Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventure Racing World Championships 2013, Costa Rica

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Peterx wrote: »
    A retrograde rule change.
    Teams should be allowed get the best talent they can muster.
    On the other it will possibly make for closer racing?

I can see both sides. I think from a marketing of the sport POV it makes sense having national teams at the world champs. It might also encourage a more formal governence structure for the sport in the long term, both international and at national levels, which I think is a good thing.

Obviously, having had fantastic experiences myself as part of a number of multi-national teams, I love that aspect of AR.

But the nationality restriction rule is only for the ARWC. So all other races are wide open for multi-national teams as usual.

I'm not sure about closer racing though. It depends how well teams form in each country. Kiwis will be likely to start as favourites for the forseeable future though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The reports are mad! Broken rib, caterpillar bite, knocked unconscious, broken arm, getting severely lost, dehydration, trench foot, sleep deprivation so bad they cannot tell reality from dreams nor recognise team mates... Winners finished over 2 days ago and there are to date fewer than 20 teams over the line :eek: Whoever called AR messing... have a read...

It looks like it was a pretty incredible race alright. Some amount of attrition even in the best teams in the world. It sounds like Get No Sleep have managed to experience a large chunck of the course and stayed out for the full duration of the race. Good going lads! Nice one. Hopefully we'll get some stories when they get back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Whoever called AR messing... have a read...

not one mention of FTP. They're only messing..

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Here's a race report from Seagate. All the highs and lows! Mad stuff altogether.

http://www.sportzhub.com/news/adventure-racing-world-championships-2013-costa-rica-faavae-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Finbar here from Get No Sleep. Thanks to Enduro for the thread. He's hit the nail on the head with most of his observations.

We raced for over 9 days. Our strategy was to take it slow and steady and see how we adapt. After the first MTB stage it was clear the race would be all about survival. The race was physically very demanding, brutal at times. I was expecting this but wasn't sure how far the organisers would push it. They warned us in the build up to the race that we would be made suffer. They didn't lie.

We made the decision to cut controls in the mangroves after a failed attempt. We met a bunch of teams that had spent the night in there and had found nothing. We knew if we spent any longer in there we would more than likely miss out on stages later in the race.

We hit the midcamp in good spirits. We had settled into the race and were adapting well to the heat. Everyone was looking forward to the Trek as it is our strongest discipline. After serving the 4 hour manadatory stop we set about climbing Mount Chirripo. We were moving well and it was a fairly rapid ascent. On the way up Taryn was getting headaches. Initially she taught it was the strain of a heavy rucksac on her neck. We made it to the first CP on the stage and then started our push to the summit. Taryn's headaches weren't getting any better and her vision was starting to get clouded. We decided to go back down to the midcamp for reasons of safety. That meant a total roundtrip of something like 16hrs to get one control on the Trek.

Back at midcamp there were still lots of teams waiting to be bused to the raft section. This effectively meant we were going to miss the remainder of the Trek and the short 40km bike ride after it. The race would continue as normal once we got into the rafts. We completed all the remaining stages from there (~4 days racing).

The leaderboard is a bit of a mess at the moment. The organisers actually taught we finished as a 3! Technically skipping controls in the mangroves should of had us unranked but it is unclear if they actually implemented this due to the shear number of teams that missed controls on this section. We are still waiting clarification on our result. Communication from the organisers has been very poor both during and after the race so we'll have to wait and see. The most important thing for us was to finish the race and we were delighted to cross the finish line.

Thanks for following!

Finbar
    Get No Sleep - Adventure Racing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Good man DaPope! Crazy stuff.

When are we going to see a report on Get No Sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Glad people picked up how hard it was ....we didnt really realize it until we finished it and spoke to people and read the reports.

Clearly it was a test for man and machine !! It broke our bodies, our minds, our bikes and our kayak. It was relentless as we experienced what the organisers had promised the longest and Hardest AR Race.

From a team perspective we pushed very hard....very often beyond our limits as Enduro said you end up racing those around you on the ground.

Paddling for 20 hours seemed uncomprehendible- 70 hours was what it ended up being in total - Day 8 paddling the 45km mark was a 25km Canal of Crocodiles in the Dark with the gorillas roaring in the surrounding trees .... we paddled with boats tied together until we had all one by one fallen asleep - is an experience I will never forget.

We took a few pics, which can be seen here - race report soon.

https://www.facebook.com/taryn.mccoy.7/media_set?set=a.10152101752408491.584653490&type=3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    Paddling for 20 hours seemed uncomprehendible- 70 hours was what it ended up being in total - Day 8 paddling the 45km mark was a 25km Canal of Crocodiles in the Dark with the gorillas roaring in the surrounding trees .... we paddled with boats tied together until we had all one by one fallen asleep - is an experience I will never forget.

:eek::eek::eek:

Madness

• Advertisement
Advertisement