Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikram Yoga

Options
  • 02-12-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone do Bickram yoga? Where is the best place in Dublin (town or south side). do many guys do it?

Why is it so expensive? Why are prices almost the same in every studio?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Rory1 wrote: »
    Hi,

It's a cult :)

I do it in Harold's cross and there are a good few lads doing it but way out numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

I was in a class last week and majority were men!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

The Sandyford studio is great, handy enough for the Luas too. Lots of guys go there so don't feel awkward about joining the class!

Bikram yoga is essentially a franchise, Bikram Choudhery is a real person, from India originally & lives in L.A. He devised this series of postures to be performed in a studio heated to 40 degrees and patented it (even though yoga itself is thousands of years old, yes it is a bit controversial).

The costs of heating the studios to 40 degrees, paying the staff and whatever other overheads in a normal business would explain the expensive prices. You can buy packages that reduce the cost, so 10 classes or 50 classes or 6 month membership etc. they all affect the cost per class when you work it out. There was a Groupon deal recently for the Sandyford studio, it was €29 for 10 classes I think, which is excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I was in a class last week and majority were men!

Happens sometimes, very rare though! Last Sunday in Ringsend it was 6/3 M/F.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Hi,

Does anyone do Bickram yoga? Where is the best place in Dublin (town or south side). do many guys do it?

Drury Street is a great studio.

You can do a €49 euro month taster - try go as much as possible!

After that they do a good deal of €99 a month - you don't have to sign up for a direct debit and you can take time off between each month that you buy. By going 4 times a week it works out fairly reasonable per class.

Lots of guys do it and they generally are very good! Most classes are 30/40% male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭purethick

do many guys do it?
    Yes. And don't worry about being self conscious in the class - you'll be going through your own private hell during the class that all those fears will be least of your worries :-)
    Why is it so expensive?
    The intro offers they run make it cheap to try out.
    Why are prices almost the same in every studio?
    They are franchises owned by an unsavoury character called Bikram Choudhury.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Wife goes to Harold's cross , I think with long standing members you get a further discount. Wife pays 79 euro DD monthly. Don't know how she did 40+ classes on the trot one time....

They have these monthly challenges, plus last November they were doing 10 euro for ten classes so it's worth to ring them to see if they have any deals going.

Advertisement