Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicolas Roche - 2014 season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What's the rest of the race like? Is it possible he keeps the jersey until the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

One stage to go. 45 sec lead.
    tomorrow:
    Route-du-Sud-la-Depeche-du-Midi-Stage-3-1402419504.png

It looks like it his to lose .......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    It looks like it his to lose .......

As long as Saxo learned their lesson from last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Nice one Nico!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

godtabh wrote: »
    As long as Saxo learned their lesson from last week

Dunno about that....Oleg congratulated him on Twitter for his win in Spain today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Is there any videos or highlights going around? Nico won by a mile too, 45 seconds!

Although there are only two Cat. 3 climbs tomorrow, there is still plenty of opportunities for riders to attack. But with Nico having 7 team mates, he should be able to take the overall victory. He's also in the lead in the green jersey competition too.

Is there any videos or highlights going around? Nico won by a mile too, 45 seconds!

Here is a link to the Route du Sud YouTube channel.

They haven't uploaded any highlights of Stage 2 yet (they have for Stage 1).

In the meantime, here is a post-stage interview with Nico.

(How's your French :pac:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Swamp3 wrote: »
    Dunno about that....Oleg congratulated him on Twitter for his win in Spain today

Bertie was in the same position last weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Here's the highlights for stage 2

He looked Bertie-esque for a bit when dancing on the pedals there. Looks like that block of altitude training has paid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

Bertie was in the same position last weekend

He sure was and the team wasn't strong enough to help him on the last stage.
    The thing here is that Nico is racing in France and Oleg is so busy cycling the Tour Dr Suisse route, that he thinks Nico is in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Statler wrote: »

That link says he won hit. A big day for him.

Très bon :D

Third Irish man to win the Tour du Sud. Chapeau nico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

full_irish wrote: »
    Third Irish man to win the Tour du Sud.

And none of them Sean Kelly! Before Nico, his dad and his cousin. Not a bad bloodline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

retalivity wrote: »
    ...awaiting mpfg...

I just got back from weekend away with Internet & everything forbidden

Delighted for Nico....know he is a superb rider and can win races even if he takes ages to shift weight and get to form......so excited for Tour :D

I am getting ready for Yorkshire asap :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

and still not a peep on Irish Times website :(

Nico's winning interview - talks about S. Roche and Dan having won it already. And thats about all I understood.

The helmet strap tan line he has going is a strong look :D

full_irish wrote: »

LOL Hilarious!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/nicolas-roches-cycling-diary-kittel-amazed-by-crowds-30413278.html
    After flipping over the handlebars yesterday, I had a lot of guys come up and ask me about my crash as we rolled along early in the stage.

None of them seemed too interested in my physical state though. Instead, they all wanted to know if I damaged my $20,000 McLaren-designed Specialized bike in the crash. But that's cyclists for you.

buffalo wrote: »

To be fair its a €20k bike. It be more interested in that than Roche (given that he was on another bike riding)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

He's probably worried that Specialized will sue him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

quozl wrote: »
    He's probably worried that Specialized will sue him...

It must be wrecked if he doesn't mention it.... otherwise he would say it is ok
    Probably doesn't want ot say it fell apart after the climb and cannot be ridden e now

Good thing he has insurance !

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fortis

The cost to the public is €20,000. The cost to Specialized? Who knows. But they have got their moneys worth in publicity already anyway, even if it has been thrashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-leads-the-chase-for-nicolas-roche
    Two sources have also confirmed that Team Sky are leading the chase for Nicolas Roche with the Irish rider set to leave Tinkoff-Saxo after two seasons with the squad. Team Sky is in pole position to sign Roche, with IAM Cycling and Trek Factory Racing also negotiating with the rider.

Cyclingnews contacted Roche’s agent Andrew McQuaid, who would only provide a no comment to the speculation.

Two Irishers then, assuming Deignan has another year with them.

buffalo wrote: »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-leads-the-chase-for-nicolas-roche

Two Irishers then, assuming Deignan has another year with them.

Was just about to post this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Does this mean I'm going to have to start liking the Skybots? Love the way Garmin and Tinkoff can amend their tactics but Sky seem unable/unwill to do so to suit the race or what is happening during a race.

• Advertisement

At last... I knew those bargain alert Team Sky bib shorts from a couple of seasons ago would come in handy!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Does this mean I'm going to have to start liking the Skybots?

No. He'll have a good year with them, and then become anonymous from then on.

Not sure how to think about this. On one hand they are a top team. On the other, I just don't like them! He might be given a shot at the giro or vuelta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

I think he would be better off going somewhere like Trek where he will be given more of a chance as a leader role.

He has shown himself as a very good super domestique and i assume that's why Sky want him. With Froome having his pick of the races obviously and Kennaugh and Thomas looking like their other leaders in waiting I doubt he will get much chance for glory

Are IAM a world tour team?

Are IAM a world tour team?

No but could be by next year, they're loaded

Personally think Trek could be a good destination. They are looking to reboot next year and with a big cleanout of the old Leopard and Radioshack remnants could be a good fit for the likes of Nico with GC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Sky? Oh dear god no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Going nowhere in his career, look at his former teammate Peraud at AG2R finishing 2nd at TDF. What could have been for Roche-super domestique he will stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Going nowhere in his career, look at his former teammate Peraud at AG2R finishing 2nd at TDF. What could have been for Roche-super domestique he will stay.

did he really have the support at ag2r. Remember Gadret when Roche punctured? ag2r were (imho) not the best team for him and I was happy to see him out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

lennymc wrote: »
    did he really have the support at ag2r. Remember Gadret when Roche punctured? ag2r were (imho) not the best team for him and I was happy to see him out of there.

Agree with this, I think Trek would be the better fit of the teams that are showing interest. Sky could go either way, although with Wiggins getting more and more annoyed with Road Racing due to politics, he may leave the sport soon leaving Roche with the possibility of running a grand tour as leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Does this mean I'm going to have to start liking the Skybots? Love the way Garmin and Tinkoff can amend their tactics but Sky seem unable/unwill to do so to suit the race or what is happening during a race.

You have to have the riders, and in this tour Sky didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Inquitus wrote: »
    You have to have the riders, and in this tour Sky didn't.

or they did and they chose not to bring them :)

Thinkoff Just posted a picture letting people know new contracts would be announced soon. Roche was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Well here is my opinion on Nico. I don't think he is a leader and I base that on his ability to come near a GT win. He is a super domestique true and true. He will and can work his socks off for other leaders and then fall away. So how would a move away from Saxo work out?

Trek: Gamble. Rebuilding job and we have no idea how this team is going to turn out. If he goes there he would likely be sub lead for Schlek which would give him a crack at the Vuelta or Giro. Could work well for him although he'd have to fight for tour lead with Zubeldia albeit an aging Zubeldia.

Sky: DB is not stupid. He is after Nico as a support to plan B. Another foil for Froome and Porte should Sky have to turn to plan B. This year in the tour I think they really missed EBH and I think they are looking to have a second edition of him in the ranks in the form of Nico. Sky will be another Saxo job for him.

I AM: Unknown. They are minted and Nico could be brought in to replace an aging Sylvan Chavenel. Again though I think they could get better.

For me his problem is this. He doesn't have the raw power or racing mind set to take it to the classics. He can be good leader in shorter stage races where the Cat 1 and HC climbs are not really a feature. Throw in a HC climb and he just doesn't have the ability of the other top guys. When it comes to GT's he just can't hold the wheels day in day out in order to be a contender for a podium let alone a win. So why would someone like Trek, Sky and or IAM pay a lot of money for him if he can't any of those? To be a number 2 or 3 of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Thinkoff Just posted a picture letting people know new contracts would be announced soon. Roche was there.

What's that Nico, you're thinking of leaving? Well, what if I just move this decimal point here and put another zero there? Oh, you're ok now are you? There's a good boy. Now go and do as the Spanish/Polish/Czech rider tells you.

Tinkoff

A lot of fans dont want to see roche go (ok a couple)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Ah no..... Now I'm going to have to hate Nico.... In protest I'll have to stop reading his articles in the indo and unfriend him on twitter.

Roche will know what's best for himself hopefully. Being 2nd or 3rd wheel at sky could be better then being a leader at a weaker team. That said, I'd absolutely love to see him lead IAM or Trek into a grand tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

lennymc wrote: »
    It could probably be argued that the two AG2R riders in the top 10 this year didn't really work that well together. It worked out for them in the end, but the lack of a clear leader out of Bardet and Peraud could've blown up for them.

Regarding Nico, he's at the choice that all riders of his ilk get to - money or personal (GT) ambition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement