Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd WHV

Options
  • 03-12-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi,

Reading through the FAQ; I came across this
    What is the age limit for WHV/2nd WHV
    You must have turned 18, but not turned 31, at the time of your visa application. You then have a year to arrive regardless of age (i.e. you can arrive when 31 and turn 32 in Oz)
    and the 2nd WHV :
    be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted.

Am I reading correctly, that If I arrive in Oz, as a 30 year old, on my first VISA. Even if I do the 3 months regional/specified work, I will be too old to apply for the 2nd WHV automatically?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

If you turn 31 before the end of your 1st visa you won't be able to avail of a second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Thanks Leif, that was my interpretation of it also. I rang VisaFirst however, who said that If I squeeze my 3months/88days regional work in before I turn 31, I can apply for the 2nd WHV. However this is leaving things very tight for me. Has anyone any experience with this?

Seems to be contradicting what they're saying in their FAQs:
    My boyfriend is currently doing his first year at the moment. We want to do a second year, but he has turned 31 since we have been in OZ. What can we do to stay another year?

Unfortunately your boyfriend won’t be able to get the 2nd working holiday visa as he’s already 31 and the age requirements is to be aged between 18 - 30.

http://www.visafirst.com/australia_working_holiday_visa_subclass_417_extension_faq.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Seems to be contradicting what they're saying in their FAQs:

http://www.visafirst.com/australia_working_holiday_visa_subclass_417_extension_faq.asp

As long as you apply for 2nd WHV before you are 31.

I stand corrected.

You have up until the day you turn 31 to get your regional work done and submit your application.

So unless you have a window of four months or less to get the 88 days done, then you'll manage. It wont be too stressful to get it done if your arrival coincides with a harvest etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I know someone who has done this. They arrived 30.5yrs old, did the 3 months in the first 5 months here, then applied and it was fine.

If you bothered to read the sticky:
    What is the age limit for WHV/2nd WHV
    You must have turned 18, but not turned 31, at the time of your visa application. You then have a year to arrive regardless of age (i.e. you can arrive when 31 and turn 32 in Oz)
    and the 2nd WHV :
    be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

mandrake04 wrote: »
    As long as you apply for 2nd WHV before you are 31.

Thanks, this is what was confusing me.

So when you apply for the second visa and send the paperwork off. If they accept it, does the 2nd WHV enact immediately, or do you continue with your 1st WHV and automatically change to the 2nd WHV after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Thanks, this is what was confusing me.

So when you apply for the second visa and send the paperwork off. If they accept it, does the 2nd WHV enact immediately, or do you continue with your 1st WHV and automatically change to the 2nd WHV after.

You have 2 years from when you first entered Australia. If you do your regional work in your first 3 months and apply for the second year visa after that then you will still have 2 years from when you entered Australia. Its not that confusing...

Advertisement