Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd for professionals ?

Options
  • 02-12-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain what this is?
    I'm assuming it's where you compete a phd as part or alongside your professional full time career and is accommodated by your employer ?

If I'm correct, can anyone advise what the normal completion timeframe is ?
    Six years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is it possibly a Professional Doctorate you are referring to?

I am doing an EdD (Doctorate in Education) - it is one of many such professional doctorates. Same level as PhD, but more of a career orientation. The difference was explained to me thus: a person undertaking a PhD is a professional scholar, a person undertaking an EdD is a scholarly professional.

Any yes, six years is typical for what I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Part time PhDs can be completed over 6 years in many disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Yep its a professional doctorate. In PhDs you generally research something theoretical while a Pro Doctorate often requires looking at existing models of working practice and developing new ones or modifying them.

Advertisement