Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Partition won't delete

Options
  • 03-12-2013 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi I recently deleted a Linux partition from my HDD and I'm left with free space. I can't delete this free space for some reason so that I can extend my primary partition which is C:/. Image below might clear things up. Can anyone help?
    Thanks

Comments

Windows is pretty limited when it comes to partition editing. There are various rules and restrictions when it comes to deleting partitions or expanding an existing partition into free space.

Assuming you can't do it in Windows I would use GParted Live, or tbh any Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu. Maybe you've got a live CD from whatever Linux distro you were using.

You want to be careful with what you're doing and make sure important data is backed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Axidium

Windows is pretty limited when it comes to partition editing. There are various rules and restrictions when it comes to deleting partitions or expanding an existing partition into free space.

Assuming you can't do it in Windows I would use GParted Live, or tbh any Linux LiveCD like Ubuntu. Maybe you've got a live CD from whatever Linux distro you were using.

You want to be careful with what you're doing and make sure important data is backed up.

So you're saying I should use a program to delete the free space and extend my primary partition like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

GParted is the best partitioning tool I've used. I'd recommend it. Easus Partition Master is good too.

Axidium wrote: »
    So you're saying I should use a program to delete the free space and extend my primary partition like that?

You want to download a GParted ISO, burn it to disc (as a disk image) and then boot from it. Or alternatively you can create a bootable USB stick.

If you don't know how to do any of that I can explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You can't 'Delete' free space because that's what it is space not being used.

You can extend the partition to the left of the free space to use it or you can move the partition to the right of it to cover the free space which will then appear after the partition you moved. You can then extend the partition to use the free space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement