Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned mackerel

Options
  • 02-12-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of tinned fish, they last and are usually good hot or cold.
    So I was down at my local Londis and picked up some tinned mackerel to have with pasta.
    I got the usual in tomato sauce and just saw a new limited edition, "Princes Mackerel Mexican" in chipotle sauce. I like chipotle so got one to have with some pasta.

At home I opened it up to have a taste to see if it would be nice and lol I ate the whole thing straight up :D
    Back tomorrow to buy all the rest of the tins before someone else get them..

So if you like tinned mackerel give these a go!
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yep love canned fish.
    The herring in creme pepper sauce from lidl is delish

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Yep love canned fish.
    The herring in creme pepper sauce from lidl is delish
    I agree and am reminded to buy some more. Also like John West herring in tomato sauce, Aldi herring in mustard sauce, Glenryck pilchards in tom sauce and Aldi mackerel in tom sauce, in that order. Aldi have herring in other sauces that i haven't tried.

Pilchards are, it seems, just mature sardines but I prefer the Glenryck pilchards to any tinned sardines I've tried.

It seems there are some quite expensive "specialty" brands of tinned sardine available - haven't tried them.

I don't like tinned tuna. Would prefer tinned salmon always.

Would appreciate any recommendations for tinned fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I loved tinned fish.
    How do you guys eat it?
    With a salad?
    Mixed with pasta?
    In a sandwich / roll?

I loved it spread on toasted mccambridge style bread. nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I loved tinned fish.
    How do you guys eat it?
    With a salad?
    Mixed with pasta?
    In a sandwich / roll?

I loved it spread on toasted mccambridge style bread. nyom!
    I usually mash it into boiled potatoes with some butter. The butter probably cancels out the health benefits of oily fish but it's a quick and tasty meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Sardines or mackerel in tomato sauce spread over a slice of bread and few parmisan shavings and toasted.

Awesome for breakfast or a late night treat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement