Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Courses

Options
  • 03-12-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Guys I am hoping someone can help me out. I have come across some interesting course that are available free to job seekers. The literature I read suggests that the free eligibility does not apply to full time student. I am hoping someone can clarify If I am still considered a full-time student during the summer or not considering I have to move to job-seekers benefit during the summer. Am I hoping for too much that, I would meet the requirement of not being a full-time student during, the, summer period since I would be looking for work during the duration. I came across something call the IE network providing links to these courses. Has anyone heard of them. What has their experience been. Was not sure where to post this so if the mods feel it needs to be moved. I am a mature student if that makes a difference. I could not see a forum for general education requirement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Generally you are considered to be a fulltime student if you intend to return to your course after the summer period and your course is ordinarily described as being a fulltime programme. But check with the free training-course providers for their definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Cheers for that it's a bit confusing on account of the fact that the BTEA payment is only made during term time. After that it changes to Job Seekers. Surely being proactive with continuous education is a good thing. Maybe they would just think I am being greedy.

One more thing Mod move this question to a separate thread if you feel it does not belong here. I heard someone say that social welfare told them they were excempt from taking a work placement in their third or more correctly they were told they were not permitted to take it on account of the fact that they were a mature student. Hope someone can clarify if there is any truth to this one because it is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

One more thing Mod move this question to a separate thread if you feel it does not belong here. I heard someone say that social welfare told them they were excempt from taking a work placement in their third or more correctly they were told they were not permitted to take it on account of the fact that they were a mature student. Hope someone can clarify if there is any truth to this one because it is worrying.

Double check that asap with the BTEA HQ. If the work placement is a specific course requirement you won't pass the course without it so it would not make sense for DSP to prevent you taking it. If you are in a paid placement then that might be an issue but its best to check with HQ.

BTEA Section
    Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Leitrim
    Ireland
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999

Advertisement