Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adnan Januzaj nominated for young sports personality award

• 03-12-2013 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

Is it not a bit soon to be nominating him for awards like this?

He's barely broken into Utd's first team. Although he may not win. Most of the other nominees have achieved more than him during 2013.

We've barely seen him play, never mind seen him as a personality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

With my red sunglasses on i say YES!!!!

With them off I say way too soon

Desperate for numbers?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Desperate for numbers?

Nah it's to entice him to declare for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm surprised he's been nominated - A fantastic future ahead of him without doubt, but probably too soon to be nominated for this alright - Hopefully he'll be nominated again next year after playing a starring role in the second half of the season for United. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I thought only British people could win the award anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Completed 90 minutes twice according to tranfermarkt. What a stupid nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

racso1975 wrote: »
    With them off I say way too soon

Its actually the last year that he could win it (he'll be too old next year).

lordgoat wrote: »

Didn't realize he could declare for them tbh.Taking a leaf out of our book!

Might as well as they need all the help they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

The more I'm reading, I'd say it could be an underhanded way to try and get him to declare.

A shiny apple for you at the end of the thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

We've barely seen him play, never mind seen him as a personality.

Given Michael Owen was a previous winner, I don't think the latter part of the above criteria is all that relevant

• Advertisement

Its actually the last year that he could win it (he'll be too old next year).
    Didn't know that!
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't realize he could declare for them tbh.Taking a leaf out of our book!

Might as well as they need all the help they can get.
    Not until his 23rd birthday afaik.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Given Michael Owen was a previous winner, I don't think the latter part of the above criteria is all that relevant

Nearly choked when I laughed at that !

In fairness its a shallow pool they are fishing in looking for 10 'name' people under the age of 18.

Heres the 10. I won't name their sports to see how many people would have known by name only.
    Dina Asher-Smith, Jessica Judd, Isaac Towers, James Guy, Amy Marren,
    Amber Hill, Charley Hull, Adnan Januzaj, Rebekah Tiler, Kimberley Woods.

Charley Hull and Adnan would have been the only two I'd have known.

He won't get to the final 3 (I don't think) but he's at least a name that will get people talking about the program which is probably the purpose.

It would probably be better if it went back to a newcomer of the year format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

He can never be eligible unless the home nations end their self imposed residency rule.

A shameless nomination

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Adnan Januzaj:
    Completes 2 games of professional football in 2013 and 9 appearances in total ..WINS AWARD!

Amy Marren:
    Wins FOUR gold medals at the Paralympics at the age of 15 ..WINS NOTHING

and that my friends is why its a complete shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Adnan Januzaj:
    Completes 2 games of professional football in 2013 and 9 appearances in total ..WINS AWARD!

Amy Marren:
    Wins FOUR gold medals at the Paralympics at the age of 15 ..WINS NOTHING

and that my friends is why its a complete shambles.

He didn't win it, he's on the shortlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

insane choice - a couple of good games , devalues the whole award in my mind - thers got to be many many more desserving young sports folk in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think it just goes to show how very little young players have to do to get hyped up like this. He looks a good player but I wouldn't be going as far to say he's definitely going to be this world class player that some say he is, as if it's a definite. It'll be interesting to see what he's like when he's given more responsibility, for now he's just the good young player on the scene where any good cross or shot he takes is automatically hyped up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd bet my house on him declaring for Belgium.

He's Belgian born, Belgian educated and ethnically Kosovar.
    Kosovo don't have a FIFA/UEFA recognised national team and isn't likely to have one any time soon. He can (technically) play for Serbia, Albania, Belgium and England (because he's been there for a few years).

I think if anyone is in any way honest about it, he's a Belgian citizen and probable sees himself as Belgian-Kosovar, not Serbian, Albania or English.

If he could play for Kosovo, I think he would, but seeing as that's not an option right now, I reckon he will declare for Belgium, his home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Crazy and pretty pathetic by whoever voted him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd bet my house on him declaring for Belgium

Wouldn`t it be gas if he won this & declared for Belgium when he accepts the award

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Young kid playing senior football for the biggest club in England. It's a big achievement. May not have won anything yet but there are people on that list still competing at youth level in their respective sports. They're doing great. He's doing great. The kids are alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does he have a personality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Young kid playing senior football for the biggest club in England. It's a big achievement. May not have won anything yet but there are people on that list still competing at youth level in their respective sports. They're doing great. He's doing great. The kids are alright.

Should have nominated David De Gea then. Just as British but has actually won something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mike65 wrote: »

Do any of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd have thought it was a p*sstake in fairness

Who nominates people for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

mike65 wrote: »

Or even speak English?

Should have nominated David De Gea then. Just as British but has actually won something.

The cynicism is fine. Just don't like the idea of people doing down the kind of achievement it is to break into the Manchester United first team, or any big club's first team.

What's the age cut off anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

He will PROBABLY go the same as other young players who break into their senior teams, sign a bit contract and then turn out to be very adverage indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Charley Hull and Adnan would have been the only two I'd have known.

Same. Charley Hull definitely has a personality. Not sure if I like it though :p

niallo27 wrote: »
    He will PROBABLY go the same as other young players who break into their senior teams, sign a bit contract and then turn out to be very adverage indeed.

Of course you'd think that.

Of course you'd think that.

Its just my opinion, we had the same hype with sterling last season and townsend a month or two ago. They both signed big contracts and have been poor since. I'm sure there are plenty other, just because he plays for utd doesnt mean i cant have an opinon on the player.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its just my opinion, we had the same hype with sterling last season and townsend a month or two ago. They both signed big contracts and have been poor since. I'm sure there are plenty other, just because he plays for utd doesnt mean i cant have an opinon on the player.

Every chance you'll be right. I just wouldn't expect you to hold a positive opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In fairness how does whether he'll be a flop or success have any relevance to this thread talking about him being nominated for an award....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aha Shake wrote: »
    Same. Charley Hull definitely has a personality. Not sure if I like it though :p

I met her two years ago in Florida, she's a good friend of my friend's little sister who has played against her in international tournaments for the US, she was a normal, awkward 15 year old then, I doubt she's changed too much for the worse in 2 and a half years.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd bet my house on him declaring for Belgium.

He's Belgian born, Belgian educated and ethnically Kosovar.
    Kosovo don't have a FIFA/UEFA recognised national team and isn't likely to have one any time soon. He can (technically) play for Serbia, Albania, Belgium and England (because he's been there for a few years).

I think if anyone is in any way honest about it, he's a Belgian citizen and probable sees himself as Belgian-Kosovar, not Serbian, Albania or English.

If he could play for Kosovo, I think he would, but seeing as that's not an option right now, I reckon he will declare for Belgium, his home.

I wouldn't be so sure tbh. Him and his family moved when united signed him, he's consistently turned Belgium down at underage right through the ranks. Which is a big deal as you can play under age for a team and it not affect who you play for when older.

I think England have a good chance for him if he sees himself as settled there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I wouldn't be so sure tbh. Him and his family moved when united signed him, he's consistently turned Belgium down at underage right through the ranks. Which is a big deal as you can play under age for a team and it not affect who you play for when older.

He CAN'T play for England. I've no idea how this hasn't been put to bed yet.

In fairness how does whether he'll be a flop or success have any relevance to this thread talking about him being nominated for an award....

Of course it has relevance, isnt the award based on his football ability.

To be fair I wasn't aware of the Residency Rule until Dempsey posted the reference to it earlier.

It's explained fairly well in this article.
    The "home nations" agreed to opt out of the residency rule in 2009. FIFA's statutes state that "associations sharing a common nationality", as is the case with the four nations, can make an agreement to remove the residency clause. Said agreement exists between the four associations.
    It would require a major change to an agreement which the home nations have chosen to stick to previously, despite the prospects being raised of Manuel Almunia playing for England, or Nacho Novo for Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Oat23 wrote: »
    Completed 90 minutes twice according to tranfermarkt. What a stupid nomination.

Is it now a pre-requisite that you must play in the Prem league? The lad, to be fair, has been tearing up the U21s for a while now. It's still a stupid nomination given his nationality, but the above comment is silly (Unless I'm wrong and you do need prem. league time for whatever reason)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is it now a pre-requisite that you must play in the Prem league? The lad, to be fair, has been tearing up the U21s for a while now. It's still a stupid nomination given his nationality, but the above comment is silly (Unless I'm wrong and you do need prem. league time for whatever reason)

Tearing up the under 21's? Really?

To be honest, if Pogba and Morrison were still at United we probably wouldn't be hearing about Januzaj, he most certainly wasn't the stand out prospect of the past few years.

Hell, Morrison has more goals and assists in the Premiership this season, and he is English too, why isn't he nominated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Tearing up the under 21's? Really?

To be honest, if Pogba and Morrison were still at United we probably wouldn't be hearing about Januzaj, he most certainly wasn't the stand out prospect of the past few years.

Hell, Morrison has more goals and assists in the Premiership this season, and he is English too, why isn't he nominated?

Because he is a criminal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

MagicIRL wrote: »

Not a pre requisite, but surely for the top award for a young player in the awards, a Championship player wouldn't really be getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dempsey wrote: »
    Because he is a criminal?

Cos he plays for West Ham is the answer. In the 60s that would get you a knighthood, these days less so!

Apologies accepted during regular office hours.

For starters, because he is too old to be nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Apologies accepted during regular office hours.

Apology for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Apology for what?

righ durr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.... the new Bojan?

• Advertisement
Advertisement