Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Adaptor - some advice please

Options
  • 03-12-2013 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

My desktop computer is over 8 years old but still going strong. I want to buy a wireless adaptor as I am switching over to a UPC package which includes broadband and they are sending out a wireless modem. Can anyone please give some advice as to what type of adaptor to buy. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As your machine is fairly old, whatever you buy, make sure that it supports your OS - if you buy a very modern wireless adapter it may not have back-level support if (e.g.) you're running Windows XP. If you're buying in a bricks and mortar shop, check the box to see what versions of Windows it supports. If buying online, read the technical specs. Do not accept the word of a sales assistant on the floor of a retail shop, they are prone to recklessly telling what you want to hear in order to get a sale.

You need a USB Wi-Fi adapter (stick), it will look very similar to a memory stick, all the PC shops sell them. Make sure it supports 802.11n - the lower-case 'N' is important to make sure that it's a modern model which supports faster connect speeds.

You may see '802.11a/b/g/n' mentioned in the specs which is fine but (lower-case) 'G' and 'N' are all that matter these days so 'b/g/n' or just g/n' is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

UPC wireless routers are shite in fairness, very poor signal.
    I've the Cisco EPC3925, and I couldn't connect to it downstairs.

I ended up disabling it's wireless functionality, and letting my old trusty Linksys 54G router manage the wireless side of things.

Do you actually need a wireless connection to a desktop?
    If it's in the same room, you can just connect it to the router with a cheap network cable.

But if you want to connect to it from another room, then you can go wireless.

It's a desktop, so you "could" use an internal wireless network card, but
    just I'd go for a usb adapter than you can reuse in other machines if you need to in the future.

Something along the lines of this Wireless USB Adaptor

It supports 802.11g/n ( Note the "n" is the fastest mode ), and it supports WPA2 encryption which is the most secure.

If there was one which has a little external aerial sticking out of it, I'd say that would have better wifi reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

UPC wireless routers are shite in fairness, very poor signal.

'In fairness' to who? My router is downstairs, I'm upstairs with a laptop and this is what I'm getting.....

3141761258.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

My experience of the DPC3925 (the non-euro version of the EPC3925) has not been good. The phone port on the first one died after a week. The wireless on the second one has gone flaky after 3 weeks. Our ISP said they will replace it with a new Motorola model as soon as they become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dee42

Thank folks for taking the time to reply

• Advertisement
Advertisement