Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 CAP2 Discussion Group

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Should Have Done Arts

sarahmcm90 wrote: »
    Sources of finance cud be a theory element i think

+1

I am also thinking something on company structures may pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cluray

It mentions a few times staff need training in finance, so think there is a good possibility of theory being related to that i.e. explanatory note. Not sure what it might be on yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

In relation to tax:

I think this may come up in relation to the NPV calculation. Tax is a cash outflow in the NPV calculation, so we may need to work out what the tax is.
    If given the accounting profit (includes expenditure such as depreciation, and other non-tax deductible expenditure) we will need to get the taxable profit. Depreciation is not an allowable expense for tax.

So accounting profit
    + Depreciation
    + other non-tax deductible expenditure (presume this is what they mean in the case study)
    = taxable profit
    - capital allowances
    = overall taxable profit
    Tax @ X%

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

"SW stated he had just received the following profit statement from finance detailing the
    performance of the beef stew dish trialled in October 2013. He noted that the contribution
    delivered was €/£1,965 lower than he budgeted for.

BEEF STEW - MONTH END STATEMENT
    SALES/COSTS €/£

SALES (900 UNITS * €/£10) 9,000
    MATERIAL - BEEF (81,000 GRAMS) 3,645
    LABOUR - 120 HOURS 1,320
    ACTUAL CONTRIBUTION 4,035

SW stated that he was confused by the statement received as it is did not take the form of an
    operating statement reconciliation as previously agreed. KF rang finance to question why this was
    not sent to SW and was informed that SW had not sent the standards to finance. SW checked his
    files, agreed that this was an oversight and agreed to e-mail the standards to KF after the meeting.
    Finance confirmed that the summary figures sent were accurate and promised that a full operating
    statement reconciliation and financial analysis would be returned to SW within 24 hours of receiving
    the standard cost card from SW.

SW stated that he was disappointed; He had expected positive results as he intentionally purchased
    inferior cuts of beef (compared to the cuts incorporated into the dish’s standard cost) for use in the
    dish during the month and had used trainee chefs to produce the dish. KF assured SW that this was
    only a trial month and that the benefits of the system in improving future performance should be
    SW’s focus. To that end she assured SW that she will call to finance with the standards to ensure
    that the finance team will complete an operating statement reconciliation for the dish for the month
    ended October 2013 and that she will task them to work with SW to identify causes of any adverse
    figures reported and how they can be corrected in future months"

Above is part of the last two paragraphs of the Assessment. Does anyone think from reading this that the reconciliation will be given to us on the day of the assessment, meaning the variances, would have already being computed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 viv_d

Yes I was thinking that the Operating Statement reconciliation may be provided and that we will be given the materials and labour variances and will have to work back to see mix and yield from the cheaper beef they used.

viv_d wrote: »
    Yes I was thinking that the Operating Statement reconciliation may be provided and that we will be given the materials and labour variances and will have to work back to see mix and yield from the cheaper beef they used.

are these on the exam?

are these on the exam?

Really don't know, but |I assumed they were

• Registered Users Posts: 2 viv_d

I checked the competency statement and they are on there overall - the SFMA formal interim assessment just states that this includes CAP1 and "Some new areas from CAP2
    (candidates expected to research these areas themselves: self-directed learning)"

If anyone knows anything different can they comment. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 cluray

Can't really ask mix and yield if you only have one ingredient, you need to be given 2 ingredients.

I think you could be asked to prepare the reconcile yourself as you are the management accountant in this hotel.

• Advertisement

cluray wrote: »
    Can't really ask mix and yield if you only have one ingredient, you need to be given 2 ingredients.

I think you could be asked to prepare the reconcile yourself as you are the management accountant in this hotel.

You're probably right as it says the standard cost card should only include the cost of the main ingredient (meat, poultry or fish), so maybe we will be asked to do the standard cost card for Beef, the various variances for them and then reconcile budgeted to actual. There may also be a theory element about inventory control (because of the poor control over fresh ingredients)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jenniferm86

Hi Sarahmcm90 I am living in Boyle if you would like to consider reviewing the assessment,

Jen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Guys, can someone post the 2014 Planning and Delivery Schedule pdf?

myshirt wrote: »
    Guys, can someone post the 2014 Planning and Delivery Schedule pdf?

CAP2 Planning and Delivery Schedule SFMA Finance 20131 2014.pdf

CAP2 Planning and Delivery Schedule SFMA Management Accounting.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mariar89

is any one else having problems streaming the SFMA online session 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Foxy1987

Hey guys :)

Is there any of the big4 students on here who have received notes on the assessment? Last year i did module 1 and they had posted them on here :) would really appreciate it :)

Hope everyone had a good xmas roll on the 18th and we get these over with :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jas30

Hey
    I'm not in BIG 4 but someone passed on some info for Financial Reporting Assessment. It's only some of the what was given out but at least it something :) Would really appreciate if someone would post information for SFMA if at all possible!

Further attachments :)

That's all the info I have. Hope it helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Hows the study going for everyone?

I'm working through the FR stuff over the last few days, haven't done much in SFMA though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mypillowface

Study is not going great but I have mainly concentrated on SFMA case study but plan on doing FR over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Any Big 4 students, who have received SFMA assessment notes, from their firms. If you could post them up it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lou2402

Hi,

I cant seem to find any specific info about what sessions the assessments for FR & SFMA are covering. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

lou2402 wrote: »
    Hi,

I cant seem to find any specific info about what sessions the assessments for FR & SFMA are covering. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks

Hi
    From what I know sessions 1 to 6 for fr and all cap 1 finance and mgmt accounting as per competency statement for sfma

• Registered Users Posts: 4 valowilliams

Hi All,
    Do you know if the information on Session 4 for Management Accounting will be relevant for the case study? I just had a flick through the notes and it covers corporate structure and performance measurement? I haven't watched the lecture yet so not sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

lou2402 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

I've only really looked at FR. But take a look at the Competancy Statement. It lists the following standards as being examinable at the Interim Assessment:

IFRS 3,9,10
    IAS 1,2,7,8,10,11,12,16,17

• Registered Users Posts: 1 diarmaid92

Anyone from the big 4 got notes or anything from firm please please put them up here... Im struggling a lot with SFMA

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TAA_ICAI

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what CAP2 sessions we would possibly need to cover for the SFMA CA? As I notice not all groups have covered the same sessions - Dublin group 1 have only covered sessions 1&2. Would I be right in thinking we only need to look at sessions 1&2 then? Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Fairly sure everything is examinable in sfma.

Any word on notes going round for sfma yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hey guys I'm repeating financial reporting this year. I was thinking about repeating the assessment now to to improve my mark. Would anybody have the layout of the paper for this year ? What can be asked in question 1 ? Is it still SOFP, SOCI, or cash flows ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm repeating financial reporting this year. I was thinking about repeating the assessment now to to improve my mark. Would anybody have the layout of the paper for this year ? What can be asked in question 1 ? Is it still SOFP, SOCI, or cash flows ?

Possible layout:

Q1: SoFP, PL, CF or CinE

Q2: some sort of consolidation, I think only Cosol. FP is on?

Q3: something else like suspense ac, detailed revaluation, cant remember what else

• Advertisement

Possible layout:

Q1: SoFP, PL, CF or CinE

Q2: some sort of consolidation, I think only Cosol. FP is on?

Q3: something else like suspense ac, detailed revaluation, cant remember what else

Hi thanks for that. Sounds if it's changed a little from last year. I thought it was a very unfair paper last year as it was extremely though for time, even more so than the summer exam. I'll see can I get a look at the sample papers.

So how is everyone studying for SFMA? Are you doing past case studies?

So how is everyone studying for SFMA? Are you doing past case studies?

not bad. I don't think there is any point in doing past papers. I am just focusing around the case study understanding tax treatment in nrv calculation, variances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 miii

Hi everyone

I m sitting FR CA next week and have got notes from institute but sitting SFMA FR and Audit in June would nyone b willing to send me the notes for these subjects for this yr as i was pregnant last yr and cudnt sit them appreciate ur help :-)

Hey guys. Anyone have the timetable for Dublin group 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Horse Box 20

Hey got these smfa notes from a friend of a friend who is one of the big 4, don't know how genuine they are but have a look and let us know what you think

Thanks

Hey got these smfa notes from a friend of a friend who is one of the big 4, don't know how genuine they are but have a look and let us know what you think

Thanks

those notes look great. Thanks

So who is going to bring a box of notes into the exam? I didn't think I would, but the closer it gets the more I think I will. Just to have them there as a safety net I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Noonster

Thanks HorseBox20 for those notes- they look very useful. Haven't really looked at SFMA yet,but will plunge in tomorrow.

Spent today doing the 3 FR papers from last year. Timing is a major issue. No way I could get them finished in an hour and a half. Anyone know why there is a May paper as well?? It was a terrible paper last year!!! It's a shame that we haven't been any guidance on this exam or gone through any papers with the lecturer (D1 hasn't anyway) to help us prepare or to get a better idea of what they are looking for.....

Noonster wrote: »
    Thanks HorseBox20 for those notes- they look very useful. Haven't really looked at SFMA yet,but will plunge in tomorrow.

Spent today doing the 3 FR papers from last year. Timing is a major issue. No way I could get them finished in an hour and a half. Anyone know why there is a May paper as well?? It was a terrible paper last year!!! It's a shame that we haven't been any guidance on this exam or gone through any papers with the lecturer (D1 hasn't anyway) to help us prepare or to get a better idea of what they are looking for.....

I sat the fr in January last year, the first fr assessment, and I can tell you the feedback from the majority of students was horrific. Just go in and get whatever you done you can and move on. I got 4.3 last year and failed the main exam, but that was my own fault as I studied for no more than four days as I moved house twice, bought a house and moved jobs twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KingsbryKev

Last year was the first year of the FR CA so it was a bit of an unknown, the impression from lecturers this year is that there wasn't enough time to complete it all and not to use the Jan 2013 paper as a benchmark for your preparation

Noonster wrote: »

I did the exact same as you yesterday and I can manage all the questions but not a hope of me getting a paper done in 90 mins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wing Back

Hi all....new to this thread. Seems like an invaluable resource for distance and external students. Doing 3 exams myself.... FR, Tax and SFMA myself. So plenty to do.

Only doing the FR continuous assessment as have a reasonable mark from last year in SFMA. How are people getting on with FR then? Hope to be able to get Friday off and do a few hours each evening this week for it.

JAS30 posted up a lot of material in relation to the FR which was good to see. Has anyone gone through this?? Seen it was Margaret which put the Journal prep together which gives me some confidence.

Have many people gone through the past papers? What's the verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 the_law13

How many hours in total are people putting in for FR and SFMA CA's on the 18th? I heard that KPMG told their students that 3 hours for 3-4 evenings this week would (in most cases) result in the avg mark of 11-12%. Opinions??

Guys sorry to post this again but does anyone have the dublin group 3 timetable?

Guys sorry to post this again but does anyone have the dublin group 3 timetable?

i have group 2 if that's of any use? Can you not get it via the course material?

• Advertisement

Starting to feel a lot better about SFMA having spent the last 2 evenings looking through the materials provided by Horsebox-thanks again. I think there is a limited amount you can prepare in advance for SFMA in terms of the case study, so will probably just spend tomorrow evening going over variances and tax/capital allowances when calculating NPV, and then get back to FR.

Hadn't realised that last year was the first year for FR. Nervous that they might ask a full question on consolidation which I have not really looked at. Hopefully, they will decide not be groundbreaking and stick to the IAS Q1 for 50 marks though....

the_law13 wrote: »
    How many hours in total are people putting in for FR and SFMA CA's on the 18th? I heard that KPMG told their students that 3 hours for 3-4 evenings this week would (in most cases) result in the avg mark of 11-12%. Opinions??
    Sounds about right to me

Is fr still worth 10% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kciara8595

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is fr still worth 10% ?

Yeh it is still 10% and SFMA is 15% :)

I have a question I hope someone will be able to help with. Its from FR Jan 2013 Q2 part a. Ballyhoe LTD.

31 dec 2011: NBV = 1166
    __________ revalu to 1100

= revaluation decrease of 66000

1. eliminate AD

AD 157000
    revalu______157000

2. account for remainder of movement:
    66000 + 157000 (AD) = 223000

NCA____________________223000
    revalu. surplus 180000
    loss on revalu 43000

NBV now = 1100

Dep for 2012:

1100@5% = 55000

AD__________________55000
    Dep Expense 55000

Giving a net result of:

NCA_____________________223000
    AD ______________102000
    Revalu
    P/L (loss on revalu) 43000
    Dep exp _________55000

I am going wrong somewhere, cos the solution is completely different. Help!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement