Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making stairs safer for the elderly

Options
  • 03-12-2013 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I'm trying to look at ways of improving the safety of the stairs in the home of an elderly relative.

I'm considering putting in a downstairs WC etc and considering chair lift. But have had quotes of up to 10k. It's a narrow stair case and would need widening I think.

In the meantime, are there any other semi-permanent alternative ways of improving the safety of stairs? Eg safety bars that extend out on either side of stairs to break a fall? (Hand rails on either side already fitted).

(9 steep enough steps on stairs, to small landing, then 4 more steps to first floor).

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 danidanu

Kettleson,

Putting a chair lift in with 2 sets of steps (stairs) could be very expensive. Especially if the stairlift must negotiate a corner. It can also impede access for other family members (trip hazard for kids running up and down stairs).

Adding to this the cost of a bathroom, could you consider adding a room downstairs? Or a "granny flat" out the back. I have seen large wooden granny flats, beautiful design, for about 10k.

Hope everything works out for you and your family, it is a wonderful thing you are doing.

Dani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thank you Dani. My head is spinning a bit at the minute with how to proceed, so it really helps to get second opinion and practical ideas which are really useful! Thank you so much.

You can read about this sort of situation, but it's only when it happens personally that I can understand just how important it is to retain the dignity and wishes of the elderly person. Thank you Dani. :)

Advertisement