Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between an IT and a University?

• 03-12-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey all, just a little confused about this - if anyone could clear it up it would be much appreciated.

I have an IT around five minutes away from my house, a good one too. My course (software engineering) could be done there and to a very high level (level 8 or 9). Are there any benefits to travelling half-way across the country to attend a Uni when I could stay in my home town with my friends and do the same course? The only appealing thing to me about travelling to the likes of Dublin is the opportunity to get an internship at a company, though this could still be done in my home town (Athlone). I don't think I'll have a problem at obtaining the points as I'm currently averaging around a 'B' in my choice of subjects. I also don't really plan on sticking around in Ireland after achieving my degree if that makes a difference. I'd like to travel to the US and/or Canada for a few years. Would my schooling make a difference over there?

So yeah, if anyone could quickly clear up the benefits of a Uni over an IT and whatnot it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Suppose the general differences would be: higher ratings (universities), larger in size, more renowned (as in abroad), often more services for students, sometimes they wont accept HEAR/DARE (different schemes), larger variety of courses, usually no level 5/6 fetac courses etc.

However, over the past few years ITs have become really popular and are providing just as good courses for students. It is obviously difficult for them to compete with universities which are 100s years older than them! They are expanding rapidly and I suppose another big thing with the university is the 'snob' element of going to a 'proper college', as I've often heard. But this is untrue by all means as graduates are generally equally skilled.

In your case, I think that it definitely sounds a good bet! If it was what you were really interested in - it would be very convenient and of course think of all the money you could save on accommodation.

Best of luck with your decision anyway!

Advertisement