Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The madness has returned

Options
  • 02-12-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

i live beside this place! E675,000 for that on a main road! fair enough if the plot had PP for another house, but surely this is madness?!!!

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=737394

Just taking a look at some other properties in the D.14 area, some bloody serious price hikes according to the price tracker function!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Location location location!

Yep it's certainly pricey for a house that is going to need so much work, but I guess you're selling the potential, the location, and the large garden. It could certainly be a gorgeous family home.

Still though...yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It certainly is a lot of money for what you are getting.

Property around that area is currently selling very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If that house was in a DCC area, getting another house on that site is a give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Its 170 Sq. Metres, much bigger than your usual house and has that huge garden. A builder would snap this up and try to get PP for a 2nd dwelling. It does have potential for those that have the dosh :)

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Just taking a look at some other properties in the D.14 area, some bloody serious price hikes according to the price tracker function!

I've done a quick search for only houses in D14. For 2013, only 2 have hiked their asking price and one has reduced theirs, hardly bedlam yet.

Increase
    Saoirse, Ballinteer Road, Dundrum, Dublin 14 - Detached House
    1a Upper Churchtown, Churchtown, Dublin 14 - Detached House

Reduction
    1 The Palms Roebuck Road, Clonskeagh, Dublin 14 - Detached House

You sure you're looking at the right district?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its a free market, if someone wants to pay crazy money for a house, then its up to them.

As long as it doesn't spread to half the country, then I won't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU can always look at one area, say look at this expensive house,

WHEN prices in most area,s go up, on a semi d 3 bed house,
    thats the time to get concerned.
    eg in the boom, joe blogss , working in an average job,
    was paying 250k for a 3bed house.

1a Upper Churchtown, I posted that one already! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I just bought a v.similar property in Carlow for €56,000. I know there is a big difference between Rathfarnham & Carlow but still that's crazy money imo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So long as property across the country doesn't all rise together then it's sustainable IMO. During the boom there were no regional pockets where prices fell-they rose everywhere (albeit at different rates probably). A normal market should indeed experience rises in one region and falls in another at the same time. The houses built en masse in Leitrim (no offence, beautiful county but not an industrial base nor should it be) were never sustainable and never really should be unless the population doubles or something.

Remember the early-mid 1980s in Britain: massive price increases in the home counties and the south generally but falls in the north and Scotland. Germany has experienced the same sort of thing. It's normal enough I'd say. The jobs are in the cities, especially Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The OP is right... you can see it in threads here in the last while, stories in the news, supplements in the papers - now that we're "out of the bailout" it's back to business as usual, and in Ireland that means selling ridiculously priced houses and apartments to each other :rolleyes:

"Quick.. get on the ladder now before it's too late and you're priced out" - sound familiar?

We haven't learned a thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    "Quick.. get on the ladder now before it's too late and you're priced out" - sound familiar?

We haven't learned a thing :(

what he said

what I find remarkable about it is, that houses that are going up for sale, are being price considerably higher than 12-18 months ago, and now we are seeing asking price jumps on top of the far higher asking prices, is a new development AFAIC...

We haven't learned a thing
    I agree, my mate is looking to buy in the area I have posted D.14 and for the desirable houses, semi d 3/4 bed, off main road, off street parking. You are back to square one, if your not prepared to meet the over the top price, someone else will be... So you either keep renting, move outside of desired area or just take on a serious mortgage or part with an eye watering amount of cash... What I am fairly shocked over, is the speed in certain areas of Dublin that this has returned, I keep a regular eye on myhome.ie and houses were sitting there, on the market for ages at a price that would now look like a give-away. I would have jumped at that time, IF I was in a position to do so. Like Warren Buffet said "Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful" My thoughts and a lot of others on this forum for potential buyers was, if you wait it out, even when prices rise, you will know that they have hit them the bottom, that was based on the expected low % per annum increases, I dont think anyone foresaw the double digit price increases coming this early, will have to give it another while to have a better overview and a bigger picture...

what I find remarkable about it is, that houses that are going up for sale, are being price considerably higher than 12-18 months ago, and now we are seeing asking price jumps on top of the far higher asking prices, is a new development AFAIC...
    Probably to do with the recent publicity surrounding Dublin increases. At the end of the day buyers need to decide what they're prepared to pay. I'm sure many of the asking prices are chance your arm stuff.

Probably to do with the recent publicity surrounding Dublin increases. At the end of the day buyers need to decide what they're prepared to pay. I'm sure many of the asking prices are chance your arm stuff.
    I totally agree, but is this the start of the self fulfilling prophecy on the way back up, the way the negativity resulted in endless quarters of house price declines and everyone waiting, because well... Why would you buy with rapidly falling prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you could probably get 2 houses on to the site, if not more. there's profit to be had for a small developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

If your buddy can't afford, he should look in other areas. The asking price is just an opening gambit - the sale price, however, is what a buyer thinks it is worth TO THEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

The publicity is the problem. Media report stats in a way to make it sound like the market is booming and conveniently leave out the details or the quotes from economists who advise caution. They paid little attention to the recent Moodys report. They got huge advertising revenues from estate agents in the boom, partially contributed to creating boom prices and it is in their interest to create a frenzy again. I'm sure they miss the money. We believe all that they write, as we did previously and off we go again...

If your buddy can't afford, he should look in other areas. The asking price is just an opening gambit - the sale price, however, is what a buyer thinks it is worth TO THEM.
    He has made offers on several houses, that would be generous by any standard, he hasnt purchased yet though, this is a cash buyer! The asking price situation has changed, I think a while ago, some of them were chance your arm prices, now they seem to be making asking price or above, i.e. the same expectation in the boom, that they would go for beyond the asking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

He has made offers on several houses, that would be generous by any standard, he hasnt purchased yet though, this is a cash buyer! The asking price situation has changed, I think a while ago, some of them were chance your arm prices, now they seem to be making asking price or above, i.e. the same expectation in the boom, that they would go for beyond the asking...

Missed the boat so, last year or the tail end of 2011 was the bottom, supply and demand at work, there's limited supply and massive demand, so prices will go up.

Even if building got the go ahead, although where they'd build in Dublin 14 or SCD I don't know, does anyone? We're three years away from any sort of supply so expect continued increases in prices.

Before anyone mentions repossessions, I think it's been put to bed on the other thread that they won't happen in any meaningful way, and even if they did, there certainly wont be huge swathes of Dublin 14 or SCD repossessed.

Nope rising prices for the forseeable, best bet is to pick a secondary area now and get the best house possible in that area, otherwise when this spreads, as it is already doing in Dublin, you'll miss the secondary area too.

The Spider wrote: »
    Missed the boat so, last year or the tail end of 2011 was the bottom, supply and demand at work, there's limited supply and massive demand, so prices will go up.

Even if building got the go ahead, although where they'd build in Dublin 14 or SCD I don't know, does anyone? We're three years away from any sort of supply so expect continued increases in prices.

Before anyone mentions repossessions, I think it's been put to bed on the other thread that they won't happen in any meaningful way, and even if they did, there certainly wont be huge swathes of Dublin 14 or SCD repossessed.

Nope rising prices for the forseeable, best bet is to pick a secondary area now and get the best house possible in that area, otherwise when this spreads, as it is already doing in Dublin, you'll miss the secondary area too.
    Could always wait for it to burst again and try to time it better I suppose :pac:

thing is murpaph, I'm not sure if your saying it tongue in cheek, say prices are now down 50%, say you wait what,nigh on 10 years assuming, there is a rise and crash again, say they go up to peak prices, they might only drop back down to what they are selling for now. Thats the theory, in practice, the only facts we know are, that you will have spent (and I dont mean wasted) a minimum of several years rent in the meantime and not availed of the historically low interest rates or (and this is very minor) the propery tax exemption (that I believe applies to all homes for first time buyers, up to 2016, Im open to correction on this).

I was also browsing whats available to rent at the moment, see the below. I'm assuming what might normally be an executor sale, is being rented out to a) capitalise on the rising prices b) just to tide things over until the estate is divided up (possibly) (this is obviously purely speculation)

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1400200

He can afford it alright, but hes not going to buy at any price. at what point do you say no, stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i live beside this place! E675,000 for that on a main road! fair enough if the plot had PP for another house, but surely this is madness?!!!

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=737394
    Picture 11; "FINISH MAN 07" :D

Anyhoos, I wonder was it a 8 bed house share at one time? Esp due to the lack of any funiture, and lack of any apparent modernisation...

=-=

murphaph; sounds like your mate has sense. The sellers of the house above probably know that they can get a bit extra for their house due to the extra land, and are thus offering it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Is this to be Ireland's fate? Forever vacillating between property crash & bubble with no in between?
    Going to be pretty miserable for everybody caught up in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well anyone who gets caught up in crazy house buying in the future gets all they deserve.

We have all had enough warning of how bad it can go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

The Spider wrote: »

The Spider has spoken his opinion, so it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

lima wrote: »
    The Spider has spoken his opinion, so it must be true.

Yes, everyone should fill there boots with property. There are no consequences if you refuse to pay for it.

Them idiots who pay will pay yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NIMAN wrote: »
    Well anyone who gets caught up in crazy house buying in the future gets all they deserve.

We have all had enough warning of how bad it can go wrong.

But the point is that really anyone who's been caught up in it hasn't really done too badly at all - oh sure there's the whole "negative equity" thing but that only matters if you're looking to sell. If you bought your place with the intention of making it a home then who cares really.

Can't/don't want to pay your mortgage? No worries.. don't! It's highly unlikely you'll be evicted and even if they do start proceedings, just make a token repayment and that'll reset the clock.

The only ones who've really done badly are those who were sensible and didn't buy into the madness as they have ended up paying for banks and borrowers who did but with no house/apartment to show for it themselves. Instead they get stuck with the often farcical rental sector and the price increases that are starting to become the norm again.

But as I've said elsewhere I've learned my lesson alright - next time I won't bother turning down all the "free" money and mortgages, and when it all goes belly up (again) I'll cry poverty and wait for "Someone else" to bail me out too!

That's what's in store for Ireland as - as I said above - it's clear even from this forum alone that most people haven't learned a thing and are just itching to get back on the property ladder :rolleyes:

Advertisement