Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

GOOEY Chocolate Brownies

• 03-12-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

You know the ones I mean.. two seconds in the microwave and they turn into a chocolate mudpie :P

I've tried millions of chocolate brownie recipes over the years and they all turn out hard/spongy.

Would anyone have a recipe for said gooeyness? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I use Rachel Allens recipe. THe instructions say to cook for 19-25 minutes.

If I cook them for 19 minutes, they are pretty gooey. The middle ones nearly have to be eaten with a spoon
    and they go lovely and runny when heated in the microwave.

Here is the recipe

175g dark choc
    175g butter
    25g cocoa powder
    3 eggs
    225g caster or soft brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    100g plain flour
    75g chopped haxelnuts

Melt the choc, butter and cocoa powder.
    In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and van extract for 2 minutes
    Add the melted mixture and fold in the flour. Add the hazelnuts, if used.

Bake in 20cm*20cm tin for 19-25 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Chocolate Brownies from the Primrose Bakery book are the NICEST I have EVER had.

I don't have the recipe I'm afraid (it's in a book at home) and I tried googling it but I couldn't find it - but trust me they are NOM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

leahyl wrote: »
    Chocolate Brownies from the Primrose Bakery book are the NICEST I have EVER had.

I don't have the recipe I'm afraid (it's in a book at home) and I tried googling it but I couldn't find it - but trust me they are NOM

Are they gooey though? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭phormium

If you have tried loads of recipes and none are gooey then my guess is you are over cooking them. It is very easy to over cook brownies, they actually need to be taken out of the oven slightly underdone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

phormium wrote: »
    If you have tried loads of recipes and none are gooey then my guess is you are over cooking them. It is very easy to over cook brownies, they actually need to be taken out of the oven slightly underdone.

Very true.
    THe Rachel Allen brownies cooked for 19 minutes are completely different to when cooked for 25 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Is the OP looking for the fudgier brownies that resemble chocolate fondant more than brownies? Sort of like the brownie coffee angel do, fudgelike when cold, melty when hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

I've no idea where this recipe came from. Could even have been boards somewhere (been lurking a lot longer than I've had my account. lol) So I dunno where credit is due.
    I've found these always come out fudgey rather than cakey.

I think it should go without saying but for the chocolate in this recipe, I never use anything that I wouldn't eat by itself.

Ingredients:

185g Butter
    185g Good quality Dark Chocolate (For melted mixture)
    85g Plain Flour
    40g Cocoa Powder
    50g White Chocolate (Chopped in to chunks)
    50g Dark Chocolate (Chopped in to chunks)
    3 Large Eggs
    275g Golden Caster Sugar (Normal Caster Sugar Will Do

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to fan 160 deg. Celsius/Conventional 180 degrees/Gas mark4
    2. Cut the butter in to cubes and break the chocolate for melted mixture in to smallish pieces. Melt the two ingredients together, either in the microwave or using a bain marie. Once it's melted let the mixture cool a little
    3. While waiting for it to cool, grease a 20cm square tin lightly with butter and cut out a square of baking paper to line the bottom
    4. Mix the eggs and sugar in a mixer until thick and creamy
    5. Pour melted chocolate mixture in to egg mix and continue to mix
    6. Sieve flour and cocoa powder and add to the mixture. Mix well
    7. Gently stir in white and dark chocolate chips
    8. Pour mixture in to prepared tin, making sure it's evenly distributed and touching the corners
    9. Put in the oven for 25 minutes. When time is up, take it out and give the tin a shake. If the brownie is wobbly in the middle, it is not quite done and you should put it back for a few minutes. When it is ready, the top should have a shiny, papery crust.
    10. Take it out and use a flat spatula to cut around the edge. Leave for a few minutes to cool in the tin before turning out on to a wire cooling rack.
    11. Chop in to portions and serve while still a little warm

Brownies will keep in an airtight container for a good week. Can also be frozen

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Are they gooey though? :P

VERY! ;)

Well they're gooey enough for me!

Tree wrote: »
    Is the OP looking for the fudgier brownies that resemble chocolate fondant more than brownies? Sort of like the brownie coffee angel do, fudgelike when cold, melty when hot?

Exactly what I'm looking for!

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Exactly what I'm looking for!

I've never heated my brownies up but they are fudgy, like what the other poster described, whey they are cold, so I'd say they would be very moist and gooey when heated :)

I'll try stick up the recipe at some stage over the weekend :-)

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    I've never heated my brownies up but they are fudgy, like what the other poster described, whey they are cold, so I'd say they would be very moist and gooey when heated :)

I'll try stick up the recipe at some stage over the weekend :-)

I'd really appreciate that Leah, thank you! :)

My plan is to bake a variety of different batches during the run up to Christmas, take photos of each batch, freeze them, and post the photos on this thread.

Where is Coffee Angel btw? Are they homemade brownies?

Avoca do amazing 'Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies' for people's information :)

Starving now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

They're on South Ann St and they have a van on by the convention centre where they sell amazing coffee. I'd bet their brownies are homemade, they don't come wrapped. The OH brings them home sometimes, in a brown paper bag that's become transparent from the nice fats trying to escape :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

I find this recipe FAB.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/best-gooey-brownie-recipe-ever-498662

In an 8"x8" I bake them for exactly 23 mins and they come out perfect.
    But every oven is different.

Advertisement