Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parl L regulations

• 02-12-2013 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Everyone. Im building my own home at the moment and was just wondering if anyone has any idea if an ordinary wood burning stove (not a pellet burner) will qualify for part L of the renewable energies regulations. Just a stove that you would throw a few logs into by hand. I really dont want to install solar or geo thermal if i can help it. It says it will on the SEAI website but my engineer thinks they wont pass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (Ps planning permission was passed in march 2013)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

have you had the house modeled in ber software thats the only way to find out what renewables you require to pass part l

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

if an ordinary wood burning stove (not a pellet burner) will qualify for part L of the renewable energies regulations.
    It says it will on the SEAI website but my engineer thinks they wont pass.
    some of the seai wesite stuff has a not been updated since the 2011 part l regs.
    it is possible i suppose, though i have not come across a stove as the only renewable under the 2011 regs.

id assume that if you could prove to your local building control officer that 'a reasonalbe % of renewable s' was achievd by using say the phpp and deap software, to show that you have a super insulated, air-tight, mvhr, perfect compact glazing design towards solar etc etc and
    • you would need to demonstrate the that building can be heated and heat the hot water demand from this wood burning stove
    • that main fuel source for the house is a wood burning stove, (probably the only fuel source for the house)
    and the only way to all this is by planning your house meticulously with alot of help and expertise including input from your architect and BER assessor

if i was your architect/engineer id be saying:

'yes it can be done, lets make it happen, its a great challenge! but are you prepared to pay me to design a super low energy home and enter dialogue with the local building control authority to prove the merits of your approach and get a dispensation'

this is why many self-builders cop-out and install a heat pump..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its very possible for a small dwelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its very possible for a small dwelling

...bearing mind that it must be limited to burning wood fuels rather than solid multi-fuel (DEAP section 10.3.3).

good point syd

Op what size is the dwelling?

• Advertisement

i did an assessment a few years back under the 2008 regs and i was pleasantly surprised how easily a manual feed wood stove is at complying. Its a good way to provide an alternative to all the bells and whistles of a a solar and / or heat pump system. Youd be amazed at how little controls, mechanics etc you need to comply.

just really suits smaller dwellings though, or ones with very little heat loss.

edit: just to note, in my opinion this document still stands as the comparable 2011 version hasnt been published yet.

Obviously 2011 reg compliance has to be shown through DEAP

approx what size was this gaff Syd?

around 100 sq m from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 36 basilbuster

Hi Folks. Sorry only gettin back to this now. The house is 1950 sq feet and i have installed triple glazing with insulated frames, 80mm cavity wall insulation and intend to dry line external walls and put 50mm insulated ceiling boards in place also. Thought this was a simple decision of what renewable source to install but am fast finding out its everything but simple. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

If there's no solar water heating installed, then the water heating is likely to exceed the space heating demand in a very well insulated airtight dwelling I think.
    On a dwelling of this size (~180m2), you could meet the renewables requirements with a solar water heating system with a solar fraction in the high 50s. The contribution from this would be far higher than a secondary wood burning stove....

• Advertisement

MOTM wrote: »
    ....The contribution from this would be far higher than a secondary wood burning stove....

im reading the OP as proposing the wood stove as the primary heat source, not the secondary...

there is no mention by the OP of any other kind of heating such as oil etc.?

perhaps the OP can clarify??

Advertisement