Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl sewing machine - Silvercrest or Singer

Options
  • 03-12-2013 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey I was just hoping to get some advice on which of the two sewing machines on offer at lidl people would recommend?

The Silvercrest or the Singer Brilliance

For now i'd be using whichever machine to sew heavy linen to make to make puncture resistant garb. But i'll most likely be used fore a variety of other tasks as well.

I've never had any experience with sewing machines before but im usually quite good at figuring out complex devices...eventually, so I don't mind if there somewhat technical.

Just really want to know which one is the best for the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Honestly I think you should look into a second hand industrial, even just for the ease of feeding the fabric through.

What machine have you used to do this already?

I recommend you go to a sewing shop with a sample and pay for a packet of needles and use some of their demo machines.

the machines above are great for most projects but for anything heavier you can't beat an industrial.

Space may be an issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

To be honest Id get the singer. It has more stitches, overcast stitch etc. Also I bought a basic Singer (like the silver crest one) from Lidl a few years ago and it was great, still going, but I found I outgrew the basics very fast. Id be getting the Singer available there again if I hadnt already upgraded last year.

Only thing to note is I think the digital machines can malfunction a little easier. Its a great price too.

Edit: Its very important to get the right needles. Dont use the ones that come from Lidl. Buy good brand heavy duty needles for your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Einherjar101

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Honestly I think you should look into a second hand industrial, even just for the ease of feeding the fabric through.

What machine have you used to do this already?

I recommend you go to a sewing shop with a sample and pay for a packet of needles and use some of their demo machines.

the machines above are great for most projects but for anything heavier you can't beat an industrial.

Space may be an issue though.

Hey, I've actually never used a sewing machine before or actually done anything like this.

I want to start learning though as I recently joined sca sword fighting and now need puncture resistant garb. I've been told that making your own is much cheaper than buying pre-made so here I am.

As for getting an industrial sewing machine,space and money are definitely a huge factor that currently rule that option out.

@dori_dormer: Thank you for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Singer do a heavy duty machine that is better than a normal one and not as expensive or unwieldy as an industrial one. I recently sewed a 3m x2m x3m high canvas tent on one and it was great. Though if you are making a serious gambeson you should be hand sewing (but don't believe all you are told about 28 layers of linen!)

Advertisement