Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning how to play guitar

Options
  • 03-12-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I have been starting to learn how to play guitar in the last few months, I’m finding a few things a little hard to understand and get to grips with. , it’s hard some times to find answers to questions when you start out playing guitar. I know some of these questions might sound silly, but theres just a few things I’m finding hard to do.

When your strumming when I record the music I played, the music sounds very chunky and the chord s are very heavy sounded . When I strum the strings , do you hit all the strings are just the light ones if that makes sense, could there be other reasons.

When I’m picking say you are playing the chord AM or A or E.And if you pick strings the finger is on , there is no sound from that string . For example this chord progression AM C G AM and the picking is 5T 4T i 5T 4T 5T 4T i 5T M 4T, I find when I pick must of the strings don’t make any noise, so when you pick am I’m doing something wrong .For example if you pick A chord or D chord and you pick the strings with finger on these chord there no noise how can this be C chord then

I hope this makes sense, I know I’m probably doing something stupid, Im just starting and I’m getting to grips with it slowy and surely , any advice is appreciated thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what do mean by "there is no sound from that string"?

are you learning from a book, or from online lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Im learnig from a book, when I pick the string my finger is on , the string is pressed down and there is no sound eg say you pick chord D, if you pick and of the last three strings there is no sound coz your finger is on these strings further up the fret , so how is this chord D, so many times when I pick ochords only one of the strings only makes a noise , I hope this makes sense, im finding hard to pick at the moment properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Sonny678 wrote: »
    , it’s hard some times to find answers to questions when you start out playing guitar.

It certainly is..... when you are learning on your own. I know it is not the answer you are looking for, but IMO a few lessons with a good teacher would get you off to a flying start. You'll learn more in a week from a teacher than in a month on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Im learnig from a book, when I pick the string my finger is on , the string is pressed down and there is no sound eg say you pick chord D, if you pick and of the last three strings there is no sound coz your finger is on these strings further up the fret , so how is this chord D, so many times when I pick ochords only one of the strings only makes a noise , I hope this makes sense, im finding hard to pick at the moment properly.

I'd suggest trying some online lessons (justinguitar.com is excellent).

sounds like you're not fretting the strings correctly. You have to make sure for each finger

1. You're pressing the string down hard with your finger just behind the fret (not on the fret)
    2. You're not touching any other strings with that finger as that will muffle the sound of those strings

this will only come with practice, work on one chord at a time and make sure all the strings are sounding clearly.

Advertisement