Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicolas Roche - 2014 season

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Roche's name is not on the latest Vuelta start list. Was he planning to do it? I thought he would be.

He can't ride it ...he has ridden the Giro & the Tour ...not physically possible

If he had not ridden the Giro he would be leader at Vuelta for TCS as Contador injured and Kreuziger suspended.....Funny how things work out
    He only ever wanted to ride leader at Vuelta and if Giro not in Ireland he would be now !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Ya I was think it would be too big an ask. Such a shame how it's worked out. The Vuelta is my favourite of the grand tours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Roche's name is not on the latest Vuelta start list. Was he planning to do it? I thought he would be.

Who is on the Tinkoff-Saxo startlist at the moment?

Ya I was think it would be too big an ask. Such a shame how it's worked out. The Vuelta is my favourite of the grand tours.

And this year it will be a cracker with Froome, Quintana, Horner, Aru, Kelderman, Evans, Porte, Uran, Betencur, J-Rod, Valaverde

With Contador not yet ruled out and Kreuziger fighting UCI to ride

Maybe best GT in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

MPFG wrote: »
    And this year it will be a cracker with Froome, Quintana, Horner, Aru, Kelderman, Evans, Porte, Uran, Betencur, J-Rod, Valaverde

With Contador not yet ruled out and Kreuziger fighting UCI to ride

Maybe best GT in years

Contador definitely out - http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jul/23/alberto-contador-vuelta-a-espana-tour-de-france-crash-injury

• Advertisement

Who is on the Tinkoff-Saxo startlist at the moment?

No GC leader id Contador & Kreuziger not in

Majka and Rodgers also rode Giro/Tour so also out

Fan boys on Cyclingnews not ruling him out yet....say he is out training !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It's not unheard of to ride all 3 grand tours, Adam Hansen (lotto) is actually trying to do it for the second year in a row this year.

ericzeking wrote: »
    It's not unheard of to ride all 3 grand tours, Adam Hansen (lotto) is actually trying to do it for the second year in a row this year.

Yea but not as a serious GC leader in the 3rd one ....could do first week and try for a stage

Heard Nico mention Tour of Britain though in an interview...TCS may not let him now as he is leaving

Forgot Dan Martin, Ryder Hesjedal & Andrew Talansky which is a very strong Garmin team at the Vuelta...could see alot from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Provisional team lists haven't been announced. I saw a couple of lists which were really just publicity bits naming the top guys - there were no Tinkoff riders.

I think he will be riding La Vuelta. There'll be a number of riders who'll have ridden all 3 this years. For the most these'll be domestiques. And for the first 2 Grand Tours this that's exactly what Nico was.

I don't see any Tinkoff leaders being there otherwise. Contador - out. Kreuz - out. Majika, Rogers, Nico - 3 tours. Chris Anker Sorenson - gash.

I don't think Tinkoff really worry about Nico taking his world tour points with him to another team. All he'll care about is seeing his team on top in Santiago.

• Advertisement

MPFG wrote: »
    No GC leader id Contador & Kreuziger not in

Majka and Rodgers also rode Giro/Tour so also out

Yeah that's why I asked because they don't have any fresh GC rider.
    They are fooked for the Vuelta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Don't know if this link will work but it is a link to the Vuelta Facebook page with lists of preregistered riders. I'd say Condator's name is on it just in case.

https://www.facebook.com/lavuelta

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Provisional team lists haven't been announced. I saw a couple of lists which were really just publicity bits naming the top guys - there were no Tinkoff riders.

I think he will be riding La Vuelta. There'll be a number of riders who'll have ridden all 3 this years. For the most these'll be domestiques. And for the first 2 Grand Tours this that's exactly what Nico was.

I don't see any Tinkoff leaders being there otherwise. Contador - out. Kreuz - out. Majika, Rogers, Nico - 3 tours. Chris Anker Sorenson - gash.

I don't think Tinkoff really worry about Nico taking his world tour points with him to another team. All he'll care about is seeing his team on top in Santiago.

I am not making the point re WT points ...just Nico may not ride it as too tired and may stand his ground...He may have been dom in Tour but he was up there in many stages...not rolling in ..Worked very hard.....And started for GC in Griro and rode very hard every day in breaks

He may not have results but there is no denying he worked very ahrd in both those Tours ...beyond ordinary doms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

ericzeking wrote: »

This will be the 3rd year! He won a stage in the 2013 Giro.

Tinkoff-Saxo's long-list of riders for the Vuelta .... is pretty weak. And that's an understatement.

SøRENSEN Nicki
    ZAUGG Oliver
    TOSATTO Matteo
    SøRENSEN Chris Anker
    SUTHERLAND Rory
    PETROV Evgeni
    HERNáNDEZ Jesús
    PAULINHO Sérgio
    BRESCHEL Matti
    VALGREN Michael
    BENNATI Daniele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

They don't have much of a choice, but they seem to have badly managed their resources. Majka, Roche and Rodgers have already done two grand tours. Contador is injured and Kreuziger is banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    They don't have much of a choice, but they seem to have badly managed their resources. Majka, Roche and Rodgers have already done two grand tours. Contador is injured and Kreuziger is banned.

Not to mention having the most annoying mouth piece of an owner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

The only way to know what Tinkov is saying though is pretty much going out of one's way to find out what he's saying. It's very easy to more or less totally avoid his outpourings, in which case what he says is personally a total non-issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

This Nico to Sky rumour seems to be gathering pace, could he be the first French winner (in a long time) of the TdF that Darth Brailsford is talking about ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Junior wrote: »
    This Nico to Sky rumour seems to be gathering pace, could he be the first French winner (in a long time) of the TdF that Darth Brailsford is talking about ?

This would make me so happy. There's no-one I'd rather see win it. But I really find it hard to believe that he'd be team-leader at Sky for the TdF.

• Advertisement

quozl wrote: »
    This would make me so happy. There's no-one I'd rather see win it. But I really find it hard to believe that he'd be team-leader at Sky for the TdF.

Pretty much no chance he would be team leader, seems like an odd choice of team for him as he will always be a domestique. Always a chance for stage wins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Tinkoff-Saxo's long-list of riders for the Vuelta .... is pretty weak. And that's an understatement.

SøRENSEN Nicki
    ZAUGG Oliver
    TOSATTO Matteo
    SøRENSEN Chris Anker
    SUTHERLAND Rory
    PETROV Evgeni
    HERNáNDEZ Jesús
    PAULINHO Sérgio
    BRESCHEL Matti
    VALGREN Michael
    BENNATI Daniele

There's no point in flogging any of their GC guys when you see the list of contenders and how stacked it is...the above list will just hunt for breakaways and stages, someone like CAS could go for the mountains jersey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Roche more or less out confiormed by his agent. Just the destination to decided.

I think sky would be a good move for him. A work horse in the TdF and leader for the Spain could be on the cards

nak wrote: »
    Pretty much no chance he would be team leader, seems like an odd choice of team for him as he will always be a domestique. Always a chance for stage wins though.

Not sure you can go for stage wins either .....need to be with leader most of the time .....opportunities rare

Better in a weaker team...can be out in breaks all day or be GC lead or both

Froome out and out leader
    with Porte, Henao, Nieve, Thomas, Kennaugh all on record sayign they want to win a GT

godtabh wrote: »
    Roche more or less out confiormed by his agent. Just the destination to decided.

I think sky would be a good move for him. A work horse in the TdF and leader for the Spain could be on the cards

There are a good few riders in Team Sky that I would imagine would be given priority over Roche as team leader.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There are a good few riders in Team Sky that I would imagine would be given priority over Roche as team leader.

True but I think Roche has GT history that a lot of sky riders dont. His Vuelta form I think would push him ahead of others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Always a chance for stage wins though.

I doubt it, strict team orders means you'll have situations like the year Wiggins won the tour when Froome had plenty in the tank to drop him on a mountain stage to go for the win but was ordered to go back and wait. Anyone else could have come along and stole the stage while Roche is left there nursing the team leader.

Well Porte may have messed up his chances at the Tour. Wiggins seemingly won't be riding grand tours for the gc again. Kiryenka and Nieve had good tours but I don't know about their gc viability. Same as Thomas. Roche is on a similar level to most of their riders bar Froome and Wiggo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

But sky's marginal gains should be enough to turn him into a gt winner

• Advertisement

Nico wants to be in a big team with strong riders like Tinkoff Saxo or SKY as they not only have best resources , they have strong riders to help if you are the leader

But these team do not suit him as they expect alot of work from domestiques and he is very serious and good at working for leaders so when any opportunities do arise in stages or 1 week races he is physically & mentally wrecked

If he was in a team where there is not such a strong leader then he could have a roaming and opportunistic remit.....go for stages or ride for GC (top 5/10 depending on race)
    For me that is his best bet for personal results but mayeb not such high pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

In professional life, you get what you negotiate, not what you deserve: its up to his manager to negotiate an agreement that his rider can live with in terms of GC contention. Roche will go in to Sky with his plan firmly in place - whatever it be.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    In professional life, you get what you negotiate, not what you deserve: its up to his manager to negotiate an agreement that his rider can live with in terms of GC contention. Roche will go in to Sky with his plan firmly in place - whatever it be.

That maybe true but if he is knackered when he gets to his plan then what use is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Ah jaysus talk about a dilemma.
    Roche YAY!
    Sky BOO!
    How am I supposed to decide?

kenmc wrote: »
    Ah jaysus talk about a dilemma.
    Roche YAY!
    Sky BOO!
    How am I supposed to decide?

Oh no the Sky train is coming. Don't see the issue myself

The results are the main thing. I think his time at Saxo was a success. Who knows what the future would hold at Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

Nico wont make it past the top 5-10 in GC due to the last few km's of the upper mtns. I personally think it is coz of kg's. I thought the Giro with the Deignan/Cataldo double act and the Rogers/Roche double act in the Tour (and Giro) was great stuff. Fantastic to see Nico in the break and on the attack most days. Much more suits him than just hanging on in the bunch trying to play the GC card for a top 10. He did come on in leaps and bounds in last years Vuelta esp the TT, just had one bad day, I think he was down a few kg's from the Tour at that and you could really tell. Sky has done good for Deignan as his big tour chance didn't involve minding a big GC man, I hope it could be the same for Nico wherever he goes.

Is Deignan in the Vuelta? At least that would be something to look forward to! Him, Martin, and Roche, now would be great!!! Roche should be well fit for the Vuelta, He had lots of days to rest up in both Tour and Giro. Shud b in top condition actually, prob the main reason he wont go is coz of leaving! Altho, if Oleg has such a poor pick and smelt a stage win with Nico he'd send him regardless!

• Advertisement

Philip Deignan down to ride the Vuelta but probably on minding duty for Froome
    He is riding Poland at the moment ...hopefully he can go for a mountain stage in next few days

Well Gazetta are saying Kiserloski,EBH, & Basso along with Sagan , his brother and Bodnar to TCS

http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/06-08-2014/boom-luisle-sanchez-nibali-boasson-hagen-sagan-mercato-9061390135.shtml

Also 5 Russians ?? (maybe includign 3 on team) according to Oleg on Twitter
    Need a big clear out at Tinkoff

Roche looks certain for SKY ............I find this heart breaking as big fan but cannot support SKY and also feel he is making a very big mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Would he be better off in a small team? No resources bu 100% off the leash for stages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Would he be better off in a small team? No resources bu 100% off the leash for stages?

It didn't work at Ag2r anyway. I'm happy enough to see him move to Sky personally.

It didn't work at Ag2r anyway.

Was that more to do with because he wasnt French (and a bit to do with the team being a shambles)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Was that more to do with because he wasnt French (and a bit to do with the team being a shambles)

prob the team wasn't as good as now. AG2R managed to get Peraud on a podium of a grand tour which I thought I would never see and hes not young. No chance Roche could do same if he went to big team because he would be looking after leader. needs to go to smaller team

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

It didn't work at Ag2r anyway. I'm happy enough to see him move to Sky personally.

This. Apart from the fact he might make a nice few bob, he should in theory get a craic at GC, prob the vuelta (not a race sky have focussed on before). I think he'll fit in well, is definitely a stronger rider than anyone on sky's current super domestique roster imo. Will be of great help to froome in the tour, better TT'er than Porte, better climber than kennaugh/big G. Should be rewarded by a crack at vuelta 2015 with a team there to ride for him.

seany15 wrote: »
    This. Apart from the fact he might make a nice few bob, he should in theory get a craic at GC, prob the vuelta (not a race sky have focussed on before). I think he'll fit in well, is definitely a stronger rider than anyone on sky's current super domestique roster imo. Will be of great help to froome in the tour, better TT'er than Porte, better climber than kennaugh/big G. Should be rewarded by a crack at vuelta 2015 with a team there to ride for him.

Porte is a better TT'er than Nico.

Yes, Nico did beat him by 9 seconds in the 2013 World Championship ITT... But Porte had some great results last year in time-trials: 4th in TdF Stage 11 ITT; 7th in the Dauphine ITT; 7th in the Tour of Romandie ITT and 4th in the prologue; 4th in the Tour of the Basque Country ITT; 1st in the Criterium International ITT; and 1st in Paris-Nice ITT.

seany15 wrote: »

Thomas placed 22nd in the Tour this year and has a lot of potential. Thomas and Kennaugh are young and already have more impressive palmares than Roche (not all from the road in fairness). Would make more sense to develop those riders.

Sky have targeted the Vuelta and are doing so again this year. If Porte can stay healthy next season, he should do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

dexty wrote: »
    Roche should be well fit for the Vuelta, He had lots of days to rest up in both Tour and Giro. Shud b in top condition actually,
    It's not physically possible to ride all three grand tours in one season and be in good condition at the Vuelta. Nico's already had a long season and I suspect he'll be on the wind down now.

As for him going to Sky. He's not good enough to really be a contender for GC and his record at winning stages is very poor really, given how long he has been around. He's a good domestique and that's what's going to get him paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'm not sure I'd even call him a good domestique

I'm not sure I'd even call him a good domestique

Why not? He did great work this year

He is most definitely not doing the Vuelta. He tweeted his schedule for the rest of the year

Update on next races: gp hambourg, gp plouay, tour of britain, worlds ttt , worlds tt, and worlds road race

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He is most definitely not doing the Vuelta. He tweeted his schedule for the rest of the year

Update on next races: gp hambourg, gp plouay, tour of britain, worlds ttt , worlds tt, and worlds road race

Tour of Britain? That will be an interesting one for him.

No mention of Man vs Beast? Its been spammed every where else!

Tour of Britain? That will be an interesting one for him.

No mention of Man vs Beast? Its been spammed every where else!

That tweet was preceded and followed by plenty of tweets about that :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement