Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between Clearo and Atty

Options
  • 03-12-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

hi Guys,

I'm considering taking my relationship with vaping to the next level:o

I was looking through the Fasttech site and saw these 2: AGA-T2 and Kraken Genesis.

How much different are they really from a BCC like the Protank2 ?
    Is rebuilding hard?
    What do I need?

How does the tank work? I see no wick down the tank. Do you need to invert it to work?

Go on lads, educate me before I cheat on my Clearos for the one that everyone's talking about but is high maintenance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

With the genesis type attys, you make the wick and coil your self. You can use silica, wool or stainless steel mesh, which you then wrap a coil around and slide it through a hole in to the tank.

YouTube has loads of videos on how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Cheers Fred.

Is there any real difference betweeen the 2 I linked to ?

What is the difference between those and a clearo, vape-wise?
    Are they THAT much better ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Pique wrote: »
    Cheers Fred.

Is there any real difference betweeen the 2 I linked to ?

What is the difference between those and a clearo, vape-wise?
    Are they THAT much better ?

I've not tried one yet, but apparently there is.

How much and if it's worth the extra hassle I guess is down to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Huge difference in taste.

Some can't abide the FAFF with mesh but cotton is a great workaround. Best thing about mesh is you don't have to rebuild for aeons.

Have no idea why faff capitalised there... Is there an organisation called FAFF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Federation of Atomisers (Fiddly Feckers)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Waterford vaper

Hi all, I'm also in in the same boat as Pique, looking to delve further into the dark world of vaping. I am looking into buying the RSST . I know I would need some wire to make a coil and some wicking material, probably mesh. Any recommendations. I have a provari in the post, would the ohm checker on that be ok for checking the resistance or is there a chance I could fry the device? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/mesh.htm
    (500)

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/kanthalrib.htm
    (Every 1cm = 0.3ohm so a 5cm length = 1.5ohms)

That mesh is enough for the vast majority of people but if you want to reliably push the wattage on a single coil to 15w and above get this rope and an excellent pair of snips (or a shitty pair of snips and a hammer).
    You have to use a small bit of mesh where the coil goes as a sleeve but the wicking is incredible with rope.

Your ProVari will be fine for measuring resistance.

You either need a torch for oxidising the mesh or a mech mod and a little patience to use the pulse method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

If you want try ss rope as a wick pm me your address and I'll throw a few bits in the post to you.
    Just let me know how long you want them.
    I bought 5m of rope a while back which will last me several lifetimes!

Thanks for the info lads, really appreciate it. Just looking for info on wire now. What's the difference between all the different types, from kanthal wire to kanthal ribbon, and the different gauges. I presume I will have to make medium to high resistance coils for the provari as the lowest setting is 3.3.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the offer man, when I know what setup I'm going to go for ill get back to you.

What's the difference between all the different types, from kanthal wire to kanthal ribbon, and the different gauges. I presume I will have to make medium to high resistance coils for the provari as the lowest setting is 3.3.

Kanthal ribbon = better coverage of the wick and less likely to have issues when building like hotspots.

Smaller gauge = higher resistance but less coverage and ability for high wattage (tastes burnt quicker).

Your ProVari will handle anything over 1.2ohms so the wire I linked is perfect.

I prefer ribbon on genesis atties as it is easier as per the previous poster.

It's all personal preference though so maybe get some ribbon and some wire (it's cheap after all) and experiment a little.

Don't be suprised if at some point you feel like hurling your device out the window... We've all been there!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Thanks for the info lads, really appreciate it. Just looking for info on wire now. What's the difference between all the different types, from kanthal wire to kanthal ribbon, and the different gauges. I presume I will have to make medium to high resistance coils for the provari as the lowest setting is 3.3.

You must be after getting a pretty old provari if it's lowest setting is 3.3v.

Ionised wrote: »
    I prefer ribbon on genesis atties as it is easier as per the previous poster.

It's all personal preference though so maybe get some ribbon and some wire (it's cheap after all) and experiment a little.

Don't be suprised if at some point you feel like hurling your device out the window... We've all been there!

Cheers, I ordered some of the 2 wires, like you said experiment. I'll make sure to send you a msg before I fire the atty off the wall!! Or a picture after I throw it!!

eeloe wrote: »
    You must be after getting a pretty old provari if it's lowest setting is 3.3v.
    I know I'm new to this whole mods and rebuilding, but if you go to the provape website it states the provari v2 ranges from 3.3v to 6v. And as far as I'm aware the v2 is the newest provari on the market. Unless you have some special workaround that allows you to change these settings.

Well my Provari goes from 2.9v to 6v.

I have no idea which version I have as got it from one of the lads here.

**Edit**
    Quote from provape site : you can adjust the voltage from 2.9 - 6.0 volts in 0.1 volt increments.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I know I'm new to this whole mods and rebuilding, but if you go to the provape website it states the provari v2 ranges from 3.3v to 6v. And as far as I'm aware the v2 is the newest provari on the market. Unless you have some special workaround that allows you to change these settings.

The very early v1 provari was 3.3-6

The v2 was 2.9-6

The 2.5 is the same as the v2, just with a slightly different body design....

Ionised wrote: »
    Well my Provari goes from 2.9v to 6v.

I have no idea which version I have as got it from one of the lads here.

**Edit**
    Quote from provape site : you can adjust the voltage from 2.9 - 6.0 volts in 0.1 volt increments.

Nice one, but I think pro vape need to change the video on their site. Waiting impatiently for my vape mail at this stage. Will know for sure when it arrives.

Advertisement