Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie seeking advice!

Options
  • 03-12-2013 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all, first post on boards. Woo! Here's hoping I don't make an arse of myself. Probably will...
    Anyways onto the important stuff. I'm looking to get my first bike and get riding. It's been tempting me far too long now and after having a lesson it's fairly safe to say I'm hooked! My problem is my lack of knowledge in this area and I don't know anyone else that rides so I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys?

Quickly about me, so you know. I'm 19 with a full licence, had it a year, and been driving in a rather fetching and totally manly Fiat 500 (in luminous orange, I know you were wondering) for the past 2 years now. This beast of a machine isn't mine but my mam's. I haven't had the money for a car myself but recently a bike's been looking affordable!

The ISM told me they've had 16 year olds getting quotes on 125's @ roughly €800 but the cheapest quote I've gotten on a 125 is €1200 going all the way up to *brace* €3500! Now I'm not going into this just thinking it's a cheap way to get up and running and I'm willing to put the money in I just don't exactly know what to do... SO MY QUESTIONS ARE THESE!

1) Any idea where to get a good starting motor? (Dealer or private?)
    2) Does it make sense to get an A1 licence and upgrade when I'm older/get a new bike or just go straight for the A2?
    3) Whereabouts should one be looking for insurance? Either they're assuming I'm literally gonna kill myself within half an hour of owning the damn thing or I've been looking in the wrong places.
    And lastly
    4) Roughly how much would it cost to get started? I kinda benchmarked around the €2,500 -> €3,500 range. Would that be accurate or am I living in lala land?

Again I'm sure these are mega newbie questions and I'll probably get torn apart for asking them but I'd appreciate it if, in your rage, you could help me out. Much obliged!
    Dave!

Comments

Advertisement