Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student J1

Options
  • 03-12-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Just wondering if there are any other mature (ish) students planning on doing a J1 in 2014? I'm 26 and hoping to go to Chicago for the summer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jack10123

Heya, Im in my final year , looking to head over one or two others in the same boat, are you set on heading to chicago?

send me an email if you get a chance.. its (edited by mod- please use PMs to exchange personal info for your own safety and to reduce spam)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Im heading to NYC with my american other half in July we hope. We just need to save up money to go. Have been thinking of chicago also but dunno. Im in my final year at ITB whist i wont be on a J1 visa myself got a greencard because of my girl Ill still be in the same boat as anyone on the J1 send me an im if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Lads I was in Chicago last year. Has to be the greatest city I've ever been to.. literally has it all. Quality beaches, great nightlife, brilliant festivals and always something to do. Ye won't regret it!
    Already booked to go back again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lipstik.Junky

blue-army wrote: »
    Lads I was in Chicago last year. Has to be the greatest city I've ever been to.. literally has it all. Quality beaches, great nightlife, brilliant festivals and always something to do. Ye won't regret it!
    Already booked to go back again this year.

Did you find it hard to get housing/work?? USIT put out a statement on their facebook about how difficult it is to get housing and jobs in Chicago for Irish students...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Did you find it hard to get housing/work?? USIT put out a statement on their facebook about how difficult it is to get housing and jobs in Chicago for Irish students...

I saw that statement alright.. take no notice of it! It's purely a case of them covering their backs.
    There was over 1000 j1's in Chicago last year and I didn't hear of one single person having to leave early or go home because they couldn't get a job/accommodation.

Took us about 2 weeks last year to get a place to stay. It might take a while, but everyone gets sorted by about the second week or so.
    I didn't even look for a job 'til week 3, and found one within a week... was then offered 3 different jobs that I'd applied for within the next few days.
    Plenty of jobs to be had.

Main tip would be get out as early as possible so you've your pick of houses/jobs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭cena

jjbrien wrote: »
    Im heading to NYC with my american other half in July we hope. We just need to save up money to go. Have been thinking of chicago also but dunno. Im in my final year at ITB whist i wont be on a J1 visa myself got a greencard because of my girl Ill still be in the same boat as anyone on the J1 send me an im if you can.

Your married I take it to have a greencard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

cena wrote: »
    Your married I take it to have a greencard

Yup was the only way we as a couple could stay together otherwise irish immigration or us immigration would have sent her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mattkylesmith

24 in second year doing a solo j1 this year still no idea where I'm going to do it though.

Advertisement