Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will sponge stay fresh?

Options
  • 03-12-2013 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

If I make a chocolate sponge (with butter), cover it with a layer of vanilla butter cream or two and then with ready roll red icing/fondant how long will it stay fresh/edible? This daft notion that with it covered in fondant it might stay fresh a bit longer. If I made it on a Wed night would it be yukky by Friday afternoon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

I've found that cakes covered in fondant usually stay fresher longer than uncovered cakes. If you haven't yet covered your cake or buttercreamed it put it in an airtight box with a slice of fresh bread. I've found that the sponge will stay as fresh as the day it was baked and the bread will go rock hard and stale. I've done it on numerous occasions and have always found the results to be excellent! I didn't believe my OH's granny when she told me this but couldn't believe it was true! She was a 'domestic science' teacher in her day so I've found myself listening to her a lot more intently since!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

A sponge as in a victoria sponge type recipe with that proportion of butter or madeira type if baked this morning, filled and covered this evening will easily stay perfect for several days, at least 3/4 uncut. Once cut it will go stale quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks folks, that bread tip is handy I must try it.

Advertisement