Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuring child is cleaned properly in crèche

Options
  • 03-12-2013 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I'll start by apologising for a post about an unpleasant subject!

My son is a couple of months off three and has been toilet trained the last three months. I'm just wondering at that age is there an expectation that he can clean himself properly after using the toilet? I always do it for him at home as I feel he's too young to master it properly. The girl who regularly minds him in crèche does the same. However if she is away he comes home with stains on his pants and is quite uncomfortable/itchy until I clean him properly. His bottom was quite red yesterday evening for example and it's obviously a lot harder to clean him when everything has had a chance to dry in.

I don't want to unnecessarily make a big deal out of it but I do feel he is too young to expect him to be able to manage this. Should I say something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I definitely would! Your paying the crèche to take care of your child's needs and one of his needs is assistance in the bathroom. If a child who was still in nappies wasn't being cleaned properly because they cant clean themselves it would be out of order! Hope it gets sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Yes absolutely say something, they are there to look after your child and meet his needs in all ways, poor child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

This seems to be a common occur acne. A friend said her daughter isn't cleaned in her crèche and we've had the same issue since my son was trained a couple of months ago. Two other friends said their crèches leave their kids in soiled pants too and don't wipe them after going to the toilet.

I think I'll have to speak to his carer as his pants are soiled most days and I don't think it's right that he spends the day like that.

I know they're trying to teach him to do it himself but I'd expect them to check that he's cleaned himself properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Well, as a carer for adults with learning disabilities, absolutely you should say it, and check that it's carried out. The people I care for need all aspects of personal care carried out for them, just like a child, and like children, we try to teach them/encourage them to do it themselves, but we always make sure it's done. I would never leave someone with a dirty bum - IMHO it's laziness/oversight on the carers part. It's not fair to expect a child to go around with a dirty bum - it's degrading for the child as well as being bad for their skin. Crèches are paid good money to care for children and this falls under personal care.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I would say something, certainly.

I understand that staff want to encourage children to clean themselves - and after all, they should, because they need to learn by doing. But if your child isn't at the stage yet where he can do it properly himself, then it's reasonable to expect the staff to check and help out if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was in our crèche yesterday evening and the opportunity arose just to say 'by the way, I've been meaning to ask you'. Anyway it turns out that they go into the loo, do their wee or poo, flush the toilet and come back out saying they're finished.

So I just asked if they'd check him afterwards as he's obviously not doing it properly.

We'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

How strange I also said it and was assured that they should all be checked and that it wouldn't happen again. Hopefully it won't!

Advertisement