Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Android smartphones be updated to the latest version forever?

• 02-12-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can Android smartphones be updated to the latest version indefinitely? Or must I eventually get a newer model? For example if I were to buy a smartphone with 'Ice Cream Sandwich' - could I immediately update the version to KitKat and so on?

I've never owned a smartphone.

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Officially no. Also what do you mean by indefinitely?
    Its up to the handset manufacturers to decide if their Android smartphone will get the latest version.
    This will depend on factors like cost, userbase, ROI and potential of users to upgrade to newer phones after contract expires.

A Google Nexus device released in the last 2 years or 2 product cycles will get the newest update like KitKat but any later than that and it will be on the last officially released Android version.
    Most other manufacturers will release updates and support their phone for 18-24 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Interestingly, with Kit kat, Google have moved towards designing Android to work on lower specced phones for the first time. So basically older phones should be able to run kit kat better than jelly bean.

I suspect it's to stop ppl leaving android for iOS after having a bad experience with a cheap "tester" phone that can only run gingerbread.

But ye, u can only update if u root and flash a custom rom, but more importantly, only if someone on xda makes a rom for the phone. Without developer support, ur out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭Worztron

I only use pre-pay. Roughly how long would I be able to have an Android smartphone (e.g. Sony Xperia E) before it is no longer supported. Would it then be vulnerable? Or would it always be safe for just phone calls and texting?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

If you have an Xperia E, then you'll be able to get updates for as long as there is developer support on XDA. Most ROMs are generally secure, so I wouldnt really worry about vulnerability. Get a security app if you're that worried.

The Xperia E specs are just above the HTC Desire from 2010, which people have ported KitKat to, so it should be able to run KitKat no problem. The question is, though, will anybody do it?
    Luckily, the Xperia E shares support with a couple of other phones, as can be seen on its XDA page so you might have developers pooling together, which might increase its longevity. However, theres no 4.4 ROMs there at the moment so it might just be that all the good developers are using other phones.

You could have the best phone in the world, but if neither your operator, or devs on XDA bother making a custom ROM, then there's nothing you can do, short of learning how to port a ROM yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I have a Galaxy S running Android version 4.3.1, I'm not sure that was even supported by the provider in Ireland past Froyo and it's still running strong. There's a lot of support in the mod world for it as it was a pretty popular phone and Kit Kat is on the way for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement