Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog taking over my bed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Some dog beds are insanely priced. I saw some good ones on amazon though for around £16.
    Single Duvets are great because they can go into the washing machine. I made 3 dog beds with double duvets people gave to me as it they are such pains to dispose of! (Cut double In half and you will get 2 singleish sizes both will fit in washing machine) Ikea do really cheap duvets €3.50 I think but are quite thin but totally grand. If you don't have a sewing machine pop a duvet cover on them, fold them over and put a duvet cover over on top (ikea have throws for €1!).

My friend bought a cot mattress in ikea €20 for her boxer as he loves to stretch! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

DBB wrote: »
    Behaviour is more my thang, but yes... Absolutely 100% committed to ethical training. For the record, there is no such thing as a purely positive trainer. Everyone needs to be able to provide consequences for a dog when he persists in misbehaving... It's the type of consequence that separates ethical trainers from *ahem* "traditional" trainers. Withholding desired rewards until the desired behaviour happens, and properly executed Time Outs are the two groups of "punishments" that are considered ethical. These are the only types of punishment a "positive" trainer will use.
    God, I do go on, don't I? :-D

It should be noted that negative reinforcement isn't punishment. It's actually a highly effective way to teach. In simple terms, positive reinforcement is addition of something (like a treat), and negative reinforcement is taking away something (I dunno what about in dogs but I know in horses it's things like dropping rein contact). Punishment is something completely different to negative reinforcement. Not saying you don't know this DBB, but it is a common mistake made :)

OP, maybe teach the dog a command to get him to move? I know with our dog (quite by accident) we taught him "move". It was mainly because, as a youngster, he used to follow me about the place and always got in the way so me telling him to "move" turned into a command. Now when you ask, he always takes three steps backwards :P
    Maybe do something similar with your dog, only for the bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

DBB wrote: »
    As per my post, yes I would say it can be a risk:

However, it's really important to put some context on this. Personally, I have no issue with people having their dogs on the furniture or in the bed... Each to their own! But only if sharing the furniture doesn't cause a problem. Most dogs don't cause a problem, but some do (further evidence that dominance as a motivator doesn't happen... If it was a motivator, it'd mean pretty much all dogs would be unliveable-withable).
    Dogs who protect their sleeping spot, or food, or toys, or chews, or their owners etc are resource guarding, protecting something they value... Just like you or I do, although I feel it's easier to understand if you picture two young kids vying for something both of them want! There is definitely a disposition in some breeds to be resource guarders, although lack of really early training by the breeder, then owner, to learn to like sharing, plays a very big part too.
    For the record, breeds that are in my experience predisposed to resource guarding are terriers, Shih Tsus (and Lhasas!), Retrievers, and.... Cockers :-o

Behaviour is more my thang, but yes... Absolutely 100% committed to ethical training. For the record, there is no such thing as a purely positive trainer. Everyone needs to be able to provide consequences for a dog when he persists in misbehaving... It's the type of consequence that separates ethical trainers from *ahem* "traditional" trainers. Withholding desired rewards until the desired behaviour happens, and properly executed Time Outs are the two groups of "punishments" that are considered ethical. These are the only types of punishment a "positive" trainer will use.
    God, I do go on, don't I? :-D

No I could listen and ask questions all day! Please do go on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yes an equally comfy bed for him elsewhere.in the home may be a solution OP - however I fear you have given him unlimited access to the comfiest spot! Human beds are exceptionally comfy and most dogs can't resist.

I have a tip that may or may not work I let my dog sleep on the bed only occaisionally, I take an earlier than usual nap for about an hour and she curls up beside me, after which I bring her out fot her nightly ablutions and she settles in the sitting room. Leaving room for me and the oh in our bed.

It's a treat to use the big bed and she knows I'll let her enjoy it again. Sometimes she'll dig her heels in and refuse to come off it when this happens I have to get very enthusiastic about taking her out and reward with a food treat.

If I was a dog I'd be smart enough to want to snuggle in on the most comfortable place in the house too.

Also re. bedding I find covering some pillows with a nice warm, hardwearing material is a nice soft cheap alternative to buying a bed - new pillows aren't too dear and used flatter ones work too / then you can rewash the outer covering when needed, to freshen them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

Thanks for all the replies.

What I did last night: 8:00 - dog went out back for a wee, 8:15 I closed the baby gate at the bottom of the stairs so the dog wouldnt come up before OH was ready for bed and I warned OH that if the dog got in my room again, the dog was going in the car for the night. Obviously this was an idle threat, I'd never do that to my shivery cocker but it did work as a suitable warning to the oh who blocked up the spare room door so the dog couldn't go wandering.

OH said the dog went out the night before at bed time, so now I am thinking he might not be well as he was also super clingy yesterday by all accounts.

This morning, I left the dog out of the spare room when the baby and I were going down for breakfast. He didn't want to go outside to pee but rather wanted to go into my bed for a little snooze. This is the only habit that has changed. I persuaded him to go out and then he went back upstairs to continue sleeping in my bed.

While this is not the forum for it and is more suited over in the parenting forum, I am doing attachment parenting with my little lad. Mostly for me, as he was a prem and got the benefit of a loving nurses cuddles for the first three months of his life at night and not my touch. It may seem a little selfish to other people but if this is what works for the baby and I, this is what works.

Obviously premature lungs + hairy (I use this term loosely) dog = bad combination at night. Hence why I was straight on to the forum to ask for advice.

OH is delighted with the arrangements because he did none of the night feeds when the baby was young and now gets an extra hour in bed in the mornings. Honestly, I don't know why more people don't sleep in separate rooms. Much better nights sleep! lol

I always think of that episode of the Simpsons:
    Homer: Okay, why do you think your mother and I sleep in the same bed?
    Bart: Because we're poor?
    Homer: Exactly, and we're poor because we have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

sup_dude wrote: »
    It should be noted that negative reinforcement isn't punishment. It's actually a highly effective way to teach. In simple terms, positive reinforcement is addition of something (like a treat), and negative reinforcement is taking away something (I dunno what about in dogs but I know in horses it's things like dropping rein contact). Punishment is something completely different to negative reinforcement. Not saying you don't know this DBB, but it is a common mistake made :)

You're quite right! Getting mixed up on the definition of what negative reinforcement is, is a common mistake, and with respect, you've just made it!

Here's a brief synopsis of learning theory, specifically operant conditioning:
    "Negative" refers to taking a reward or aversive away.
    "Positive" refers to adding a reward or an aversive.
    "Reinforcement" refers to making a behaviour more likely to happen.
    "Punishment" refers to making a behaviour less likely to happen.

Withholding an expected reward is called "negative punishment", not negative reinforcement as you have said.
    Going back to the definitions above, "Negative" refers to taking a reward away. "Punishment" refers to providing a consequence to reduce a behaviour. So, if we do not to give a dog attention (reward) when he jumps up, we are negatively punishing jumping up: removing the reward to make jumping up less likely to happen in future.
    When the dog sits instead, the sit is positively reinforced by giving the reward, in order to make sitting more likely to happen in future.

Where you're getting mixed up here, as many do, is that negative reinforcement is used to increase (not reduce) a behaviour... That is why it's called a reinforcer.
    Again, referring back to the above definitions, Negative reinforcement works by taking away an aversive in order to increase a desired behaviour: it is the relief from the aversive being removed that acts as the reward. This can be hard to get your head around, so some examples might help:
    Take choke chains: the dog learns that the sound of the chain tightening is a prelude to a chuck in the neck (aversive), and so he stops pulling (avoidance). In this case, not-pulling has been negatively reinforced. Similarly, dogs are negatively reinforced not to leave their garden in order to avoid a painful shock to the throat from the radio fence.
    Because by definition it involves having to apply an aversive, positive trainers will tend not to use negative reinforcement, although there are some scenarios in which it can work well, when used with judgment to keep the degree of aversion very low.

Negative reinforcement is very over-used in horseydom, a huge amount of things a horse does whilst being ridden, it learned to do by avoiding or gaining relief from things that are a little (sometimes a lot) unpleasant for it. Effective it can be, but because it requires the use of aversives, there is way too much potential for unwanted side-effects... Health issues aside, it is why so many horses develop vices like bucking, rearing, leaning on the bit, crossing the jaws, putting their tongue over the bit etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

We have two dogs and neither are in the bedroom. We have a child gate on the kitchen door so thats their area. I still stand over dogs should not be in your bed your husband should be there !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

wexford12 wrote: »
    We have two dogs and neither are in the bedroom. We have a child gate on the kitchen door so thats their area. I still stand over dogs should not be in your bed your husband should be there !!!!!

I don't have a husband so it cancels out lol! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hi all. Bit late to this slumber party but just wanted to add my tuppence worth...

I love my dog. I really do. Changed the car for him. Bought bikes, harnesses, backpacks and have spent a fortune on him. Raw fed, exercised twice daily and at times, even I must admit I'm a bit hard to listen to... Banging on about Hugo...

But... I can't for the life of me relate to those of you that let a pet sleep in your bed. And I'm not having a go at anyone. Each to their own! I'm just saying, it completely baffles me.

And to think of my partner with our child (should we ever have kids) and a DOG in that same bed... Does. Not. Compute.

And the thoughts of me in the spare room while the dog shares my bed with my partner and child. Really? I mean REALLY? Does this actually happen?

I'd be more terrified of a dog snapping in the dead of night having been kicked or rolled on, more than anything.

I mean, I love Hugo. He's the best dog. Soooo well behaved. But I'd never leave him alone with a child. Let alone sleep beneath one in the dark.

Hugos place is on the floor. Not the couch. And certainly... NOT the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jules_G

My lurcher sleeps in my bed. He starts off on top of the duvet, then gets in. He takes up most of the bed as he likes to stretch out or sleep on his back, legs in the air!
    I don't think he would ever sleep anywhere else now even if I wanted him to.

He's never snapped if I need to move him - he'd have to move to snap, and he's far too lazy to move :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

I share my single bed with 3 :D (2 dogs and a cat) I wouldn't have it any other way, our cat is 18 and has slept on the end of bed since he was just a kitten.

Lilly (springer) cuddles right up to me and rests her head on my neck (I gave her that habit the first night she came home)

and the JRT who was a rescue last year took to his new sleeping quarters straight away although he prefers to sleep right down the bet often on my knees :D

With all that said Im only 21 and live at home so I don't have children or oh's to think of :)

It may sound strange but whenever I stay at someone else house, Its stranger not having one of my furry buddies cuddled up to me :)

One thing which is great though, is that neither of the 3 (bar the cat some mornings) moves from their spot until I get up the next morning :)

Advertisement