Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing bulbs on street lights in estate not taken in charge by the council

Options
  • 02-12-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, we have a few bulbs blown in our estate . One light is off all the time And another comes on and off. The council have not taken in charge and the developer is not responding to calls. Has anyone been in the same position?wondering is it easy to change a bulb as light is about 3-4 m high. Could it be a faulty photocell if light coming on and off also. Any help, experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The light going on and off is fairly typical for a lamp nearing its end of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

they're easy enough

all you need is someone to get you up to it

try bulb first...if not try photocell after that

there's plenty of estates in that situation

if there's a electrician resident in the estate he should be able to look after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Are you in a DCC area. They generally respond to most issues within 24-48 hours eg graffti removal, burst pipes, dumped waste, replacing light bulbs. I once phoned to report a broken mains, that was reaching the surface and one of the senior staff in DCC personally called me, thanking me for reporting the pipe as it was wasting so much water.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tele2

Thanks to all, I'll get the ladder out and see if I can take off the cover and remove the bulb. Already rand the council who said talk to the developer so guess we're on our own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

http://www.jcb.co.uk/Products/Machines/Telescopic-Wheel-Loaders.aspx
    probably not too many around now
    great job with a pallet ..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

tele2 wrote: »
    Thanks to all, I'll get the ladder out and see if I can take off the cover and remove the bulb. Already rand the council who said talk to the developer so guess we're on our own

This is not a job for a ladder Imo It's a two man job with the correct hoist and someone trained to use it.
    Have you written to the developer and made them aware of the H&S failings in the estate, I assume the council have no intention of taking this over at the moment and you could make them aware of that, and possibly your intentions

Hi Stoner, the developer is not going to replace the bulbs. He has applied to the council to take it in charge and that's a few years ago now. The lights are quite low and while I agree a hoist is the safer solution, in our case it'd be too expensive for 2 bulbs that should be accessible with a tall stepladder with a wide base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 2014

The council wont take charge of the estate until every little thing is correct, it would be wrong to be asking the council to solve the matter, is there not any management company?

• Advertisement

i've maintained some where the bankrupt builder still takes an interest

other estates the owners have to look after it

all the same..you have to hire out the right lift and a sparkie to go with it

council won't do jack

tele2 wrote: »
    Hi Stoner, the developer is not going to replace the bulbs. He has applied to the council to take it in charge and that's a few years ago now. The lights are quite low and while I agree a hoist is the safer solution, in our case it'd be too expensive for 2 bulbs that should be accessible with a tall stepladder with a wide base.

well now..a stepladders not too dodgy in fairness ,but they're not usually that low

Hi 2014, no there's no management company as it's a housing estate not an apartment complex or similar. The lights are quite low in comparison to standard types.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

I would have thought the first thing you should do is establish what bulb is in the fitting. If the gear is in the base of the pole it should give some indication of what lamp is installed.
    And at that point you could determine if there is a photocell in place and if its faulty.

Advertisement