Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i splice outdoor xmas lights

Options
  • 03-12-2013 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

I want to join 2 sets of outdoor icicle lights together, can i just splice the 2nd set to the end of the 1st set? Will this cause them to be dimmer or cause any issues with the adapter or fuse etc.

Comments

You could avoid having to answer that question by running an extension lead to the second set.

It's difficult to answer without any details.
    Without encouraging anyone to dare go wiring anything themselves here's some considerations.

If the lights are in series mains they will get dimmer.
    If they're in parallel-series mains you risk melting the wires depending on cable gauge and current.
    If they're in parallel mains then it's ok as long as you don't exceed the supply and the cable can handle the current.
    If the lights are low voltage DC then the voltage drop may become prohibitive and they may get dimmer at the end of the line, you may also be in danger of destroying the transformer if it's not rated for 2 sets.
    If the cable and power supply can comfortably accommodate two sets and you can do a tidy job then yes it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Thanks for that, i think ill just go down the route of the extension lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Good idea, that's what I'd do too, plus it's handy to have the extensions lead on a timer then everything you have plugged into it is on the same timer.

Messing around with plug tops is not advised.

Advertisement