Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb ethernet port from wifi?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi first time poster here, not sure if this is in the right forum. I'm not the most tech savvy and am looking for some advice. So my problem is that I need to hook up a sky box to an ethernet connection but don't have an ethernet connection in my living room, but there is wifi available there from the router up the hall. Now I'm told you can buy a a product that kinda looks like a dongle that will "catch" a wifi signal and will make it available through a ethernet port on the same product. I'm not sure what to look for on amazon or what the terminology for such a product would be. Can anyone give advice or recommendations on such a product, I would go for reliability over cheap and cheerful. Also apologies for my god awful understanding of the terminology!

Cheers
    Phil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Hi,

they're called "wireless bridges", but are you trying to stream high definition video across it? It's probably not going to be great.
    But for simple internet browsing or the like, it'll probably be okay.

In order of preference/speed you should consider
    1) A physical network cable from the router to your TV
    2) Homeplugs ( powerline adapters ), assuming you can plug in one of them beside the router up the hall
    3) Wifi - either using a spare router, wi-fi extender with ethernet port, or a wireless bridge as you mentioned

Sample Amazon Link - wifi bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Did you contact Sky about this? I got a wireless receiver from sky that connects to the ethernet port of the Sky Box

I got it for free as well from the Sky installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, sky were offering the sky wifi dongle free afaik, so worth contacting them. not sure if it's still free, but worth chancing your arm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

cheers for the replies, to be honest i just need it to set stuff to record when im away and i need it for my skygo account, i wouldnt be streaming videos or anything like that, ive 2 meg connection so that would cover those requirements, yeah i was just cautious about ringing sky as im out of contract and dont want to be tied to a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

Good few of these on Adverts.ie http://www.adverts.ie/tv/sky-wifi-connector/4272526

• Advertisement
Advertisement