Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'll bloody kill that dog!

• 02-12-2013 5:15pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Josh just snatched a Spar sandwich wrapper which I left on my desk and took off with it into the garden at lightening speed. Couldnt get him to give it back (great larks for him, frustrating for me!) and then chewed it up into a ball and swallowed it.

Now what? Just wait or is there any danger here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭fits

DeVore wrote: »
    Josh just snatched a Spar sandwich wrapper which I left on my desk and took off with it into the garden at lightening speed. Couldnt get him to give it back (great larks for him, frustrating for me!) and then chewed it up into a ball and swallowed it.

Now what? Just wait or is there any danger here?

was it plasticky backed type? Id phone vet to ask for advice i think.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No its the paper type that they wrap the sandwich in...

No its the paper type that they wrap the sandwich in...

I think Id still phone vet and ask their advice of what to watch out for or if you need to go in. I have a hound who was scavenging for food when I found him and he can't walk past a wrapper even still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Check in with the vet to be on the safe side as they'll be closed in a couple of hours. Even if it's just to see if there's anyone on call later for your sanity.

Then keep an eye on him for any signs of distress (panting, inability to settle, etc.). Make sure he's eating, drinking and pooing properly.

I once had a large mastiff that I took from the pound, eat an entire Evening Herald off the crate floor. Luckily enough we were actually on the way to the vets anyway. He was fine :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Right, vet phoned... we'll see what they say... he seems fine at the moment and I'm probably over reacting but I havent had one visit to the vet with him yet touch wood (apart from shots) so I've not had any experience with this sort of thing...

• Advertisement

Toulouse wrote: »

I once had a large mastiff that I took from the pound, eat an entire Evening Herald off the crate floor. :D

:D. I can just imagine it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wouldn't say the paper type would be too harmful, I couldn't see it doing much damage as it wouldn't be sharp, but in saying that if it hasn't passed in a couple of days I would be bringing him to the vet! Our dog once puked up a clothes peg, as well as pooping out a cigarette box :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

When my labrador was 7 months old he ate, swallowed and passed out my iPod and he was fine. So you're dog should be ok, if it was thin paper it's most likely to have dissolved in his stomach by now and will pass through within the next day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

SingItOut wrote: »
    When my labrador was 7 months old he ate, swallowed and passed out my iPod and he was fine. So you're dog should be ok, if it was thin paper it's most likely to have dissolved in his stomach by now and will pass through within the next day or two.

Did it still work? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Did it still work? :pac:

Hahaha it went straight to the bin! He ate worse believe me! :eek:

• Advertisement

So the general consensus online and offline is to just keep an eye on him (he's currently dismantling an old shoe of mine) and he should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Our greyhound is quite the same when we have him out on his walk - funnily enough my girlfriend had to pull a paper sandwich wrapper out of his mouth on a busy street a few weeks ago as a few bystanders watched on, bemused and confused.

I hope he's alright anyways, I'm sure he will be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I'd say the main danger is that the wee sh1te thinks it's great craic altogether to grab wrappers of the desk. He got a chase around the garden, thoroughly pleased with his day's work I'd say.

Our little monster ate a plastic coathanger, went in for xrays at the doggie hospital, no danger, all fragments went out the correct exit without damage.

I'm sorry to say that "grab dash and get a chase" is one of his favourite games already. :(

Mostly its gloves or scarfs through, and he mostly doesnt eat them. Mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm sorry to say that "grab dash and get a chase" is one of his favourite games already. :(

Mostly its gloves or scarfs through, and he mostly doesnt eat them. Mostly.

Gloves and scarves could do a lot of damage if he ate them. I wouldn't be at all worried about a paper wrapper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

being serious, the "drop" command is one of the most useful ones to teach him. Get him to hold something in his mouth, make sure you have one of his favourite treats handy. Tell him to drop what he has, distract him with the treak, even gently see if you can get it the object of his mouth whilst saying drop. The second he lets go, get that treat to him and give him loads of silly OTT praise.

Repeat this lots. Really handy command to have the mastery of. For us it was a bit easy as our pup is extremely food motivated. She's anyones for a dab of chicken.

Thats one I'm working on at the moment... its really really hard with Josh as "things in his mouth" are very highly valued but if he sees food, everything gets dropped before I can even get the command out.

The issue isnt with him understanding the commands either. He knows "Stop" "Come" "Sit" and "Stay" well enough... he just bloody well chooses to ignore them! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I had this with a guide dog on the dart, blind guy and his guide dog standing opposite me (big wolfhound type not your usual lab), the dog spots a kit kat lying in the ground and wolfs down a piece before I put my foot on it and slide it away from him just to stop him eating more chocolate AND the foil wrapper. Dog spends the rest of the journey looking at me from under his fringe like I'm the worlds worst bollix as do the other passengers in the carriage

Blind guy didnt notice though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thats one I'm working on at the moment... its really really hard with Josh as "things in his mouth" are very highly valued but if he sees food, everything gets dropped before I can even get the command out.

The issue isnt with him understanding the commands either. He knows "Stop" "Come" "Sit" and "Stay" well enough... he just bloody well chooses to ignore them! :)

I'd suggest you set it up so you can practise.

Get a toy he loves and a secret pocket full of treats. Play with toy with him, and during game say drop, then produce a treat, tell him how amazing he is when he drops and GIVE HIM BACK THE TOY. Rinse and repeat until he's pre-empting you giving the treat so drops before he even sees it.

The reason you're giving the toy back after the drop is because you don't want him to think "why would I drop this, all I get is one silly treat then the toy goes away". Instead you want a "ooooh I get a treat, loads of praise and the toy back, what a great game this is!!!" (**MAD HAPPY HEAD**)

That's why it's important to do this often when you don't actually need the item back, it allows him to learn that most of the time "drop" is a great thing for him.

As for the "choosing to ignore" - are you giving him great options. Like if you ask him to come to you, while he wants to get to a very interesting person/tree/patch of mud what does he get for coming that is better? What is his motivation? If it's not working, maybe you could find something he's more motivated by?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My fella once ate a pack of crayons (toddler non toxic type) first I knew was when I went to scoop the poop and it was spotted with bright green, pink, blue and yellow...
    Took me a bit of poking around to figure out what if was, then went home and checked the box, 7 crayons missing.

Must of looked a right nut using an old lolly stick I picked off the ground to poke a bag of poop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd not worry too much D. When going through his "puppy" phase my guy ate all sorts of things. At 18 months old he ate my laptop. Partially anyway. For a couple of days after I was seeing keys in his *ahem* evacuations. I think he was trying to spell out "fcuk you monkeyboy", but being he's not literate it came out as "hnb6sd ikj 2l;34 ['87.", but I got the gist of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I accidentally trained my fella to bring me presents when I come home, or anyone comes in.
    It started by me trying to stop him stealing stuff to chew or eat, I used to call him and thank him and praise him, and give him his toy/chew toy instead.
    Then one day I realised he was picking stuff up just to get told what a good boy he is.
    Then I got little dog and she copies him, 5 years on they both greet everyone with a toy or sock, glove etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My pair eat the paper off muffins when they can get them. I keep an eye on them, make sure they're not acting distressed, and that everything is passing through ok. Waxed paper would be a lot more worrying.
    So the general consensus online and offline is to just keep an eye on him (he's currently dismantling an old shoe of mine) and he should be fine.
    I wouldn't advise letting him chew old shoes. He can't tell the difference between ones he's allowed chew and ones he's not.

Advertisement