Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to learn to write faster.

• 02-12-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I am capable of doing really well in my English exam. When I have essays and such for homework, I generally get an A or a high B. However, in class when I actually have to write an essay with limited time, a lot of the time I end up with a C, which I don't deserve, because I don't have enough time to get it done.

It's so frustrating, I've looked up different pen holding techniques and I can't seem to get used to any of them. The side of my pinky literally chafes when I have to write loads of pages in a short amount of time. :o

Does anyone have any advice on how I can write faster, apart from "practise makes perfect"? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭CBX

I don't know if this applies to you but I have neat writing and I can write a lot faster when I don't concentrate on keeping my writing neat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I'm in the same boat but I personally that you can't really write faster, but instead if you change your system such as using mnemonics to help memory or what I do is plan what I intend to write on a separate blank page and develop this instead. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Being able to write fast isn't really an issue in my subject area, but speaking with others, a quick way to improve on speed is to forget about "neatness". I find that if you join the letters together of each word you save time, i.e only lift the pen off the paper when you finish a word, not after you finish each letter of a word. Sorry if you don't understand that! Remember there is no marks for "tidy" writing, as long as its legible and the spelling is correct, you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

A lot of students I observe who are slow writers tend to hold their pen very tightly and/or press the pen into the paper heavily. Try loosening your grip, this should sped you up and help prevent pain in your hand. As you loosen grip you press less heavily into the paper too. Your writing will probably look different, but don't be put off. As long as it's legible, you're grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

My advise is what has already been said...forget about neatness. My leaving cert was an absolute mess but it was legible and I never ran out of time and did very well. If you don't join your letters then start doing it, I couldn't believe the amount of 18 year olds I sat my LC with who wouldn't used joint handwriting! I would have pages and pages of scribble done before they finish a page trying to be neat.

As the old theory goes the messier the writing the smarter the person. Loosen your grip a little and scribble away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 maedhbh_mac

Also, a good habit to get in to is to not draw the letters. You should be moving your hand as little as possible and let your elbow and shoulder do all the work - that'll stop most hand pain. And, of course, find a pen that suits you. Even if that seems like a small thing, I really think that everyone should have a favourite exam-pen type and then buy loads of them. For me, it's these bad boys...
    http://www.jarrold.co.uk/UserData/root/Images/Batch/PB1010.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

rorrissey wrote: »
    I am capable of doing really well in my English exam. When I have essays and such for homework, I generally get an A or a high B. However, in class when I actually have to write an essay with limited time, a lot of the time I end up with a C, which I don't deserve, because I don't have enough time to get it done.

It's so frustrating, I've looked up different pen holding techniques and I can't seem to get used to any of them. The side of my pinky literally chafes when I have to write loads of pages in a short amount of time. :o

Does anyone have any advice on how I can write faster, apart from "practise makes perfect"? :)

:rolleyes:

What you deserve is not up to you to decide.

The above advice regarding being less neat is useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

:rolleyes:

What you deserve is not up to you to decide.
    I think the point is that they know they have the knowledge and ability to get a better grade, but are being held back by their ability to get it all down on paper quickly.

Lighten up a tad, mayhap? :p;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Speaking as a corrector, you don't need to be neat at all, but please don't sacrifice legibility for speed.
    If your corrector cannot read your paper, you won't get any marks, regardless of how good what you write is.

Advertisement