Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike sold for us but vendor won't pay us back

• 03-12-2013 11:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

My sibling died suddenly almost 3 years ago and left behind 3 expensive racing bikes. My parents didn't know what to do with them and a family friend advised that his nephew had a bike shop in mayo and would sell them for us and send on the proceeds.

The bike sold quickly and the seller told his uncle that he had a cheque for my parents but didn't have a home address. This was provided to him about 2 years ago but he has disappeared in that he is not reply to emails / phone calls or a recent Facebook message.

What recourse do we have. Can't believe someone would steal from bereaved parents.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Can you not ring the nephews bike shop and ask for the money or drive to Mayo and ask for it upfront?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

He has since shut it and opened another business but can't find an address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

CaraMay wrote: »
    What recourse do we have.
    CaraMay wrote: »
    He has since shut it and opened another business but can't find an address.

Very little, I would imagine, if the previous business is now gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Did you contact the friend who recommended this chap? Also post on the cycling forum that you are looking to see if this chap has a new shop someone there will know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Did you contact the friend who recommended this chap? Also post on the cycling forum that you are looking to see if this chap has a new shop someone there will know.

Careful what you allege, however.

• Advertisement

It wasn't through his business as such in that it was more of a favour.

Can I go to the small claims court? Or register a judgement somehow?. His uncle has tried to contact him and each time he gets him he promises to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Small claims wouldn't cover three expensive road bikes, I'd ask the friend for the money and let him get fixed up by the nephew.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Small claims wouldn't cover three expensive road bikes, I'd ask the friend for the money and let him get fixed up by the nephew.

Sorry I should have explained he gave back two because he couldn't sell them and kept the 'hacker' which was worth max 600 but he claimed he sold for 300

Advertisement