Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Direct Debit cancelled but they changes to SEPA and still taken the DD.

Options
  • 02-12-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

dear sir/madam.

On the 2/12/2013 a Direct Debit of €50.76 was taken from my account even though last week that Direct Debit was cancelled by me calling into the Listowel branch and being told to use the phone 365. I was told it was done all I had to do was notify the company who was taking it - in this case its Meteor Ireland. A week later the DD was still taken and after contacting 365 several times I was told DD cannot be cancelled anymore through the bank and only the company in question can activate a cancel. How can it be that a 3rd party can do anything with my account without my knowledge.

Ive since read I have to fill in forms to cancel SEPA Direct Debits and also make a claim for a refund.

Why is it I was allowed to cancel on the phone but then the money was taken anyway, not only that but their old direct debit was in the meantime coverted to be made using sepa without any notification. Please advice me what to do before I proceed with a complaint to the bank and the company.

I will not be dealing with direct debits anymore and I am going about the process of cancelling all of them.
    If this is not made plain and simple my only option will be to stop making any payments into my current account as if you my bank cannot protect what money I put in then there is no service for us.

thankyou andrew moran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post.

We are sorry to hear you've experienced difficulties with cancelling a direct debit and have received conflicting information. 

With SEPA direct debits, the customer has more control over them. They can cancel the mandate from the bank's side. Apologies again that you were incorrectly advised that you couldn't.

We have more information on this here and direct debit services forms, such as cancel, refusal and reactivate, can be found here.

If you contact BOI365 a representative will be more than happy to escalate this for full investigation. Alternatively, please see here for Group Customer Complaints contact details.

Thanks
    Tara 

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andrewmoran321

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post.

We are sorry to hear you've experienced difficulties with cancelling a direct debit and have received conflicting information. 

With SEPA direct debits, the customer has more control over them. They can cancel the mandate from the bank's side. Apologies again that you were incorrectly advised that you couldn't.

We have more information on this here and direct debit services forms, such as cancel, refusal and reactivate, can be found here.

If you contact BOI365 a representative will be more than happy to escalate this for full investigation. Alternatively, please see here for Group Customer Complaints contact details.

Thanks
    Tara 
    I know you have to fll out forms and send them to Dublin if someone takes more than they are allowed in a DD but the problem is left with the bank customer. The problem in my case is that while you still could cancel Direct Debit on 365 - so what happens is that Metor ignored my request and went a head and took the money out of my account now its left to me to open a dispute trying to claim my own money back. This will lead to companies taking liberties.

To cancel a Sepa DD Mandate the customer has to get onto the company who have taken the money from you and get a few bits of information .

Creditors ID - ? a unique code to identify that company
    Unique Mandate reference ? - this is another code for the direct debit in question

try getting that information from a company who have just robbed €50 out of your account.
    Any claim takes up to a month to investigate.

Can you tell me what happens when I have cancelled the DD using the SEPA forms and the company once a gain attempt to take money - will the bank then charge me the €12.50 fee ? for a failed withdraw.

My only option is fill out yet another form to cancel all SEPA direct debits
    or to stop putting money into my current account alltogether and then of course every attempt at a direct debit I will definatly be charged by the bank €12.50 for every failed attempt.

Which I will never pay and Ill bring all my evidence to court.

This is simply a money scam for a bank to profiteer out of the complex system you have set and  another way to confuse customers.

Its clear that the bank of Ireland are fading out as they dont want you inside the building everything has to be either phones or machines, passing responsibility onto the customer (victim)

thanks Tara - Andrew

Can you tell me what happens when I have cancelled the DD using the SEPA forms and the company once a gain attempt to take money - will the bank then charge me the €12.50 fee ? for a failed withdraw.

or to stop putting money into my current account alltogether and then of course every attempt at a direct debit I will definatly be charged by the bank €12.50 for every failed attempt.

This is simply a money scam for a bank to profiteer out of the complex system you have set and  another way to confuse customers.

Its clear that the bank of Ireland are fading out as they dont want you inside the building everything has to be either phones or machines, passing responsibility onto the customer (victim)

thanks Tara - Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

SEPA is not a Bank of Ireland initiative but a European driven regulation which all banks are required to be compliant with by February 2014.

By clicking on the links above, you will see the additional rights a customer has in relation to SEPA direct debits. There is the option to block or unblock all direct debits on your account, refuse or reactivate specific payments, cancel and request a refund. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andrewmoran321

thanks Tara - Andrew
    Hi Andrew,

SEPA is not a Bank of Ireland initiative but a European driven regulation which all banks are required to be compliant with by February 2014.

By clicking on the links above, you will see the additional rights a customer has in relation to SEPA direct debits. There is the option to block or unblock all direct debits on your account, refuse or reactivate specific payments, cancel and request a refund. 

Thanks
    Tara
    thanks Tara -

I know its all new to you as well  and it is not any of the staff of the banks fault but they have to deal with and implement the changes from above.

I have to say I am just back from the Bank of Ireland in Listowel and after a little confusion the staff were really helpful and went out of their way to print the correct form and help me fill it in by getting the company ID and the unique transaction DD id that is required to either block a DD or make a claim for a refund. So the 2 required codes are available in your bank.

Once these are filled in the form can be sent to the address given or brought back to your bank. Also we filled out a claim form which opens an investigation with the company, then a refund of the taken DD should be given withing 30 days. Im now left waiting to see if this all works.

I think the problem I came across regarding BOI365 is the fact I called 3 times and were given 3 varying answers. Hopefully it all sorted I can only imagine that the branches are going to be inundated with requests every time someone tries to change from one phone company to another.

I'm still not happy that I have had to go to such lengths but I'm surprised by the great effort made by the staff in the Listwel branch of bank of ireland, thanks to them and to you Tara for your replys.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Delighted to hear the Listowel branch have sorted this for you and will make them aware of your kind feedback. We will ensure to pass on your comments regarding the conflicting information you have received regarding this process when you called.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
Advertisement