Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGCE Secondary UK

Options
  • 03-12-2013 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I want to do the PGCE next September. I have a joint Arts degree in English and Geography. I see from the GTTR/UCAS website that universities only allow you to specialize in one subject. I am wondering if I choose to focus on English, will I still be qualified and allowed to teach geography after I receive my award?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

a teacher is a teacher.

I qualified with Craft, Design & Technology

I have taught Maths, Science, ICT, PE, Home Ec and RE.

Oh yeah, Tech drawing, Engineering, 3D product design and Design Technology!

the only limitations (in the UK) are practical subjects.

Because I was Tech trained, I was OK to teach Home ec and Science.

if I had been (say) maths, then I would have had to do an extra course.

Quirks in the system, if you want to teach in Scotland, you have to have completed a 4 year degree.

3 year degree and PGCE Not good enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spice30

Hi I was wondering the same thing about being qualified in both my subjects when I come back.

Just wondering does anyone know anything about registering with the teaching council on return, I know now that the course in Ireland is 2 years and therefore if you train in the UK you would not meet the same amount of credit. I have been in contact with the teaching council and they said there would be a serious short fall In this area. But they were unable to give me an answer on how these credits would be made up??!

Advertisement