Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TH Doolans up for sale for €330K, owners decided to retire

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

beazee wrote: »

Seen that alright, according to property. ie there id 25k per annum rates then add water and waste charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Jambo wrote: »
    Seen that alright, according to property. ie there id 25k per annum rates then add water and waste charges.

add the leckey and staff on to that, then dont forget the real nasty one called insurance, no wonder most places are finding it hard to keep going never mind making a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

Is it still open while for sale does anyone know? Coming down from Dublin on Saturday and had arranged to meet people there before heading to The Reg!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The owners are retiring so there is nothing to suggest the business is in difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I wonder if you bought it would it include all the signed money which is stuck to the wall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It's been unofficially on the market for some time now.

It's being sold as a going concern, which as a previous poster mentioned, you'd have the staff and their redundancies to worry about. Any potential buyers would be hoping that it closes in January and the redundancies are sorted by someone else.

The 25k is a balls...but there was talk of a 450k price on it a few months ago so people were probably expecting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

It's been unofficially on the market for some time now.

It's being sold as a going concern, which as a previous poster mentioned, you'd have the staff and their redundancies to worry about. Any potential buyers would be hoping that it closes in January and the redundancies are sorted by someone else.

The 25k is a balls...but there was talk of a 450k price on it a few months ago so people were probably expecting more.

€25k? For rates? FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Not sure they will find a buyer, place is so old there are little if any changes structurally a new owner could make to the place and the place finds it almost impossible to compete with the cheaper pubs in Ballybricken i predict an Old Stand type scenario eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Not sure they will find a buyer, place is so old there are little if any changes structurally a new owner could make to the place and the place finds it almost impossible to compete with the cheaper pubs in Ballybricken i predict an Old Stand type scenario eventually.

There are already people sniffing around. They won't want the hassle with the current staff though.

There is massive potential with the bar...and you could tell that the Reids had somewhat given up on it in recent years. Waterford's oldest bar...very popular with tourists and was popular with food until they stopped doing it.

If the new owners market it properly...almost like a fecking museum pub...they could be onto a gold mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Was a great pub once until the Reids bought it, its a total kip now to be honest and desperately needs a revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

shockwave wrote: »
    Was a great pub once until the Reids bought it, its a total kip now to be honest and desperately needs a revamp.

True, toilets are worse then Geoffs and that's saying something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

know 2 particular people interested in the pub but wont touch it till all ties with existing staff etc is sorted with previous owners.

just an idea on the place, would it be a good idea to remove the existing bar in the middle of the pub and open and it up a bit so more people can get in and listen to music etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I wouldn't do much to the pub itself, clean it up a bit obviously, but structurally I wouldn't change too much, from what I hear of the staffing costs and the redundancies that would need to be taken care of not to mention the rates liability still due for 2013 it could be for sale a while yet

Doing proper food again would be another change Id make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

Gardner wrote: »
    know 2 particular people interested in the pub but wont touch it till all ties with existing staff etc is sorted with previous owners.

just an idea on the place, would it be a good idea to remove the existing bar in the middle of the pub and open and it up a bit so more people can get in and listen to music etc?

Don't think they could remove the middle bar and the wall between it and the other bar i'm pretty sure its holding the ceiling up. As someone said all ready the Reid's gave up on the place years ago just like they did with the cleaboy at least now the cleaboys new owners have made it into a decent pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

The staff are the worst in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭webpal

Reminds me of my school days. Does the bok still play :eek:?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Waterfordboy13

Its a shame it closed down it was a good bar but its to expensive there, I heard it sold for €400.000 over the last few days but know one knows who bought it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 waterfordjs

would be good to see it open again soon!

Its a shame it closed down it was a good bar but its to expensive there, I heard it sold for €400.000 over the last few days but know one knows who bought it yet.

Where do these rumours come from?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where do these rumours come from?!

They got it at a bargain anyway, €400 for a pub that size. Savage.

I said I'd leave that go ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AbbotSinical

Great location if someone managed it properly and got the pub grub (back to old standard of 6/7 years ago) of the business going again but will be left on the market a long time at a price of €330k. A change in music taste wouldn't go astray either, as patriotic as I am, even I got fed up of the rebel songs.

Great location if someone managed it properly and got the pub grub (back to old standard of 6/7 years ago) of the business going again but will be left on the market a long time at a price of €330k. A change in music taste wouldn't go astray either, as patriotic as I am, even I got fed up of the rebel songs.

It won't be on the market a long time at 330k. It's going to go for more than that.

And why would they change the music policy when tourists are such a huge percentage of their customer base? What do you propose they do? Turn it into a typical waterford bar with the fcukin Jam Tarts every weekend? There's enough of those places in Waterford and they're dropping like flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

More than one site saying it's still up for auction

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Th-Doolans-31-32-Georges-Street-Waterford-City-Co-Waterford/124814/

https://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=124814#

"FOR SALE BY PUBLIC AUCTION ON THURSDAY 6th MARCH 2014 AT 12 NOON AT SHERRY FITZGERALD JOHN ROHAN, MANOR HOUSE, CORK ROAD, WATERFORD.

Superb opportunity to acquire a long established and renowned traditional seven day licensed premises situated in the heart of Waterford city.

Occupying a prominent trading position in the city, this premises is one of Ireland's oldest hostelries said to date from the 1400's.

Accommodation c. 400 sq m comprising public bar with overhead kitchen, requisite service and storage. Offices c. 116 sq m. Beer garden c. 58 sq m to rear.

Offers excellent possibilities to further develop an existing food, beverage and entertainment trade.

We are advised the rates liability for 2013 are €24,804.02"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I wonder if a chain like Wetherspoons would go for it? Could look really good with a bit of investment.
    It won't be on the market a long time at 330k. It's going to go for more than that.

And why would they change the music policy when tourists are such a huge percentage of their customer base? What do you propose they do? Turn it into a typical waterford bar with the fcukin Jam Tarts every weekend? There's enough of those places in Waterford and they're dropping like flies.

bullpost wrote: »
    I wonder if a chain like Wetherspoons would go for it? Could look really good with a bit of investment.

Not the type of venue that weatherspoons would be interested in. The premises is protected so they wouldn't be able to do anything to it. I might be wrong about their interest, but i'd doubt it. Even people interested in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

to be fair, the man who owned it was in the business for 50 (guess) years and he probably was managing it properly. the (main)problem is getting people off their as$es from their locals and into support city pubs like that. tourism and weekenders also obviously important.

Max Powers wrote: »
    to be fair, the man who owned it was in the business for 50 (guess) years and he probably was managing it properly. the (main)problem is getting people off their as$es from their locals and into support city pubs like that. tourism and weekenders also obviously important.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it was being run properly. Over paid bar men/managers. Often too many staff on. They didn't even have a facebook page. I often spoke to tourists who thought Dooleys was T&H Doolans. There is a reputation there that they could have built on. Just the proverbial 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

There was zero interest IMHO in this by the owners it looked and felt unloved.
    I would imagine buying the building next door in the height of the boom and probably leveraging the pub against it made the borrowings just too big to ever trade out of .
    Like a lot of these height of the boom pubs it had to go wallop to reset the base cost to make it a viable business.

Advertisement