Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Broadand !

• 02-12-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

We have a very intermittent connection. We connect with a mobile Dongle and use Vodaphone (gave up on 02) we have very limited choice of providers where we are (o2 or Voda') With Voda' we have a very good connection WHEN we have a connection...... it drives me absolutley nuts as I need it for my business. Coming to the computer is totally hit & miss - usually no connection.:mad:

Since when we do have a connection it is a good one, isn't there ANYTHING we can do to boost the signal or improve the signal???? Surely since we have a good connection when it is there there must be some way of getting a better connection ? A mast or something with a booster ?????? 'Something' 'anything' !!??

Help :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could try contacting Vodafone and asking them for a signal booster of some description. I know 3 do it for the NBS broadband.

Might sound stupid but have you tried putting it up a higher location in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Mr. G wrote: »
    You could try contacting Vodafone and asking them for a signal booster of some description. I know 3 do it for the NBS broadband.

Might sound stupid but have you tried putting it up a higher location in the house?

we are in a single storey old cottage and can't really shift the puter around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could get a hotshot/mifi sort of thing and put it in the attic/somewhere you'll get better coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Just be careful as some boosters amplify the noise only and in turn further degrades the signal you are receiving. This is the case with some of the boosters Three provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

logik wrote: »
    Just be careful as some boosters amplify the noise only and in turn further degrades the signal you are receiving. This is the case with some of the boosters Three provide.

Any suggestions then ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you are using a dongle try using a USB extension lead, to reposition the dongle higher or nearer a window. You can also use a USB hub to extend the cable.

Advertisement