Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 CAP2 Discussion Group

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Foxy1987

Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any students on here from the north west? Just wondering because we have requested an exam centre in the Sligo area this year in order to cut down on stress and cost for students who have to travel to Dublin/Galway for exams!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jenniferm86

Foxy1987 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any students on here from the north west? Just wondering because we have requested an exam centre in the Sligo area this year in order to cut down on stress and cost for students who have to travel to Dublin/Galway for exams!

An Exam centre in sligo would be great, i live 30 mins from sligo and between babysitters and the cost of staying in galway for the week it would be a blessing

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emily1990

Has anybody tried to watch Session 9 & 10 of Financial Reporting online? The screen is coming up really small like a quarter of the size it is normally. He types out the notes on excell sheets throughout the whole thing but I can barely see what he's typing even when I zoom in to 200%. Is this the same for everyone else?? It's extremely frustrating!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Noonster

Mine too. If you click the 'Full screen' - the 4 arrows - button in the top right hand corner of the screen it is better, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emily1990

Noonster wrote: »
    Mine too. If you click the 'Full screen' - the 4 arrows - button in the top right hand corner of the screen it is better, I think?

Thanks, I thought that was going to fix it but I think it just moves it to the center because I still can't seem to read it properly :/ It can't be good to have my face pushed up so close to the screen for 4 hours either trying to read the tiniest blurried font. I've sent an email asking can it be edited to have the normal screen size but I don't know do they pass any heed of them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kciara8595

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone who has the revised CAP2 Dublin 1 timetable could they please put it up. SFMA was on yday instead of FR so just wanna get the new one if there is one!
    Thanks a mill!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mh2014

Foxy1987 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm from Donegal and an exam centre in the north west would be great make it a lot easier and less expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

Mh2014 wrote: »
    I'm from Donegal and an exam centre in the north west would be great make it a lot easier and less expensive.

there's going to be an exam centre in derry

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Foxy1987

You wouldn't be able to sit any of the tax exams in derry if you were from the North West :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Hey guys,

Currently looking at getting all my notes, exam papers in order with study leave over 2 months away.

Has anybody started studying yet?

Was hoping to start tipping away at a few subjects but looking through notes tonight, it's hard to know where to bloody start.........:eek:

What are people's strategy for getting started?
    Any past CAP 2 students around to pass on some tips?

At this point I'm thinking:
    1. FR - Consolidation q's, think we've more lectures to cover but worth getting a start.
    2. Audit - tab the standards book perhaps? look at past papers?
    3. SFMA - Still a nice bit to cover.
    4. Tax - Basically read book, learn rules, do questions.

All a tad overwhelming but despite a hefty study leave, I don't want to start it without a grasp of what's needed.......or at worst all notes in order and a decent knowledge of the standard and layout of past papers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

I have started studying awhile now,have a good bit of time as not in a contract and doing a part time course, only doing audit and tax tho,

For tax i have really just been working with question, still looking at solutions for some stuff but its slowly clicking....
    from what i can see the specific that you need to know so far is due dates, the conditions for reliefs.. you'll need to know how to advise your client re cgt cat and stamp duty but for me at the min I'm hoping doing question will help understand and learn the theory a bit better

for audit, i have started making up notes such as having a list of isa and what there are, the substantive methods for inventory nca etc, and pg referencing them to the book so that i can look at that and basically find what i need as quick as possible, i would easily drift into looking for answers from the book so I'm hoping this helps, but ill find out in the mid term

other than that, i find it a bit of a mind field, i get the principle behind it and what to look at, but the layout and basically dissecting what I'm actually being asked is where I'm really struggling atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I'm seriously disappointed with the standard of some of the lectures. I'm in Cork and one in particular is terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

jus_tin4 wrote: »

for audit, i have started making up notes such as having a list of isa and what there are, the substantive methods for inventory nca etc, and pg referencing them to the book so that i can look at that and basically find what i need as quick as possible, i would easily drift into looking for answers from the book so I'm hoping this helps, but ill find out in the mid term

Even though it is an open book exam you will/should not spend to much time looking at your books/notes. If you practice the questions and and get into the mindset of the examiner then you will not need to be looking into the book to much.

Plus you wont have too much time to be looking through your notes, you will spend all your time writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

Can't seem to find the email stating date of assessment results. Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GaryC1989

The results will be out before the 28th of February

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Suz711

How are the results given out? Do we just check the website or do we get and email etc?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GaryC1989

Incase you didn't get the email:

Please be advised, that the CAP2 Interim Assessment results for SFMA and Financial Reporting which were held on 18th January 2014, will be published to your student portal this Friday, 28th February 2014 at 9am.

Please log on to your student portal to view your result under the Exam Results section and then select “Assessment Results”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Suz711

Hey thanks for that got that email this afternoon ..typical eheh cheers
    GaryC1989 wrote: »
    Incase you didn't get the email:

Please be advised, that the CAP2 Interim Assessment results for SFMA and Financial Reporting which were held on 18th January 2014, will be published to your student portal this Friday, 28th February 2014 at 9am.

Please log on to your student portal to view your result under the Exam Results section and then select “Assessment Results”.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

FYI Results up

FYI Results up
    no sign of mine yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FYI Results up

Best of luck to everybody !! I was waiting on these two results lady year so I know how you feel.

No sign of mine yet. I really wish they'd just hurry up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

Best of luck to everybody today...

I was in the same boat last year waiting on these results.. Don't get too hung up if the results are not that positive cuz it's the results in June that counts..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 the_law13

What are the averages for these?? Is above 50 okay?? Or should it be above 70?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

No sign of mine yet. I really wish they'd just hurry up!!

You checked under 'assessments'?

Could someone please put up the sfma examiners report for the 2014 January assessment. I cant seem to open it on the website as it is coming up as an error. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Here you go.

Does anybody know when the auditing assessment will be released ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Well i was just wondering about the standard costing question for Management accounting.
    If your given a question like this.

Products sold in 18 litre containers
    Product Litres
    X
    Y
    Z
    There is a standard loss of 10% in the manufacturing process.

Actual output is 36000 containers.

To get the Standard Quanity and in standard proprtions for working out the yield, do you just do this?
    36000/.9 = 40000
    X 40000*4=160000
    Y 40000*6=240000
    Z 40000*10=400000

• Advertisement

What's anyone think of the topics for audit mid term?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ljc2013

Has anyone got any hints on how to approach the audit assessment study/prep now that the topics are released? Have any of the Big 4 firms given good advice or tips to students?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ljc2013

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Does anybody know when the auditing assessment will be released ?

its released now. do u need a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

ljc2013 wrote: »
    Has anyone got any hints on how to approach the audit assessment study/prep now that the topics are released? Have any of the Big 4 firms given good advice or tips to students?

no. Were all too busy working!

ljc2013 wrote: »
    its released now. do u need a copy?

Would you mind ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

here are the files that came with the email...

• Advertisement

here are the files that came with the email...

Thank you !!

been going over the mid term, investments and bank and cash haven't come up to much

Would anyone have any idea where I could find additional questions on Investments and Bank and Cash that are not from Past Papers/Assessments,

Many Thanks.

Would anyone have any idea where I could find additional questions on Investments and Bank and Cash that are not from Past Papers/Assessments,

Many Thanks.

Anyone can access CPA exam papers online. I'm not sure what they are like, but it might be work a look.

Anyone can access CPA exam papers online. I'm not sure what they are like, but it might be work a look.

Great idea thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement

So, view on the audit CA?

Thought it went ok, thought i would do better though. Bit short on time towards the end.

mocks next week should be a disaster, shame its sfma/fr first as i could have used a few weeks to tip away on those.

Same really! Was nearly looking for more complicated stuff than what was being asked so sorta confused myself a bit tbh! Was an easy enough paper just disappointed in how it went for me! I'll be happy with a 40 truthfully! Only doing audit and tax but it's all very tight for prep, going to give it my best shot tho and try just to make sure my timing is right for the exam at the very least

Do you get much study leave? I'd have thought Audit/Tax would be slightly nicer than SFMA/FR which seem to be tough on time, huge amount of material.

Wonder if any previous CAP2 students read this thread - would be nice to get some hints for each subject?

I'm gonna get my SFMA folders in order tonight for the mocks - but will only get a chance to cover a couple of areas this week - maybe variances and something else.

FR I'm thinking to try a few Consol q's and then try and get thru some of the standards that make up Q1 IAS1 Adjustments - wont get thru them all but want to have a stab at the question anyway.

Feeling slightly overwhelmed at the minute- even at this early stage!.....:eek:

conor1979 wrote: »
    Even though it is an open book exam you will/should not spend to much time looking at your books/notes. If you practice the questions and and get into the mindset of the examiner then you will not need to be looking into the book to much.

Plus you wont have too much time to be looking through your notes, you will spend all your time writing.

Hey Conor,

Any tips for this years cap2 students - how to get a grip on each subject, study method?

cheers....:)

Santi101 wrote: »
    Wonder if any previous CAP2 students read this thread - would be nice to get some hints for each subject?

I'm gonna get my SFMA folders in order tonight for the mocks - but will only get a chance to cover a couple of areas this week - maybe variances and something else.

FR I'm thinking to try a few Consol q's and then try and get thru some of the standards that make up Q1 IAS1 Adjustments - wont get thru them all but want to have a stab at the question anyway.

Feeling slightly overwhelmed at the minute- even at this early stage!.....:eek:

There is no need to feel overwhelmed, especially about the mocks. They are just practice, to get your timing right for the main exam.

Even the best prepared fail one or two. I failed all four. My highest mark was 30%!!! But I passed all the four main exams because after the mocks I followed my study plan and did what I needed to do.

Make sure that you cover all topics in each subject, especially SFMA. Yes it takes a lot of time but you never know what will come up.

Dont depend on an open book. If you have things tabbed perfectly and know where everything is then fine, but dont waste time searching through a book for something you think you saw 6 months ago that might only get you a mark or two!

Any questions just fire away.

Thanks.

I think the first two mocks will be a disaster really - hoping to do a little better in Audit/Tax mocks in 3 weeks with more time to prepare and the nature of the exams.

Could you give us a rough idea about your study techniques for the different subjects and which ones you spent most time on?

Also, what was your study timetable like early on in study leave? Studying work hours, weekends? Want to get a plan in order but also dont want to burn out or peak too early. I know it will be different for everybody but good to hear what worked for others.!

Thanks.

I think the first two mocks will be a disaster really - hoping to do a little better in Audit/Tax mocks in 3 weeks with more time to prepare and the nature of the exams.

Could you give us a rough idea about your study techniques for the different subjects and which ones you spent most time on?

Also, what was your study timetable like early on in study leave? Studying work hours, weekends? Want to get a plan in order but also dont want to burn out or peak too early. I know it will be different for everybody but good to hear what worked for others.!

I must have been writing my last post at the same time as you were writing yours!!!

As you say everyone is different and I got a bit sick of everyone telling me how to study properly! A big difference for people is the amount of time that they have to study. I'm not married and have no kids so I had all the time in the world.

Because of this I did as much study as I could handle from day 1. With the 2 CA's after Xmas I decided my time would be better spent studying than drinking over the Xmas break. By the time the mocks came around I had covered a lot of the material that came up in the exams, but getting it down on paper in exam format and with time pressure was different. But I did recognize nearly everything on the papers to some degree.

Through out the year I would be in college every second weekend and the other weekends were spent studying. Not every study weekend went to plan. Some days I might get 6 hours done, some maybe 2 hours. Sometimes I would get frustrated on the Sat, do no study then go out on the Sat night and blow off a bit of steam. You will have to do this at some stage. You might not need to go drinking but you will need a break of some sort.

I went to the Chartered Grind School weekends. If you can afford them go. If you cant afford them, beg, borrow and steal so you can go to them. They were fast and intense weekends, but I was able to focus in on what I needed to do and didn't need to do after them.

I then had two weeks study leave before the exams. I knew what I had left to go over so I just picked a subject each day and did exam questions for that subject. As I said I had most topics covered to some degree at this stage.

In the exams there is very little you should be searching through for in your books notes. The few things that I feel that you will need to bring in are such things like a consolidation template, pick one of the older exams that has loads of different adjustments on it so that when doing your consol you can check the template to make sure that everything in the question you are doing you have entered in your consol.

For SFMA make sure you have templates of things like variances, swaps, options and anything else that you are not comfortable with. in my exam a question came up on variances that was virtually the exact same as one I had in my notes. I recognized the type of question as soon as I saw it and was literally able to just change the numbers. I got 55% in SFMA and without that template I would have been repeating.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded for a Sunday! Hopefully some it will help but if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I'm doing my FAE's this year so still in study mode!!!!

Good stuff.

What is included in the Chartered Grind School price? Do you get notes etc given to you on the day?

Think i'll try and go for FR and SFMA.

Good stuff.

What is included in the Chartered Grind School price? Do you get notes etc given to you on the day?

Think i'll try and go for FR and SFMA.

You get a book in each subject that will have all the topics in them. They were great for studying after as I found that trying to go through the books we got in college was tough as there was so much in them. The CGS books had everything condensed.

The lecturers were quality too. They go through a lot and for me it comes across a lot more understandable than in college.

The days move fairly quick and can be intense but for me they were worth every penny and I am doing them again this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement