Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing midi (.mid) files on a mac

Options
  • 02-12-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there-

I work alot with midi (.mid) files because they are tiny and I then send them out regularly to a mailing list. One person on the mailing list uses a mac exclusively and keeps telling me she can't play them and/or hear them properly.

Is there any freeware I can tell her to download that will sort this out as I'm not going to start exporting two different filetypes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did a fair bit of googling but all the popular hits are about more technical problems rather than just getting it to play the feicin' thing.

Cheers,

Oldbie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

She'll need a soundfont / midi soundbank and a media player capable of using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I always thought Quicktime could play midi files?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭oldbie

@ mordeith: That was my understanding but since I'm not a mac or quicktime user I simply don't know. I'm dealing with someone who possibly isn't as tech savy as other mac users so it's hard to give them instructions from my end. I'm exporting the mid files from a music notation software so maybe there are some settings I can adjust my end that could solve the problem.

@Dravokivich: Cheers for the advice. Haven;t heard those terms before but it's another googling avenue.

oldbie wrote: »
    . I'm exporting the mid files from a music notation software so maybe there are some settings I can adjust my end that could solve the problem.

I assume you're exporting the music as a single midi file? Do your other contacts have the notation software themselves (Sibelius?)

Hi Mordeith.

Ya it's a single midi file. No they don't have the musical notation software.

• Advertisement

oldbie wrote: »
    Hi Mordeith.

Ya it's a single midi file. No they don't have the musical notation software.

Get her to download this and see if it makes any difference:
    http://sweet-midi-player.en.softonic.com/mac

Cheers. Will do.

Advertisement