Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter J McGee Newport

Options
  • 02-12-2013 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Where is this fella in Newport, I presume he's still trading, have heard good things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Where is this fella in Newport, I presume he's still trading, have heard good things.

He's down by the river in town, operates from his house, give him a bell on 098 41247.

He can be a bit pricy, gets his stock from the Uk, lots of nice English guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Was looking to part exchange for a side by side, but if he's pricey might think again, not really flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭landyman

Overpriced rubbish was down there few years ago but go down and make up your own mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Was looking to part exchange for a side by side, but if he's pricey might think again, not really flush.

The older bsa and midland side by sides are plain but good quality and don't usually cost much, i had a bsa and loved it, it handled as good as any gun i ever had. A major point to watch with older guns is most have short chambers , 2 1/2 inch rather than 2 3/4 inch, it just makes getting cartridges a bit of a pain sometimes.

rowa wrote: »
    The older bsa and midland side by sides are plain but good quality and don't usually cost much, i had a bsa and loved it, it handled as good as any gun i ever had. A major point to watch with older guns is most have short chambers , 2 1/2 inch rather than 2 3/4 inch, it just makes getting cartridges a bit of a pain sometimes.

I don't know a lot about side by sides, BSA rings a bell in that I see a lot of UK fellas after BSA .308, seemingly very accurate so I would assume they've a good name for well made firearms?

Good point on the chambers. Semi can take 3.5 but in all reality there's no need for that in my shooting 2 3/4 would do the finest.

• Advertisement

Anyone else good with shotguns, prefer in the West but would travel to the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 woodcock89

What about Tommy Kelly brother was there at weekend said he had a gud selection of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Tommy Kellys your man. his new gun room is relay nice. 0872730339

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I don't know a lot about side by sides, BSA rings a bell in that I see a lot of UK fellas after BSA .308, seemingly very accurate so I would assume they've a good name for well made firearms?

For about fifty years most of the world shot BSA small-bore target rifles from club to world championships and Olympic Games.

During WW2 BSA produced 1,250,000 Lee Enfield .303 service rifles, 404,383 STEN sub-machine guns, 468,098 Browning machine guns plus spares equivalent to another 100,000, 42,532 Hispano cannon, 32,971 Oerlikon cannon, 59,322 7.9 mm Besa machine guns, 3,218 15 mm Besa machine guns, 68,882 Boys Anti-tank guns, 126,334 motorcycles, 128,000 military bicycles (over 60,000 of which were folding paratrooper bicycles), 10,000,000 shell fuse cases, 3,485,335 magazines and 750,000 anti-aircraft rockets were supplied to the armed forces.

After the war and into the early 1970s, they produced sporting guns - centrefire rifles and shotguns - and got a good name for some very finely-made bolt-action guns, 80% of which were sold in the USA under the name of Monarch and Majestic. I have a .30-06 Majestic made in 1966 that still shoots an inch five-shot groups.

I also have two Martini target rifles and a bolt-action boys rifle in unique take-down configuration.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Peter is a sound man with over forty years in the gun trade he has probably forgotten more about guns than most of us will ever hope to know. He will stand behind the gun. In my dealings with Peter you get what you pay.
    Good man.
    http://www.irelandwide.com/guns/pjmcgee/index.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement