there.
    They were doing dinner for a little while, a year or two ago, but they stopped - they just do breakfast and lunch now.

• Advertisement

quaalude wrote: »
    Food Game's coffee is good, easily the best around there.
    They were doing dinner for a little while, a year or two ago, but they stopped - they just do breakfast and lunch now.

Quoting myself here - but had a very average (scalded, bitter) takeaway Americano from Food Game yesterday, so I don't really recommend it, the coffee is too inconsistent, unfortunately.

Advertisement