Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who here likes ignorant rap?

• 03-12-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

In the short while I've been visiting the threads in this forum, I've noticed that a lot of people here are into high-minded, high-concept rap,e.g. Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Talib Kweli etc.

And even though I enjoy that kind of music, I also love completely ignorant music that's abou money, pu$$y and drugs.

I love Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka Flame, Migos, Juicy J, etc. Is anyone else with me? Or am I alone in this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Jezek wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

In the short while I've been visiting the threads in this forum, I've noticed that a lot of people here are into high-minded, high-concept rap,e.g. Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Talib Kweli etc.

And even though I enjoy that kind of music, I also love completely ignorant music that's abou money, pu$$y and drugs.

I love Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka Flame, Migos, Juicy J, etc. Is anyone else with me? Or am I alone in this.

Hmmmmm I don't think your opinion is going to be a particularly popular one on this forum and for good reason. Songs like the one you linked are terrible and shouldn't really be classed as music. It's a real shame that some of the people you mentioned are so well known when significantly better artists just fall through the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Hmmmmm I don't think your opinion is going to be a particularly popular one on this forum and for good reason. Songs like the one you linked are terrible and shouldn't really be classed as music. It's a real shame that some of the people you mentioned are so well known when significantly better artists just fall through the cracks.

Just because you like them doesn't mean they are terrible. I like them well enough and would definitely class them as music.

What is terrible are elitist attitudes such as in your post. No need to look down on music you don't enjoy.

Just because you like them doesn't mean they are terrible. I like them well enough and would definitely class them as music.

What is terrible are elitist attitudes such as in your post. No need to look down on music you don't enjoy.

Why did you even bother making this thread if you don't want to know other people's opinions? I was only responding to the question in your original post. No need to get so defensive.

I would like your opinion. If you do not like this music, I expect you to say so, then say why, giving some reasons or examples of why you do not like it.

I don't expect you to just call what i posted terrible, not even music, etc etc without reasons . I did get defensive (maybe I shouldn't have) because I really enjoy this music and see a lot of people condemning some very talented/hardworking artists without valid reasons or understanding of their music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

If you mean Versace, no, it's a hit song by group Migos. It blew up when Drake jumped on the remix :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmHW9IzZYzU

I don't expect you to just call what i posted terrible, not even music, etc etc without reasons . I did get defensive (maybe I shouldn't have) because I really enjoy this music and see a lot of people condemning some very talented/hardworking artists without valid reasons or understanding of their music.

You posted a music video which I presume you feel represents the kind of music you are talking about so I am going to comment on that song. As far as I can see the man in that video has no discernible talent whatsoever. All he does is repeatedly say versace. There are no lyrics of any meaning or even a good flow to the limited lines he does say.

That aside the song as a whole does nothing for me as it is far too boring and repetitive. The only good thing about the song is the beat and the producer deserves some credit for that but this Migos fella is terrible. Anyone could do what he does in this song.

You posted a music video which I presume you feel represents the kind of music you are talking about so I am going to comment on that song. As far as I can see the man in that video has no discernible talent whatsoever. All he does is repeatedly say versace. There are no lyrics of any meaning or even a good flow to the limited lines he does say.

That aside the song as a whole does nothing for me as it is far too boring and repetitive. The only good thing about the song is the beat and the producer deserves some credit for that but this Migos fella is terrible. Anyone could do what he does in this song.

Thanks for your critique, I see your points and would not agree with them, I can see where you are coming from. I think the flow and catchiness of the song are evidence of talent in these young rappers.
    only one thing... :) there are two fellas in that song :). I agree, the production is amazing (Zaytoven's). I do like the repetitive nature of the song, it's part of the whole Migos thing. The deal is, that rap for me is not always about complicated lyrics but something fun to listen to.

As for how representative migos are ..they are not really representative of ignorant rap music - it's a good example of a song, but there are so many different kinds of rap that I would have to post loads of videos to give a sample. Do you know the other artists work that I posted? Because some of them would be wildly different, and definitely worth a look. Some of them are accomplished artists with even an oscar winner in my list, hardly some random upstarts.

You might be more familiar with the people in this song (including everyone's favourite, Kendrick Lamar, acting ignorant. Drake and ASAP Rocky are all undeniably talented, but they can also enjoy rap as just some fun music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Socially conscious rap doesn't corner the market of what is considered 'good'. I can enjoy Bad Boys 2 just as much as a multiple Oscar-winner or obscure foreign movie. The world would be a lesser place had 'Move Bitch' not been recorded :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I listen to all types of music, but that Versace track has to be some of the worst noise that I've heard yet.

Tis not original, sounds like alot of other tracks, uses pop culture references which have been used better by others, repetitive as bejaysus, uses flashy visuals, throw in some twerkin dancers. But the masses gobble this type of thing up. I'm not one to dictate what others listen to, as a music lover, i like that people find something they like and get down with. But I do not fux with this type of song.

In relation to the F*cking Problems, I would equate the verses to be more of a throwback to the bravado style of rap that B.I.G., Pac, Fat Joe, Diddy, etc. etc. thrived from....rather than being ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheMza

I know they're not quite on the same level as the "ignorant" rappers posted above, but what do people think of A$AP MOB? I've been listening to Fergs album a good bit recently, it's a good one to chill and have a smoke to, chewing gum for the ears almost! Thought their recent cypher was decent too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Flockaveli is one of my favourite rap albums ever. I love some some good ignorant hip hop with obnoxious production. Gucci, Waka, 2 Chainz, A$AP, Cheif Keef, Fredo Santana, Ace Hood. I'd be gone mad if I just listened to 'real rap' all the time, always need some bangers now and then!

HighClass wrote: »
    Flockaveli is one of my favourite rap albums ever. I love some some good ignorant hip hop with obnoxious production. Gucci, Waka, 2 Chainz, A$AP, Cheif Keef, Fredo Santana, Ace Hood. I'd be gone mad if I just listened to 'real rap' all the time, always need some bangers now and then!

Exactly how I feel! Especially about Flockaveli. That's still on regular rotation in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

HighClass wrote: »
    Flockaveli is one of my favourite rap albums ever.
    sorry ,i can't stop laughin .

baddebt wrote: »

at least give us your impressions and thoughts on this album, widely considered a landmark in modern day gangsta rap abd crunk/trap music.

at least give us your impressions and thoughts on this album, widely considered a landmark in modern day gangsta rap abd crunk/trap music.

Em sorry but amongst what crowd is this considered a landmark in modern day rap?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

People that like gangsta and trap music...

Have you listened to the album? It's easily the best trap album ever made. Crazy production with some of Lex Lugers best beats, the production alone influenced hip hop massively. Perfect music to get you hyped up.

i did listen to the album (well i tried ) ,
    honestly , i'd ratther listen to drake (AND THATS STAYING SOMETHING)
    best trap album (but what exactly is trap music
    wannabe hiphop music)

i did listen to the album (well i tried ) ,
    honestly , i'd ratther listen to drake (AND THATS STAYING SOMETHING)
    best trap album (but what exactly is trap music
    wannabe hiphop music)

T.I, UGK, Young Jeezy, Juicy J. Must be making wannabe hip hop so if that's the case. Hip hop snobs are the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah another fan of Flockaveli here. It's not incredible but it's a very nice album...very memorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Yeah another fan of Flockaveli here. It's not incredible but it's a very nice album...very memorable.
    Flocka's delivery over Lex Luger production, pure hype! The main problem with that album is most of the guests and the length

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

I like some "ignorant rap" there a bit of a gimic and you know your not going to take anything from it there but the songs can be catchy, but When I heard 2 Chainz rap "her pussy was so good i bought her a pet" on a song, i taught to myself i cant subject my ears to this rubbish

Rappers like 2 Chainz, Big Sean, Wacka Flocka etc are an embarrassment to rap music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I guess this is the thread to finally say it, I like the odd Riff Raff cut for a bit of big dumb fun. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Gene_Parmesan

I don't consider myself a snob in the music I listen to by any means and in fact I enjoy a lot of music (whether it is hip hop or not) that isn't necessarily "intellectual" or "high minded" and would in fact lean more towards the "stupid" than "smart" end of the scale if you were to class music in that way.

There is something mind numbing though about a song that seems to intentionally set out to be ignorant and stupid (often repeating the same word(s) over and over ...the song in the OP is a good example of this). It is much harder to listen to something like this than it is to a song that happens to have some of these qualities merely by chance. In fact I'd go as far as to say that most of the time I can't bear to listen to songs like these.

I don't consider myself a snob in the music I listen to by any means and in fact I enjoy a lot of music (whether it is hip hop or not) that isn't necessarily "intellectual" or "high minded" and would in fact lean more towards the "stupid" than "smart" end of the scale if you were to class music in that way.

There is something mind numbing though about a song that seems to intentionally set out to be ignorant and stupid (often repeating the same word(s) over and over ...the song in the OP is a good example of this). It is much harder to listen to something like this than it is to a song that happens to have some of these qualities merely by chance. In fact I'd go as far as to say that most of the time I can't bear to listen to songs like these.
    AMEN

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Wow Chief Keef and Waka are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well, I do like some "ignorant rap" I have to say. It's all well and good appreciating hip hop that has a meaning, a story or depth, but sometimes I just like the way a track sounds, I don't really care what its about (unless it's in bad taste). A beat can be enough for me, if it bangs, the artist would have to be very annoying to turn me off it (why I don't like Future or Riff Raff).

Some examples of stuff I like to have on in the car lately:

That bass in the car.

Admittedly I can barely understand Chief Keef's slurring words, but I am a huge fan of Young Chop's production.

These type of songs are like guilty pleasures, I would'nt go recommending them to people who are not big into hip-hop, but I enjoy them from time to time, music doesn't have to be so serious, this is good and this is not etc., if people enjoy it then let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

I'm not sure if I would classify "ignorant rap" as the same thing as the OP.

Ignorant rap to me would include tracks like "who shot ya", "talk my nigga", "affirmative action", "Strictly 4 my Jeeps" and "big pimpin".

Maybe that is just me but love those tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

ustari wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I would classify "ignorant rap" as the same thing as the OP.

Ignorant rap to me would include tracks like "who shot ya", "talk my nigga", "affirmative action", "Strictly 4 my Jeeps" and "big pimpin".

Maybe that is just me but love those tracks.

Exactly what I was thinking, the op seems to be talking about rappers that are lyrically shít as well as having a lack of substance to their lyrics.

Whereas the likes of biggie and jay z and snoop and countless others are all well capable lyrically but have plenty of songs that I guess you could call "ignorant"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ignorant isnt the right word.

More like "mindless" as it's like people enjoying movies like The Expendables or something thats just mindless action, I can enjoy music that has no real substance but I like how it sounds.

Ignorant (ign'ant) comes from the rap community itself, from the south I think. It refers to the kind of music elitists frown upon as a rule. I think it's hard to define but it probably includes an element of hedonism, not too much attention to complex rhyme schemes or technically impressive rapping, but encourages getting turnt up, partying, banging big booty hoes, etc. The beat always has to bang hard though.

The fact that some acclaimed rappers have participated does not mean they cant get ignorant (Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Kanye), it means that they know that it's important to have fun.

A perfect send-up of the genre: (It's obvious that he's also a lover of the genre)

Ignorant (ign'ant) comes from the rap community itself, from the south I think. It refers to the kind of music elitists frown upon as a rule. I think it's hard to define but it probably includes an element of hedonism, not too much attention to complex rhyme schemes or technically impressive rapping, but encourages getting turnt up, partying, banging big booty hoes, etc. The beat always has to bang hard though.

The fact that some acclaimed rappers have participated does not mean they cant get ignorant (Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Kanye), it means that they know that it's important to have fun.

A perfect send-up of the genre: (It's obvious that he's also a lover of the genre)

It's obvious he's taking the piss out of the genre...

It's obvious he's taking the piss out of the genre...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sendup

Fair enough, didn't know what that meant. I don't get your point though. How does linking a video of a rapper taking the piss out of a genre you're trying to defend help your cause here?

• Advertisement

Fair enough, didn't know what that meant. I don't get your point though. How does linking a video of a rapper taking the piss out of a genre you're trying to defend help your cause here?

I don't have a cause, and I'm not defending anything. I'm just trying to get a discussion going - and if I'm defensive it's towards people having a knee-jerk reaction and dislike music on principle

I do wanna listen to people who've listened with an open mind to these rappers but didn't like them, and appreciate their contributions.

I also want to expose some people to this music, they might like it.

I posted the video cause I think it's funny. I like Tyler and he got it 100% right on this one.

This one is not a parody. Instead, it's one of the most interesting and unique characters on the scene, although probably the worst name ever, Young Thug. Again, these are not the deepest lyrics, but the guy has charm, can ride a beat, a unique flow and the song is sooo catchy to me ( gets stuck in my head).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

If the rappers lyrical ability is good enough to make you not care about the content then I'm all for lyrics with a lack of substance.

But in my opinion, when a rapper can strike the balance perfectly between their ability to spit and some substance to their lyrics they're a great artist eg the likes of Andre 3000 or Mos Def.

How anybody can sit there and say they enjoy listening to waka flocka flame or gucci mane or chief keef is beyond me, the lads haven't an iota of talent between them and it's actually amazing when you think about it to see that these lads are given the opportunity to release their music to the masses but don't have a brain cell between them so instead of educating people or telling cautionary tales they're still rapping about their rims and bitches and cristal.
    If they did it with a slight bit of talent i'd be able to understand why people listen to them, but they don't, so I don't!

Advertisement